Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:20:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspicious activity at Slush Pool  (Read 702 times)
shangalang (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:26:56 PM

Hi all

When the difficulty went up last week, about 4TH/s disappeared from Slush's pool pretty quickly.

Then there was almost an entire week of poor rounds.

Then, as if a miracle, that 4TH/s reappeared yesterday, about 1 hour before the massive recent run of quick rounds.

n0creativity reported the spike "Holy spike in hashing power... from 17.5TH/s to 22TH/s in a matter of minutes!").

And you can see the run of quick rounds started more or less exactly an hour later.

Does anyone but me find it suspicious that 4TH/s depart the pool for a week, and then reappear 1 hour before a massive run of quick rounds??

Seeing as the pool was running at about 17.5TH/s, an increase of 4TH/s does not explain why the rounds have gone from 3-5 hours down to about 45 minutes right now.

Does someone know something the rest of us don't?
Shangalang
DopeFish

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:09:37 PM

It might be that the pool is calculating the speed based by how fast shares are found and the pool was lucky/unlucky.
nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:42:24 PM

Hi I just registered here, but have been lurking, reading, researching bitcoin for a while. 

I currently mine on slush's pool and from some reading it was a single individual that had approximately 20% of the total Hasing power in the pool didn't like the payouts they were getting and hopped pools.  It appears that with your above statement they came back, but there was a post somewhere where the user confirmed they quit mining the slush pool.

That's the limited information I have read recently about impact on Slush's pool.

-Nachius
shangalang (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:05:34 PM

#   Block found at   Duration   Total shares    Your shares
19195    2013-07-20 14:28:49    -1 day, 23:59:21    Processing...

-1 day, 23:59:21

So are bitcoins being mined, found, and then paid out according to some distribution plan a few days later??

Would explain why we went a week of poor rounds, (as they were being found but not paid), only to be paid when the 4TH/s came back (owned by friends, investors etc). It was saved up for them. Luck is no explanation for this bs.
ralphjb

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:34:19 PM

Hmm thanks for the heads up Ill keep my eyes peeled
dcolvard

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 04:52:22 PM

Has anyone had any luck finding a pool that pays really well?  I have gone from Slush to BTC Guild and now I am mining with Triplemining. BTC Guild seems to pay better than Slush, but Triplemining seems to pay a lot better.  I started my own mini pool there and for some reason it seems like I am making more than double with my triplemining pool.  I don't have a huge hash rate, but at any given time you can see me near the top.  I am Team USA.
jflowers

Activity: 40

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:13:03 PM

Hey thanks for posting this.  I've been (informally) tracking my earnings via spreadsheet for the past couple of weeks.  The hope was to do this for two pools or so, and then "know" empirically which pool is the best at paying members.

I don't have enough data points, but I did notice that the daily earnings just didn't seem to look right.  I notice a large drop over one 24 hour period, and though - meh, I'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

You post really is a secondary confirmation that something weird happened.  I really wish that a tool existed for people to input their mining setup (ideally this system would automatically - and without bias/mistake - do this so all are fairly represented), their pool used, and daily rates. This would at least permit people to understand empirically which pools are the "best". 

Sort of like the cheap gas app I use on my iPhone - harness the power of the crowd.  Actually, why hasn't someone done this?  Wink
dcolvard

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 06:05:42 PM

That's a really good Idea.  Someone should create an app that all users could use to monitor their earnings.  The app should keep the mining speed vs payouts in a database and then create some sort of report that ranked the mining pools based on amount of pay or something like that.  I like that idea.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:02:39 PM

It could be ASIC being added for the 24-hour burn-in test for Avalon.
Timzim103

Activity: 91
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:16:42 PM

That's a really good Idea.  Someone should create an app that all users could use to monitor their earnings.  The app should keep the mining speed vs payouts in a database and then create some sort of report that ranked the mining pools based on amount of pay or something like that.  I like that idea.

Me too. BTW, I checked out tripplemining just now and it says their mining server is down....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: