Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:11:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cpuminer with MacMiner 1.4.5 broken on OS X Lion  (Read 1416 times)
XFox (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:43:11 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2013, 10:45:58 AM by XFox

•Issue•
I tried to run the cpuminer binary included with MacMiner 1.4.5 on a Mac with OS X Lion 10.7.5 and an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU but it didn't work, as soon as I click "Start" I get a crash report.
If I try to check cpuminer version from the command line with
Code:
$ /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/minerd --version
I get a rude Segmentation Fault error.

•Solution•
Download the latest cpuminer OS X binary from the project's download page.
At the time of writing the latest version is v2.3.2 and the direct download link is:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpuminer/files/pooler-cpuminer-2.3.2-osx64.zip/download
Uncompress the ZIP file and move the resulting minerd file file into the /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/ folder (overwrite the existing minerd file).
Unfortunately this doesn't completely fix the issue and if you try lo launch cpuminer from MacMiner it will crash after a few seconds, use Terminal.app with the following command instead
Code:
$ /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/minerd -o http://host:port -u username -p password -t thread-count
where thread-count is the number of cores you have (double that if you have Hyper-threading).

•Disclaimer•
I would have been happy to post in the official MacMiner thread but this happens to be my first post on the forum. I searched the forum and it seems this has not been reported yet.

BTC: 1FdkrY4qT1MxARAJE3fX3HXBjWn2J54poa
LTC: LW9y3UiicfRPBZcniMrCrVhHnR2ygnWVe9
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:45:47 AM

Are you trying to mine with a cpu?

I'm guessing the issue has not been reported because hardly anyone (if anyone at all) mines with cpus anymore.  The efficiency is terrible, and a lot of pools can't accommodate cpu mining because of how slow it is.
XFox (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:07:07 AM

Are you trying to mine with a cpu?

Well, that's what cpuminer is intended to do, it mines LTC with CPUs.

I'm guessing the issue has not been reported because hardly anyone (if anyone at all) mines with cpus anymore.  The efficiency is terrible, and a lot of pools can't accommodate cpu mining because of how slow it is.

I don't doubt it but if you look at the official MacMiner thread you'll notice recent posts about cpuminer, so at least for fun and/or educational and/or experimental purposes it's still run by some users.
Indeed, a very recent MacMiner beta has been released to fix issues with cpuminer but on my system it doesn't seems to do the trick.

BTC: 1FdkrY4qT1MxARAJE3fX3HXBjWn2J54poa
LTC: LW9y3UiicfRPBZcniMrCrVhHnR2ygnWVe9
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: