Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:03:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: antMiner S9 fan failure  (Read 296 times)
Asathelumberjack (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

Hey everyone,

My miner will boot up, and hash for about a minute, then stop.  Temp on all the boards are high 60's low 70's.  The kernel log gives the error "fan lost!" a bunch, then the failure light comes on, on the miner.  Now the confusion comes from the fact that both fans are spinning quickly.  The one it isn't reading is the back fan, but confirmed it is working.  Is there a way to get the miner to keep hashing even if it isn't reading the fan?  And at this point is it going to be the fan itself or the control board?  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Asathelumberjack
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:58:56 PM

The fan can still be spinning and functional, but if the tach signal is not reaching the controller it will still shut the miner down.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Undifficulty

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:20:48 PM

The fan can still be spinning and functional, but if the tach signal is not reaching the controller it will still shut the miner down.

I heard there was a way to trick the controller into thinking that the fan is there and running.  Haven’t done it myself, but its required for liquid cooling.
SGMPhil

Activity: 111
Merit: 14

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:37:04 PM

If the fan is failing, the best thing to do is replace the fan. Fooling the miner to make it think the fan is running fine is a bad idea as you could end up burning up the miner if the fan(s) fail.

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj
gadgetathome

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 04:36:13 PM

I've had so many fan failures I ran out of spares and found a temporary solution until the new ones arrived.
It only seems to be the Sj brand that loses the speed sensor after about 6 months although the fan is working fine.
I've also started having YaLn (Yate Loon) fans fail and completely stop.
Near the faulty fan cut the yellow wire and bare the end that goes to the plug. Then slightly bare the yellow wire (using a lighter flame to soften the plastic) on the working fan. Twist the broken fan wire around the working fan wire and cover with tape. This will make the controller show both fans at the same rpm. I think the reason the Sj fans are failing is because the tiny magnetic speed sensor stops working. Ultraflow fans seem really good but it's hard to find a low cost supply.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:40:33 PM

Stupid idea,

Just get a new replacament fan.

Here is a list including few compatible fan models,
  • Cooler Master A12038-60BB-4RP-F1
  • Delta Electronics QFR1212GHE
  • Delta Electronics QFR1212GHEXUM
  • Nidec V12E12BS1B5-07
  • Sanyo Denki 9GV1212P1J01
  • Shengjiu SG121238BS
  • Sunon PSD1212PMBXA-F-PWM

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 09:22:10 PM

I've had so many fan failures I ran out of spares and found a temporary solution until the new ones arrived.
It only seems to be the Sj brand that loses the speed sensor after about 6 months although the fan is working fine.
I've also started having YaLn (Yate Loon) fans fail and completely stop.
Near the faulty fan cut the yellow wire and bare the end that goes to the plug. Then slightly bare the yellow wire (using a lighter flame to soften the plastic) on the working fan. Twist the broken fan wire around the working fan wire and cover with tape. This will make the controller show both fans at the same rpm. I think the reason the Sj fans are failing is because the tiny magnetic speed sensor stops working. Ultraflow fans seem really good but it's hard to find a low cost supply.

This is a TERRIBLE idea. The fans need to function at different speeds for air flow purposes and faking the tach signal with a fan spinning faster will cause issues. Fans are cheap, just replace the damn thing.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: