Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:03:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if..?  (Read 653 times)
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1042
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 02:22:01 AM

Hey guys. Was wondering. What would happen if one were to remove the genesis block and checkpoints from sayyy, bitcoins source. Recompile it with a genesis block of another sha-256 or scrypt coin, and use it on their own systems? Would they start their own blockchain? Or if they were to go in and change values, then recompile and use. What would happen?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:23:22 AM

The apocalypse would start and the world will blow up

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 02:26:47 AM

Sad I knew someone wouldnt be able to answerr it properly :cryfacehard:

FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:29:18 AM

If you want to make a copy of Bitcoin, just clone it's source.

Yes, you can start your own private blockchain with whatever properties you want.

You can have the difficulty at 0.01 with 1,000 coins per block.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 02:45:26 AM

If you want to make a copy of Bitcoin, just clone it's source.

Yes, you can start your own private blockchain with whatever properties you want.

You can have the difficulty at 0.01 with 1,000 coins per block.

So if I copied its source, and changed proerties it would work? What about the genesis block. WOuldnt it just sync with the rest if the genesis block were the same?

ilovealtcoins

Activity: 1246
Merit: 263

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:53:36 AM

I don't think that would work... If you kept all the other checkpoints the same it for sure wouldn't.

Because every block contains value from the last block your genesis block wouldn't be compatible with the rest of the chain.
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 02:55:38 AM

I don't think that would work... If you kept all the other checkpoints the same it for sure wouldn't.

Because every block contains value from the last block your genesis block wouldn't be compatible with the rest of the chain.

I really would appreciate some input guys. Im sick of studying scrypt and need a sha-256 i can work on between my 2 servers and test on Sad

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:58:02 AM

I really would appreciate some input guys. Im sick of studying scrypt and need a sha-256 i can work on between my 2 servers and test on Sad

Well... I would suggest that you clone the Bitcoin source and read Shakezula's guide on creating a scrypt coin because a lot of the values are the same... One of the only different things is generating a Genesis block but there is a python script that can do that. You just input the merkle root you generated before.
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 02:59:44 AM

Well... I would suggest that you clone the Bitcoin source and read Shakezula's guide on creating a scrypt coin because a lot of the values are the same... One of the only different things is generating a Genesis block but there is a python script that can do that. You just input the merkle root you generated before.

Oh? I never knew there was a script (not scrypt) for generating a gen block. You think you could link me up? I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Nvm brother, found it. Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes Smiley

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:01:02 AM

You could always just use testnet.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
ilovealtcoins

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:06:50 AM

Oh? I never knew there was a script (not scrypt) for generating a gen block. You think you could link me up? I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Nvm brother, found it. Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes Smiley

I should really keep this thread open... I just went on a goose chase trying to find it... Tongue ... Good luck!!! I have been thinking about make a SHA coin myself.
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 03:47:05 AM

I should really keep this thread open... I just went on a goose chase trying to find it... Tongue ... Good luck!!! I have been thinking about make a SHA coin myself.

Well heres my progress so far:

-Took "Bytecoin" erased all the merkle hashes and instances of the genesis block and epoch time. Left everything else the same including ports and name.
-Tried deleting the checkpoints out of checkpoints.cpp but got errors when I try to compile. So I replaced the checkpoints to original, and now in the process of recompiling. Will post my results in a few.

Edit: Just thought too, if this works, we could easily rename/relaunch bitcoins 1:1 copy as Bytecvoin never really got the love it should have.

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:49:09 AM

-Took "Bytecoin" erased all the merkle hashes and instances of the genesis block and epoch time. Left everything else the same including ports and name.
-Tried deleting the checkpoints out of checkpoints.cpp but got errors when I try to compile. So I replaced the checkpoints to original, and now in the process of recompiling. Will post my results in a few.

Edit: Just thought too, if this works, we could easily rename/relaunch bitcoins 1:1 copy as Bytecvoin never really got the love it should have.

Try deleting all the checkpoints except the first and change that checkpoints hash to "0x" and leave it blank.

keep up posted!!!
mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 03:50:25 AM

Try deleting all the checkpoints except the first and change that checkpoints hash to "0x" and leave it blank.

keep up posted!!!

Never thought of that. Will change and recompile Smiley

mistercoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 03:58:02 AM

Think im on to something man. I didn't know you were the creator of Nucoin. Pm me bro Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: