Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 12:54:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Rig Shopping Lists - any thoughts  (Read 245 times)
fiorano (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:12:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind me asking a nooob question??

I'm keen to start mining Alt coins and after much research / reading forums I have ended up at this list of equipment to begin my journey into mining.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know if it's a good starting point and what swaps (if any) would be made.

I'm looking to start mining Verge but any expert advice will be taken on board !

Seasonic Prime SSR-1200GD Power Supply
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+   (6 of these GPUs)
ASRock Intel H110 Pro ATX MotherBoard
Version 008s Risers
Celeron G3900 2.8Ghz Processor
Windows 10

Thanks for your time !!
Fiorano
PontusLSE

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:18:44 AM

Look OK to be, but I would with linux instead of windows. Hiveos or simpleminingos.
fiorano (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:22:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Good to know I'm on the right track.  Is there a reason for Linux over Windows?

Also, how many XVG could i look to be getting per day if this rig is running correctly?
simpleminerteam

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 09:03:12 PM

I think a stronger CPU should be. So that you can mining with that too. It would be more profitable.
pbuva

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:09:19 PM

Look OK to be, but I would with linux instead of windows. Hiveos or simpleminingos.

i used SMOS for many months and i really suggest Windows.
SMOS have problems with updates - mining soft updates, drvers etc.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:11:17 PM

I think a stronger CPU should be. So that you can mining with that too. It would be more profitable.
list is mostly okay but Id change a few things to reduce costs mostly

the power supply that's going to run you 250+ dollars, get a hp 1500w psu and breakout board it will cost you less than buying that atx psu, granted the hp server psu needs 220v to run at full power

the cpu is crap and its going to cause your rig to boot as slow as it can which will result in mining time lost, now if it has to do it multiple times per day and lets say it takes a couple mins atleast to boot and lets say it reboots 3 times that's 6 mins of mining lost. now think if you had multiple rigs with that config and you've got rigs restarting and taking there sweet ass time to boot, that's money you lose and it adds up quick
get yourself a dual core Pentium cpu, atleast then the rig will boot up pretty danm fast

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:12:44 PM

i used SMOS for many months and i really suggest Windows.
SMOS have problems with updates - mining soft updates, drvers etc.

isn't smos the one that charges you 5 bucks to use there stats site too? ethos is much better and stable. doesn't have issues updating or anything
I use windows 10 pro and it works just fine. has been for months now

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
pbuva

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:47:13 PM

Better to buy 2 smaller - better price and also more comfortable wiring, there is not a lot of cables coming out of one power supply.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:55:09 PM

if you want to save some moeny you can change rx580 8gb with rx570 4gb thay are almost same results .
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:18:43 AM

I think your build RIG very good. If I look you used AMD card for mining. AMD cards better mining for algo ETHASH.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:42:29 AM

Could someone sell me a reason to buy the RX 580 8GB variants? It seems like the 580 8gb variants consume much more power but only gives like what 1 or 2 additional MH?
I don't see how its worth and I can't seem to understand why people buy it when the RX 570 variant is also available and is cheaper.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:23:36 AM

Could someone sell me a reason to buy the RX 580 8GB variants? It seems like the 580 8gb variants consume much more power but only gives like what 1 or 2 additional MH?
I don't see how its worth and I can't seem to understand why people buy it when the RX 570 variant is also available and is cheaper.

that's if you mine eth or one its forks, if you mine something like zcash theres a bit of a difference between the 8gb and 4gb. 8gb version is also clocked a little higher than the 4gb model

m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 01:19:10 PM

that's if you mine eth or one its forks, if you mine something like zcash theres a bit of a difference between the 8gb and 4gb. 8gb version is also clocked a little higher than the 4gb model

But mining zcash means you will be mining the Equihash algorithm. And from what I understand, Equihash is rather COREclock intensive rather than MEMclock. So having more memory should not really affect mining hash rate so much right? Still not sold on why people buy rx 580s 8gb variant..

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 02:13:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind me asking a nooob question??

I'm keen to start mining Alt coins and after much research / reading forums I have ended up at this list of equipment to begin my journey into mining.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know if it's a good starting point and what swaps (if any) would be made.

I'm looking to start mining Verge but any expert advice will be taken on board !

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+   (6 of these GPUs)
ASRock Intel H110 Pro ATX MotherBoard
Version 008s Risers
Windows 10

Thanks for your time !!
Fiorano

Well enough setup. Good PSU with good power reserve. Just should make proper overclocking/downvolting settings of GPUs. Also I would recommend to install external 120mm fans on the rig frame opposite each GPU. It can reduce GPU temperature by 5-10 degrees

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:06:15 PM

Dual mining ETH+DCR the RX 580 8GB will use ~140 W and hash at ~30 MH/s ETH ~850 MH/s DCR compared to the RX 570 4 GB cards that will use ~100 W and hash at ~28.5 MH/s ETH ~750 MH/s DCR. So the power difference dual mining is ~40 W for an additional ~1.5 MH/s on ETH and ~100 MH/s on DCR with the RX 580.

At the current price and difficulty the extra 1 MH/s ETH + 100 MH/s DCR at 40 W of power adds up to an extra ~$2.40 a month, so basically the extra hash should make up for the extra cost of ~$40 between the RX 570 4GB and RX 580 8GB of over time. The RX 580 8GB cards typically come with better memory and will also have a better resale value.

http://whattomine.com/merged_coins/1-eth-dcr?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr_eth=1&fee_eth=3&hr_dcr=100&fee_dcr=3&p=40&cost=0.1&commit=Calculate
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:33:26 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2017, 05:46:39 PM by bigjee

Wow cant believe no one said about how they could improve this setup Huh

Seasonic Prime SSR-1200GD Power Supply Too expensive go with 2 750w psu's like Evga 750w g2/p2 or one cheap 600w and a server psu
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+   (6 of these GPUs)
ASRock Intel H110 Pro ATX MotherBoard If planning to run just 6 gpu's then this board is currently too expensive/overkill. Plenty of cheaper alternative out there
Version 008s Risers Purchase electric tape as the riser mini cards will short out as the board design puts these cards too close to each other so you will need to insulate
Windows 10

Thanks for your time !!
Fiorano

If you are sticking to a 6 gpu rig then dont waste extra money change mobo, psu's
If you look to expand then get a server psu and keep the 110 pro btc
Have you thought about the frame/case?
fthomas137

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:59:14 PM

For my 10 cents worth, the power supply is pretty important. I started with one type of supply a ThermalLake 1350w and it was truly a piece of crap. Switched to a evga 1200 and worth every cent. It hums along 24x7.

Frank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: