Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:41:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam projects killing the airdrop situation?  (Read 98 times)
lunertuner (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:34:51 PM

It appears that most of the projects conducting airdrops are complete scams used to gather your information and make you jump through hoops and waste all your time.  Very few pay out anymore and the ones that do are mostly junk.  Anyone else experiencing this? 

Any other ways to get involved without doing the scam airdrops or taking part in bounties where 80% of them fail before you get paid out?
tdeannova

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:48:57 PM

Yes, you are right, many airdrop projects fail before they do the distribution. I also experienced a strange thing after registering and following one of the airdrop projects, because I received many emails that I did not know the source. I believe this is their job and they sell the participant data.
Imfinnabeon

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

Decentralize The $15-Trillion Global Trade Industr

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

Yup those token airdrops that are completely free seen to be scams on scams on scams. The way we can prevent the scams is by not taking part in them anymore. I took a part in a few but realized it was an utter waste of time and massive scamming happening. Not worth your time and I would say stick to airdrops on real coins not tokens. It take more effort and energy to make a coin therefore less likely there is a scam than a token which takes what 5 minutes to create? Not a whole lot of thought goes into tokens whereas coins are more detailed. For instance DeepOnion airdrop which started in July is ongoing yet and we are here in December. Do you see any of these eXXX, ethereum xxx, bitcoin xxx, or whatever else scam drop around? A few perhaps but 95%+ are gone and that isn't for no reason.

tldr-scam tokens gonna scam. stick to airdrop coins like DeepOnion they are more likely to stick around because they are a coin.

hashshashin

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

An interesting assumption. Honestly, I did not even think about it. But indeed, most tokens that accrue to airdrop have no further development.
Therefore, I do not pay much attention to this.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
rasho321

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:00:06 PM

None of the airdrops are going to say straight up "I'm a scam - buy my shitcoin/shittoken and I'll give you nothing muhahahah!"

Some have a obvious flags of unprofessionalism, and others are just out to steal from you using sophisticated techniques. But the S word isn't something to throw around for everything that doesn't work out.

Some airdrops will never pan out as the idea behind it never gained traction, for whatever reason, and others just might not of had a good enough idea for anyone to believe in in the first place.

Look for things that don't appear very professional. Spelling mistakes for me annoy me immensely in marketing of any kind. Everyday talk, yeh thats fine, but if a project wants me to give them money of any kind then they can take the effort to proof read. Also an airdrop should not be the first thing an upcoming ICO does. First up they should have a relatively well thought out and professional looking website at the least, and some support contacts, and a basic roadmap. The creation of the token for airdropping should not be needed to be created until well after they've got their idea off the ground. If it all looks like it was hashed together over a beer the night before its probably not going to get far is it.

Airdrops that require you to send GAS are not really an airdrop. Its worse if you have to sign up and send all your details to find out the last thing to do before you receive your tokens is to send us some GAS because our project is sooooo legit, we want small inconsequent amounts from as many idiots...suckers... new community members as we can get! Some use this option under the guise of "Anti-Spam signups"... If they want to protect themselves from spam sign-ups I'd like to protect myself from scam airdrops. So I avoid these and advise people about them as best I can so people can know before they sign up what is required.

Airdrops that ask for a novel of your information to sign up... I'm talking about needing more than the obvious ones here as most airdrops ask for names, emails, BTT, Telegram & Twitter handles and MEW addresses. I mean the ones that want your ID, or just anything you are not comfortable sharing. Then don't share it. It might not be scam but if it feels like a violation of your interests or security. Just say no.

And make sure you are running anti-virus/malware protection if you are worried about scamlinks always. And always watch out for phishing sites for MEW/ED etc.

Most likely this is written somewhere in a more official post by someone higher ranked - but the above is how I'm trying to operate right now and just remember to use an AIRDROP mew or metamask that only has a bare minimum ETH in it. Don't freely post any address that holds your life savings for someone to check out and be determined to drain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: