Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:23:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Carrying Hardware Wallets When Traveling Internationally  (Read 701 times)
chamoisgeks

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 06:41:54 PM

It is not necessary to declare the value in your Bitcoin whenever you travel since it is virtual. Although, if you are travelling, it is still safe to bring real cash in case you might need them.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
heringasem

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 06:51:25 PM

Yes, if you lose it, no one is going to have access to your wallet since you need the pin in order to access to it. So your funds are extremely safe unless that your pin is 1111...
But yes, i did it a few months ago when i went to the US.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:03:33 PM

I still don't understand why some people use hardware wallets.
I have a laptop, a smartphone and an USB-key on my key-ring.

Nobody has ever asked me anything about BTC, at airports nor on the road. I don't count border crossings, but I've been in 14 different countries last year.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Wasurod

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:47:02 AM

it will be great to Traveling Internationally with 200,000$ in your pocket.

bitcoin make paying easy, high security and mobility.
DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 01:03:14 AM

I would never carry a hardware wallets as i have had things like computerd and old school vhs tapes get erased when passed through x ray scanners.  I would just move what i think i would need to a xapo wallet. I am really not sure why you would carry it anyways.  If you planning on using them why not just sell the coins to fiat and use that on the vacation?

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
Philip K Crypt

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:14:37 AM

Send your wallet.dat by email. This way you don't need to carry anything

This is obviously the safest option. But the problem is interesting from a theoretical point of view. As Bitcoins are not recognized as money, they should not be allowed to harass you. But I can imagine that in the USA  you could get trouble all the same.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:23:44 AM

The price of the Nano S has doubled in the last few months so they must be following the
BTC miners and keeping a low supply in order to push the price up.

Don't worry if you get mugged abroad, they only wanted the Nano and not your coins
held on it

Might get one myself when they are under $30 but just now it's like buying special
Tulip soil that will be dirt cheap again after a major blow-out

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:40:36 AM

There is no need to declare anything in my point of view unless you are carrying big amount of cash. Having coins in your wallet is like having money in your bank account and since there is no need for you to declare money in your account then you don't need to declare how much is the value of coins in your wallet. Besides, if the customs inspect your things, most likely they would not be able to recognize your hardware wallet since the shape is similar to USB so they would assume that it is just a USB. Anyway, when I travel internationally, a phone with coins will do for me in case I will be short with cash.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
elizavetausova0112

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:57:26 PM

if quite simply Bitcoin is a digital currency that has increased recently by 8 times
Yakapo

Activity: 203

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:04:08 PM

Declaring your woth when entering some countries like the USA and the Netherlands, failure to which and its discovered that inaccurate information was offered could lead to consequences that might not be friendly
Nkan25

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:13:13 PM

Watch for Homeland Security, they aren't shady, just incompetent. Don't even try to explain it to them, because they'll just assume its a threat and might possibly confiscate it. Yes, abuse of power in the name of security.
ciciteng

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 08:21:49 PM

First, why the heck you are carrying around your HW wallet for traveling? I think it's too risky.
Why not just setup a desktop wallet or trusted online wallet and spare some BTC/ crypto over there for daily transaction that you might need a long the way? I think that will be more feasible.
Regarding (immigration) declaration, I think they never asked about that if you not really mention anything related to it. It's like normal account bank I think. How many that you have over there, as long as it's not cash, they never care.
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:02:29 PM

Are there many of you who travel internationally?  If you do, obviously you have your laptop as well for many people.  But i assume most of you travel with your nano ledger or trezor as well?  If so, i assume you don't have to declare you have over 10k on you right since its not a currency but an asset.  But also you aren't carrying bitcoin because the nano ledger is basically like your bank card which has money in it?  Has anyone been asked about it when flying internationally?
I do not usually travel with my hardware wallet,but i carry my laptop with me all the time and i do have a few coins in my electrum wallet but there is no need for you to inform the authorities that you are holding any digital coins in the first place and when in the future if they ask and if i am going to say no,how on earth are they going to find out,unless i say other wise,so i do not think it will be a big deal and that is the beauty of bitcoin. Wink
darina yurgova

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:22:51 PM

now You can also earn on affiliate links and make profit from the contributions of other people
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:35:02 PM

I personally dont travel a lot and when I do it I dont take any kind of bitcoin wallet with me. I dont see a reason why transporting bitcoin through a nano ledger/ trezor would cause you any problem since there are no specific laws saying this is restricted or not. And anyway I dont think many security guys from the airport knows about bitcoin.

I suggest all of you to check the laws of the airports and governments very carefully and see if they specify anything about transporting any kind of virtual money or I any other thing that could be related with bitcoin. You never know when a security guy could stop you,then confiscated you bitcoins. You can also ask at the airport if what you are doing if ok but I doubt they would have an answer because I dont think they know what bitcoin is so it will be ok.
maaydin

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:49:02 PM

absolutely there is no need to declare it because we assume it as a credit card and even if you have millions deposited there you don`t have to declare it an d there is not any rule about it.
KingFisher9

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:01:46 PM

I always travel with my Ledger Nano S  and Laptop. You made an interesting point and I didnt declare the values. It is worth thinking of whether there is a need to declare.
I will think Bitcoin to be the same as gold chain, it has a value in fiat but not yet converted to fiat. I have been checked before when traveling out of my country with my bitcoin.
Bestthefriend

Activity: 97

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:05:18 PM

When I travel very far my hardware wallet and my laptop are two things I never forget to carry along with me as I want to be able to use my bitcoins at every opportunity.
longwintershere

Activity: 224
Merit: 1

“Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data”

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 07:48:35 AM

Are there many of you who travel internationally?  If you do, obviously you have your laptop as well for many people.  But i assume most of you travel with your nano ledger or trezor as well?  If so, i assume you don't have to declare you have over 10k on you right since its not a currency but an asset.  But also you aren't carrying bitcoin because the nano ledger is basically like your bank card which has money in it?  Has anyone been asked about it when flying internationally?

Then again if you have a bitcoin wallet on your computer such as electrum or any similar ones, wouldn't that be the same thing as a nano ledger or trezor?  But the thing is the nano ledger looks like a keychain or usb but the trezor looks a bit different?  And also when you carry it, do you generally carry it as is or you put it in a box?

good point. I don't think you need to declare anything because you don't have any money with you even when cryptocurrencies would be considered as money. Ledger only stores your private keys, however the actual funds are always stored in blockchain.

TRADE YOUR DATA   ●    PDATA TOKEN    ●   ─── OPIRIA.IO ───
██████████       [   PRE-SALE     April 10th ]       ██████████
emath7

Activity: 158

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 07:59:48 AM

Bitcoin and digital money values are variable assets. We all know. These assets are exhibited in stock markets. Bitcoin and digital money holders, if they have invested in the past, are now very lucky.
   When you have a small number of assets, you can keep your assets in your online wallets. However, if the number of assets you have or the value of them increases, it is not safe in your online wallets. Blockchain wallets are safe. We can not argue this. If you protect the crypt, it's almost impossible to hack. But fraudsters will not try to break your ciphers. It tries to take over your cipher.
   Now portable wallets are very popular. I think this should happen. Because it is safer to carry assets that are in portable electronic wallets instead of online ones.
   There is another problem. Where should we keep these wallets. For if you lose, you will be lost in your possessions.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: