Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:39:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does mining in America die with net neutrality?  (Read 535 times)
Unknown Suspect

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 04:51:23 PM

Uncle Sugar could have shut this down a long time ago; laws don’t apply to the Fed. They WANT cryptoa. They want the tax revenue from it. Especially under Trump’s watch. My dad has been a CPA for over 50 years and has seen it all. The Fed just wants their cut. Look at gambling and booze. Just pay them what they want and they’ll go away. That’s where good accounting has value. Write off your equipment, utility, and building rent off for your newly formed small business. With Trump’s biz tax plan you can expect to ride the money train legally. I’m up over $50k over the last year in my 401k account. I expect to experience the same rise during his reign.
zorachus99

Activity: 58
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 05:17:57 PM

Net Neutrality is about as much about it's name as the Patriot Act is about patriotism.

Besides, Obummer stuck a pen in his butt and said that Net Neutrality was important and decreed it to be so.  If you want real Net Neutrality, congress will have to act.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 10:29:25 PM

The death of net neutrality is a good thing.  Keep the government out of it.  We don't need them censoring what content we have access to.  Allow the free market to operate.  Some ISP tries to throttle you or block crypto sites then another ISP will pop up and offer better service.  Free market FTW!!
I think it's highly unrealistic to expect the death of net neutrality to foster the growth of smaller ISPs. As it stands, many ISPs already have "monopolies" since so few of them actually choose to compete with each other. There are plenty of areas around where I live where your only choice is either AT&T *or* Charter, not both. These bigger companies often own various construction rights and things to prevent competitors from digging/building the required infrastructure to provide comparable service. Heck, Comcast and Verizon are even fighting legal battles all the time to stop cities from setting up their own municipal broadband. So now they can charge customers even more to fuel their legal/permit battles and make sure no real threats ever rise.
Besides, I don't know about you, but I pay for a certain amount of speed. Slower plans are available.
Cheers!
That's completely irrelevant now. No matter what speed you're paying for it will be legal for them to throttle you unless you give them what they want. If they decide they don't like what you're doing, they could even block you completely. That's why I'm a little worried about mining; I know it doesn't use much bandwidth, but our ability to connect to pools and submit shares now depends on the whim of a few huge companies.
The Demon Slick

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:04:40 AM

I don't think that's true. I have a contract. I pay for a service, they provide it. Throttling done, if any, will be far upstream.
shubaduba

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

mine safe o/

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 02:12:31 PM

We vote in the US unlike Russia .. or our votes actually count and they can't kill anyone to win a vote .
Russia may vote but there votes are kill votes so to speak you can be killed if you vote wrong .

WAT?
Stop watching bullshit TV news.
Nobody gets killed if voted lol
Who told you that?

greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

This thread has gotten pretty funny.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:49:23 PM

Mining predated Net Neutrality - I don't see it's demise *IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS* being a noticeable issue, since mining is low bandwidth.

I do think Net Neutrality was one of the VERY FEW things the Obama Administration ever did that has some logic to it.

It is UNCOMMON in the US to only have ONE choice for an ISP - though it IS common for the competition to be between differing TYPES of service, like Cable vs DSL vs Cellular vs Sat (and vs EthernetToThePowerPole in some areas) among other less-common options.

I can't remember the last time I lived in a place that had only "ONE" choice for an ISP (but I concede I've not lived in a true rural area in the Age of the Internet).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Victorious5

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:49:50 PM

I don't think that mining in America will die. And I'm sure it won't die with net neutrality.
Reasons, a few already mentioned above my comment
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:52:40 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 01:14:51 AM by toptek

Hey some states are taking it to count so it will take some time to go into effect an the FCC can't make it permanent law, only congress can and they don't need trump signing it either, an in 2018 when the people get control back they will make it law that IPS are a Unity if not before. an it's about to go before congress.

I would still worry because of other stuff that could stop it trump might try to pull.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/743904/net-neutrality-fight-about-move-congress

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced Friday he intends to force a net neutrality vote under the terms of the Congressional Review Act (CRA). "It's in our power to do that," Schumer said. "Sometimes we don't like [administrative rule changes] but now we can use the CRA to our benefit, and we intend to." Were a net neutrality law passed by Congress, it would be more impervious to repeal than the agency-level policy the FCC rescinded.

they have 83 percent of voters for net neutrality  (including 75 percent of Republicans). and I looked up that % and it was higher. it's depends what poll you look at .

I do think Net Neutrality was one of the VERY FEW things the Obama Administration ever did that has some logic to it.

I'm not disagreeing with you but read the Constitution with a open mind and heart then look at what trump is doing and what Obama did then it might makes sense the stuff Obama did . o yea look up the second bill of rights FDR would have written into the Constitution if he lived long enough , that explains the Constitution better, that every America can understand and our rights in plan English, what we should not see in the US because of what our Constitution says now but has never been explained in great detail.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
The Demon Slick

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:47:39 AM

Anything done by regulation can be undone the same way. If you want something you have to make it law. It's supposed to be that way. It's good that it's that way. We already have three laws that govern the internet.
1. The Sherman Ant-trust Act. Sure, it's from 1890, but it's still going strong. It's based on the Federal Goverment's Constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce. So that thing you were worried about, the throttling people's small buisnesses or forums like this one? That's already illegal.
Ironically, under "net neutrality", regulations could have been promulgated to do the thing you seem to fear the most. However, the regulations were never finalized. Conservatives feared the regulations, which were never made public, would be used to censor their ideas. And smart democrats understood that sometimes the shoe goes on the other foot.

2. The Interstate Commerce Act. This works hand in hand with the Sherman act to allow Congress to keep anybody from getting too much control over any one resource. Google and Amazon really don't like these two laws! Someday it will probably come for them, they spend a lot of lobbying dollars making sure they don't get applied too strictly.

3. The Communications Act of 1934 -Created the FCC and gives them broad powers to regulate freedom of access and much more.

These are the 3 laws currently governing the interwebz. We had 18 consecutive years of exponential growth under them prior to this regulation in 20015. The regulation was never finalized, never implemented, and never used. It never did anything. I'm not sure that you would even miss it if it weren't for all the talking heads crying the sky is falling the world is ending people will die.
Cheer up! Everything is Awesome.
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:08:22 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 07:12:59 AM by toptek

they got paid off by big crop the head of the FCC now used to work for Verizon. weather you agree or not they were throttling speeds back then, i remember it happening , Comcast was limiting what you could use without reasonable limit .and shutting you down if you watched to many moives legally that was one of the reasons i went to Verizon when they came were i live.. don't get me going about the shit Verizon was starting to pull ...or do you remember Verizon going to count and over turning something.I guess not. even after net neutrality was done they figured out another way to get you that was illegal and those cases were dropped by the FCC now ... and net neutrality was voted on I remember the days when TOM Wheeler was asking the Public and doing hearing the right way not like they are now and it was finalized weather you agree or not it was.  once congress makes it's law it won't be so easy any more to change. you really need to go back and look at what was going on . by your comments i bet your one of those who thinks insurance was fine before the AcA when it fact it wasn't unless you were rich or had a good job People were dieing from lack of good health care they couldn't afford and still are .an if they worked there was limits on the Insurance. while the rich were getting corporate welfare and still are and complaining about the poor and still are . sorry man I'm American your not

Oyea Netflix and Verizon tried to settle it without the Government stepping but Verizon got greedy and other ISP were tiring the same stuff .

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth

gl cya .

hyet24

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:47:59 AM

The death of net neutrality is a good thing.  Keep the government out of it.  We don't need them censoring what content we have access to.  Allow the free market to operate.  Some ISP tries to throttle you or block crypto sites then another ISP will pop up and offer better service.  Free market FTW!!

It doesnt work that way.   lol  Google tried to expand in my area but it got block by AT&T and the city.
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:56:51 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 01:29:32 PM by toptek

The death of net neutrality is a good thing.  Keep the government out of it.  We don't need them censoring what content we have access to.  Allow the free market to operate.  Some ISP tries to throttle you or block crypto sites then another ISP will pop up and offer better service.  Free market FTW!!

It doesn't work that way.   lol  Google tried to expand in my area but it got block by AT&T and the city.

I like how he said the US government was censoring content when they weren't and net neutrality was the cause, if they were it would be like it is in the UK .. were the government does censor content unless they changed it.

and those so called Free markets what free markets ? .

Some ISP tries to throttle you or block crypto sites then another ISP will pop up

That won't happen either no new ISP will pop up and those Crypto sites will stay blocked ..
you know i thought the Government was the problem for a while . when in fact those regulations are keeping the Wolfe's off our backs and keeping us free ...it's not the people there regulating its the big Crop those regulations apply to, who don't care .

The Demon Slick

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 03:25:51 AM

Topeka I know you are good at what you do but you are feeling strong feelings about this. Make yourself stop feeling feelings and start thinking thoughts. Cold hard logic. Remove feelings and do a Spock.I think that if you can do this you will see better. People who have bad intent are trying to make you have strong feelings about this. Do math about your life. This has changed nothing. Your life is the same, it's still really good! Nobody is coming for you or your family. Nobody is ruining the interwebz. You are still a good person no matter if you want the rule  or you like it taken back.
greyday

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:28:30 AM

Mining predated Net Neutrality - I don't see it's demise *IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS* being a noticeable issue, since mining is low bandwidth.

It is UNCOMMON in the US to only have ONE choice for an ISP - though it IS common for the competition to be between differing TYPES of service, like Cable vs DSL vs Cellular vs Sat (and vs EthernetToThePowerPole in some areas) among other less-common options.

I can't remember the last time I lived in a place that had only "ONE" choice for an ISP (but I concede I've not lived in a true rural area in the Age of the Internet).

Right, but it IS common for your DSL and your Cable providers to both be gigantic telecommunications monopolies (thanks, Clinton) who would benefit from throttling bandwith to price gouge companies. Wink
The Demon Slick

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:47:56 AM

I got throttled! I called my isp and told them I want to step down from 100mbps to 30mbps, and I told them I want to pay less, they said ok, and then....
 they cut my service to 30mbps! They throttled me!
Wahwah.
greyday

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:43:50 AM

It doesn't work that way.   lol  Google tried to expand in my area but it got block by AT&T and the city.

I like how he said the US government was censoring content when they weren't and net neutrality was the cause, if they were it would be like it is in the UK .. were the government does censor content unless they changed it.

and those so called Free markets what free markets ? .

Some ISP tries to throttle you or block crypto sites then another ISP will pop up

That won't happen either no new ISP will pop up and those Crypto sites will stay blocked ..
you know i thought the Government was the problem for a while . when in fact those regulations are keeping the Wolfe's off our backs and keeping us free ...it's not the people there regulating its the big Crop those regulations apply to, who don't care .

"another ISP will pop up"

Hahahaha no. Even in most major cities it isn't profitable to start an ISP. So telecommunications companies have a virtual monopoly in most markets...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: