Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:07:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 GPU Vega CryptoNight Mining Build - Will this work?  (Read 531 times)
Pickle-Rick (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 12:39:14 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2017, 05:06:01 PM by Pickle-Rick

GPU    
8 x Vega 56

PSU    
2 x Corsair HX1000i

MOBO
ASRock H110 Pro BTC+

CPU  
Intel Celeron G4400

RAM
HyperX FURY Series 8GB

SSD
SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB

------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from risers, I think that covers everything. Is there anything wrong with the build above? Can it be improved?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 01:31:13 AM

Did you check if those Corsair PSUs are going to have enough connectors for 8 Vegas? (Note that you usually want to avoid powering too many PCIe adapters with molex or SATA connectors from the same line. Also remember that powered risers need their own SATA/molex/6-pin PCIe connectors, depending on which you select.)

Additionally, I'm a little concerned about power in general. The Vega 56 is a pretty power-hungry card, and, for 24/7 operation, you definitely don't want to push those PSUs too close to the ratings. Channel Well (CWT) has gotten better over the years since they started working with Corsair, but I still wouldn't consider their units to be on par with Seasonic/FSP/SuperFlower.

The Celeron *might* have problems running mining software optimally, but some people have said the Celerons are fine for their multi-GPU rigs. If a nicer processor is available for a small amount more, you may wish to consider it.

8GB of RAM is probably overkill, but if you want to be able to reuse it in the future with a general desktop, it's obviously better than 4GB.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
bill121

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 02:02:23 AM

Im running a vega rig and only run 3x vegas per gpu on 850W psus. If you plan to mod the cards to run @180W then you should be ok. My Vega 56s run around 220W mining without modding the cards using blockchain drivers. Personally id keep the 8gb RAM i had issues getting cards to mine at full speeds without it but others have managed it.

Celeron CPU works fine on for me but id agree if you can get an i3 or better for a few extra bucks i found it saves a fair bit of time resetting the miner and wattman when needed.

What kind of frame do you plan to use? My first one was a open DIY with good spacing but when i built one using a bought frame the cards run 20% hotter without some extra fans cos they are a bit closer together.
Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 05:18:52 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I have changed it to 2x 1000w PSU's which should then be more than enough even if the power saving tweaks were to fail. Also gives some headroom if I wanted to transition into a non cryptonight algo which uses more power.

Also I have changed it from a G3900 CPU to a G4400 which is quite a bit more powerful for very little more money.

Regarding the frame, I have my eye on two different ones on ebay, both are double decker ones. One is a custom made wooden frame for about $40 and the other a little over double that but it is steel. I feel more comfortable with steel to be honest. I would hate for the stripwood to somehow break with such expensive gear.

I think 10cm spacing should be enough to keep them cool as I understand it.

I have looked and the PSU's should have enough PCIe adapters, as each cable can run one card and there is at least 4 per PSU. As this is one of Corsairs top PSU's it is very much in line with the other brands mentioned. They use mostly the same stuff as far as I can see, so it should be okay.

Any other advice from anyone?

There should be no problems running 8 Vega GPU's in one system should there? I think 8 is the limit however at the moment. It is either this or split it into two separate systems with a cheaper motherboard, but that will cost a bit more and use a bit more electricity. Not to mention having to monitor an extra system.
Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:38:40 PM

GPU    
8 x Vega 56

PSU    
2 x Corsair HX1000i

MOBO
ASRock H110 Pro BTC+

CPU  
Intel Celeron G4400

RAM
HyperX FURY Series 8GB

SSD
SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB

Apart from risers, I think that covers everything. Is there anything wrong with the build above? Can it be improved?

Pls change the motherboard. I don´t know whats the others will say on it, but for me it´s a piece of junk if you want to use more than 5x vegas...
Asus mining expert is better.
bursta

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:53:06 PM

Pls change the motherboard. I don´t know whats the others will say on it, but for me it´s a piece of junk if you want to use more than 5x vegas...

I agree, go with Asus Prime Z270 A of P, i'm using both of them and they work fine with 8x RX 580 (you'll need 1 or 2 M.2 to PCIe cards).

Cheers
duyquang06

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 03:01:58 AM

Better go with 12-16gb ram
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:36:53 AM

this is my specs running six vega56
asus z270p
g4400
4gb ram
6 sapphire rx vega56
sandisk 120gb ssd
two corsair rm850x psu
total hashrate is 11700h/s with 1040w from wall

your specs are perfectly fine and it should support eight vegas
Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 09:18:38 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone. Anyone here actually have a 8 vega gpu rig running?

GPU    
8 x Vega 56

PSU    
2 x Corsair HX1000i

MOBO
ASRock H110 Pro BTC+

CPU  
Intel Celeron G4400

RAM
HyperX FURY Series 8GB

SSD
SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB

None in stock where I live. Is the Asrock that bad? When was it you had this problem, maybe since they have updated bios?

this is my specs running six vega56
asus z270p
g4400
4gb ram
6 sapphire rx vega56
sandisk 120gb ssd
two corsair rm850x psu
total hashrate is 11700h/s with 1040w from wall

your specs are perfectly fine and it should support eight vegas

I am starting to think it maybe I am better of building a 6 gpu rig instead as it seems like less hassle will be involved in getting it to work if I just use what you are. But would probably pay the little extra to go for the hx850i’s instead.
PontusLSE

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 09:30:56 AM

I have no idea why everyone is so hard on the Asrock H110 Pro BTC+. Its a great board.

I have 10 of them running with different configurations, from 7 to 13 cards and I have not had a single problem related to the motherboard.

It is pretty much "plug and play", the only bios setting to be  changes is to boot automatically when the power goes out.

Disclaimer, I have not been running it with 8 vegas, yet. I get my Vegas the coming week and will then build a 10 GPU Vega build using this motherboard.

Good luck!

Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:04:29 PM

Thanks. Still not purchased anything.

Necroface

Activity: 518
Merit: 102

simply getting the job done

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 10:36:09 PM

You may use asus z270 p has 6 pci 2 m2, works well

Mycro Jobs                                                                                                                                                
| SIMPLY GETTING THE JOB DONE
⟩                                                                                                                                                      
                                                    ⟩⟩ Telegram ⟩⟩ Twitter ⟩⟩ Medium ⟩⟩ Github ⟩⟩ Instagram ⟩⟩ LinkedIn ⟩⟩ YouTube ⟩⟩ Facebook
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:52:26 PM

Thanks. Still not purchased anything.

I wish you luck in getting 8 vegas running on one board. I know some guys had some real headaches getting that many vegas working properly.

I encourage you to read through the following threads/guides:
Vega thread  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2002025.0
Cast thread   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2256917.0
vega.miningguides.com

I opted to build two rigs with 4 cards a pop. Granted, this was before we had figured out how to get more than 4 cards running. However given the choice today, I still might end up choosing two builds over one. Could always expand even more later.

Also if you're not going to build your own frame and plan on spending around $80 for a metal one off of ebay, I'd suggest looking into 4U server cases. They're not for everybody and you will have to modify them a bit but I love my two Rosewill 4U cases. Directed airflow with blower style cards is wonderful. My rigs are mounted on a rack in the garage - perfect for me. Though each 4U case can probably only fit say 6 cards comfortably - something to think about.
Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:40:45 PM

Thanks for the info.

What do you guys think, is 10cm ideal for spacing between cards, or is 7-8cm enough?
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:45:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtVfbxh3_E

6 Vega 64 drawing only 1000W.
Permonik

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:10:05 PM

My rig with 8x vega 64 drawing 1400W with 15600h/s.
Permonik

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:13:50 PM

I have no idea why everyone is so hard on the Asrock H110 Pro BTC+. Its a great board.

I have 10 of them running with different configurations, from 7 to 13 cards and I have not had a single problem related to the motherboard.

It is pretty much "plug and play", the only bios setting to be  changes is to boot automatically when the power goes out.

Disclaimer, I have not been running it with 8 vegas, yet. I get my Vegas the coming week and will then build a 10 GPU Vega build using this motherboard.

Good luck!

Hi, because this board is a piece of junk if you want to use 8x vega or more. On this board I had 2 or more mining failures per day (windows freezing or something like that). After tripple checking of everything I decided that is a problem of mobo. So I exchange it for asus mining expert and viola no more crashes. Rig is stable for more than a week...
Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:15:38 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2017, 12:38:47 PM by Pickle-Rick

My rig with 8x vega 64 drawing 1400W with 15600h/s.

If I may kindly ask, what are the specs of the rest of your build and which guide did you follow? Thanks
leoirssi

Activity: 103

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:51:19 PM

This setup should work, but condsider using Ubuntu as OS...you'll sleep better Smiley
Pickle-Rick (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:53:05 PM

This setup should work, but condsider using Ubuntu as OS...you'll sleep better Smiley

Elaborate please Smiley

All the guides I have seen use windows.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: