Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:27:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you experience fire/smoke issue?  (Read 217 times)
rizabbasi (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:04:22 PM

Hi,

Did you ever experience fire/smoke issue with RX 580 8GB and 6-pin riser on the same cable? Please share your pros and cons.

Note: PSU = Corsair HX1200i

Regards,

Rizwan

Shipping beats perfection. So "ship" and then improve (that 1%).
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:38:03 PM

I only experienced smoke with my one of my 1070s and hd 7950s in the past both were from 8 pin socket that comes from PSU the thing i found out was wiring can become hot too so i put 2 fans in the motherboard to suck the hot air out.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:29:45 PM

Fortunately, I have never experienced any serious problems except for a burnt-out riser. Even the motherboard did not suffer at the same time.
But I heard that such problems happen.
And if it was in our country, then I could not change the guarantee.
I hope in your case all will manage
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:31:50 PM

The risk is directly proportional to the coefficient of the organic matter in control of the rig.
Oakey22

Activity: 488
Merit: 322

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:39:12 PM

I use those PSUs on my rigs and have never had any trouble running the PCIE cable to 2 GPU's. I have tested temps on the connectors and they do not even get warm.

I would try and not to worry about it
rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:40:01 PM

Any specific experiences with RX 580 8 GB and 6-pin riser on single cable? 

MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:59:35 PM

If you're experiencing smoke from your rig - shut it down immediately and don't mine with it until you identify the issue.  When you look at a PCI cable, part of the power is coming across each cable pair on the 6 or 8 wires coming there - so let's say a video card has 2x 8-pin PCI connectors, that's basically 8 pairs of power wires (power+ground).  If a cards power demand is 185w (that's what AMD lists for the RX580, but obviously it can vary depending on whether you're tweaking it or not), and it's connected via a 6 pin PCIe connector, then it's getting ~61w per cable pair.  It's not quite this simple, because it can also get some power from the PCI bus (probably GPU riser in this case), but to keep it simple let's just say it's getting all it's power from the PCIe connector.  Power is like water, and each of those wire pairs is like hoses, so if one of them doesn't make a good connection, or is damaged internally, then the other wires take up the slack - so now instead of being 61w per pair, it's 92.5w.  With most consumer PSU's, it's not like mining ones which have lower AWG wires, they have the highest wire gauge possible, so let's say they're 22 gauge wires, they're right at their threshold at 60w, so once you start moving more power across them, they're going to start heating up.

The typical rule of thumb with electricity is to utilize 80% of what's available - so if it's rated for 60w, then your target should be closer to 48w.  This is especially true when figuring out your larger power consumption at the breaker/box.

Most of the time if you do see a fire, it's going to be at the weakest point in the connection - so if the cable is intact then you'll typically see the plastic around the PCIe connector melt or do similar undesirable things.  If there is an internal break in the wire (depending on the wire and how it's configured), then you might see it where that flaw actually is.

Either way, if you smell something burning, then shut the rig down and full check it over - electrical fires are no fun and generally easy to avoid if you're just careful about what you do.  Anyway, hope that helps.
pbuva

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:04:28 PM

No, but i dont have PCI and GPU on the same cable. It's just risky, and there's no reason to try happiness.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:55:24 PM

I power gpu and riser on same cable and have had absolutely so problems at all, but I also custom make my own cables for my rigs and I use higher quality wire, I also only do that with gpus that have only 1 8 pin power connector to the gpu, the ones with both a 8 pin + 6 pin would need a slightly different setup as I wouldn't power gpu and riser together if gpu has more than just the one 8 pin connector

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Switcher_NL

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:39:41 PM

The risk is directly proportional to the coefficient of the organic matter in control of the rig.

LOLZ! 😂
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:26:10 PM

Any specific experiences with RX 580 8 GB and 6-pin riser on single cable? 

Cant help here.
I dont like sharing connections and usually keep riser power supply separate from gpu supply.
rizabbasi (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 04:48:35 AM

Smiley Your comments are motivational for me. I am building rig from zero experience in assembling/hardware  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: