Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 08:52:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing ByteCoin Back to Life!( Update! Possible Fork)  (Read 1647 times)
ahmed_bodi (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:06:23 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 02:40:52 AM by ahmed_bodi

Anyone interested in bringing bytecoin back to life?

I've set up a p2pool for it. A standard pool will be available soon hopefully,
I've got a faucet and lotto where im planning on adding bytecoin aswell.

Anyone interested in promoting the coin and taking over the dev work possibly allowing it to be merged mined?

Perhaps if we have a few people ill split and profits from the pool with other members of the team?

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 01:16:50 PM

Merged mined SHA256 coins all need the same thing as a basis that they all have in common: a copy of bitcoin with the merged mining as a secondary chain patches applied.

maybe possibly NaMeCoin might be too different from bitcoin to base on that, but all the others, even DeVCoin, can update relatively simply, the kind of cut and paste / search and replace hacks the spamcoin makers do to make each day's daily dose of new spamcoins.

So basically they have all been waiting for "mergecoin", https://github.com/knotwork/Mergecoin which is simply the latest bitcoin with the merged mining as a secondary chain patches applied.

unfortunately those patchs do not apply cleanly to recent bitcoin versions, plus when i was part-way through applying them bitcoin itself updated again in response to some threat or security hole or whatever, so now the bitcoin it is based on is itself already out of date.

The patches I manually managed to get to apply were the easy ones though. It won't be much to re-apply those to an even newer copy of bitcoin.

Where the process has stalled so far is where the change to leveldb instead of Berkeley DB took place and i don't know what past that as I was looking at the rejected chunks one at a time.

i have only worked with much older versions of Bitcoin before so someone more familiar with recent versions can probably apply those parts much easier than I could, plus I have backlogged way too many things to be able to get back to that for qutie a while.

But once it is done, any scamcoin cut and paste kidde can update all the merged-mined coins from that, incuding updating all the Bitcoin clones such as Bytecoin and Terracoin into merged mined coins by similarly cloning them from it.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:29:13 PM

nice, i think the current bytecoin daemon is quite old so ill have a shot

polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 01:37:45 PM

But why though?  Grin

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:45:04 PM

because theres interest in it haha. seriously though why not? its got a more established userbase and people will use it more than the shitcoins if fixed up with the merged mining patches

AgentME

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:50:09 PM

But why though?  Grin

pump and dump probably. Anyone who wants to donate to this scam is welcome to by buying in.
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 01:51:29 PM

But why though?  Grin

pump and dump probably. Anyone who wants to donate to this scam is welcome to by buying in.

exactly.  Cheesy

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:52:03 PM

you know i dont hold any bte, if you dont like the coin dont mine it? anyone who doesnt think its a scam can continue mining it.. the same way all you guy flock to the alt-coin of the day

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:52:15 PM

I am interested, but wonder if the original creator will let us take over?
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:53:36 PM

the original creator hasnt been around in months so i doubt he'll be interested. Ive forked the souce in github and will hopefully try out the patches

worldinacoin

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 01:58:55 PM

the original creator hasnt been around in months so i doubt he'll be interested. Ive forked the souce in github and will hopefully try out the patches

Interested to collaborate on this?
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:01:24 PM

definitly. theres a pull request on the original fork which i want to apply to my fork, then try applying the merged mining patches, fork my repo @ https://github.com/ahmedbodi/bytecoin an any changes submit a pull request

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 02:19:04 PM

markm quick question, if i use the github link you posted, that has all the patches and is working right?

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:48:36 PM

Nice 3 blocks found today

worldinacoin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:51:28 AM

I do have a suggestion, you need to think of more features and usability for eg like that of namecoin or devcoin if you are to succeed in SHA-256 dominated by Bitcoin nearly totally.
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 12:02:12 PM

yep i know, thats the main reason why i'd like to get other people on board to provide ideas and hopefully provide a usage for the coin

ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:41:29 AM

According to news on cryptsy BTE has currently undergone a fork on the chain, more news will be added here later

darksoft

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:47:19 PM

updated client?
Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:58:09 PM

Any more information on this yet? I can't find anything..
ahmed_bodi (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:17:02 PM

Not much, we've added new checkpoints to the client it seems to have been a false alarm. We will  be pushing out a mandatoru update in an hour or so

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: