Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:09:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Both SHA-256 & Scrypt on a single GPU  (Read 1330 times)
Crypto Elysium (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:50:28 AM

Hi, very first post.

I understand that SHA-256 uses the core clock of a card and Scrypt uses the cards memory.

So I was wondering if it's possible to mine both scrypt and SHA-256 algorithms on a single graphics card at the same time without worrying about frying the hardware.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Drug5bitz

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:22:05 AM

No, No, No, No, No. Mining in general is hot. turn your memory up mining BTC and watch your hashrate drop and heat rise.

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

BTC Address 1DX24XAojH2qjAgFzbME81o9BD3yDjfGLR
Crypto Elysium (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:46:32 AM

Okay.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll stick to scrypt.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:47:41 AM

Hi, very first post.

I understand that SHA-256 uses the core clock of a card and Scrypt uses the cards memory.

So I was wondering if it's possible to mine both scrypt and SHA-256 algorithms on a single graphics card at the same time without worrying about frying the hardware.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

That is incorrect.  Both use the "compute" portion of GPU it just happens that Scrypt has higher memory requirements.  Just the memory of a GPU will compute exactly nothing.  You can't mine both at the same time on the same hardware.  Scrypt doesn't even use the GPU "main memory" it uses about 128KB (that right less than 1MB) of cache found on the GPU chip itself.
Crypto Elysium (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:44:48 AM

Thank you.

That's cleared up a lot of confusion.

The only information I could find on the subject was this, from someone who asked a similar question.

"Rationale: Hashrate of scrypt mining is limited by memory bandwidth. That means that some of the processor cycles are wasted because the processors are waiting data from RAM. These wasted processor cycles could be used insted for sha256 mining which needs much less bandwidth."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: