Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:12:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply - Thermaltake SMART M1200W  (Read 1553 times)
coin2013 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:59:03 AM

I have a Thermaltake "SMART M1200W" PSU. I currently have 3 MSI 7950's TWIN FROZR 3GD5/OC and would like to add a 4th. However I'm not sure how to make that work with the power supply that I have. It only came with 6 PCI-E, and I have used all six of those for the GPU's that I have. On the back of the CPU their are only 3 plug ins that fit that particular cord and they are now all used. There are other plug in's on the back but none that will fit another cord like that. Any advice on how to be able to add a 4th GPU to my rig without needing to buy another PSU?
Roryboy

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:13:50 AM

Your card should have come with a molex to pci-e adapter.  You can use those but from my experience if you try to put one GPU on one molex cable it gets very hot and could melt. My suggestion would be to use 2 seperate molex cables for one GPU.
coin2013 (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:20:29 AM

That sounds like it should work. The GPU only came with one molex to pci-e adapter but I could grab another molex to pci-e adapter from one of the other units, so there are two power cords going to it.

Out of curiosity, why would they only include one molex to pci-e adapter, when in reality you are supposed to have two pci-e plug ins?

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: