Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-12-15]US prosecutors rush to millions of dollars worth of digital currency  (Read 83 times)
hugeblack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3654

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 10:54:12 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2019, 02:54:44 AM by hugeblack

US attorneys prosecuting a multi-million-dollar opioid drug ring are moving quickly to sell seized bitcoin that has exploded in value to about $US8.5 million ($11 million) since the alleged ringleader's arrest a year ago.

Key points:
Bitcoin is a digital currency known as a cryptocurrency
The seized cache was worth less than $US500,000 a year ago
The proceeds of the bitcoin sale will be held until the case is resolved
In court documents pressing for a quick sale, the US Attorney's Office for Utah referenced the digital currency's volatility.

The bitcoin cache was worth less than $US500,000 ($650,700) when Aaron Shamo was arrested on drug charges, but the value of the digital currency has skyrocketed since then.

Bitcoin was created as a digital alternative to the traditional banking system, and is prone to swings in value based on what people believe it is worth.

Bitcoin explained

Can't tell a bitcoin from a blockchain? Read our explainer to see how the cryptocurrency works.
For federal prosecutors in Utah, sales of seized assets like cars are routine, but bitcoin is new territory, spokeswoman Melodie Rydalch said.

Read more

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
secondgarlic

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:05:06 AM

Why rush to sell, though? The price is still going up. Other than that, what I immediately thought of when I read the news was, if this drug dealer hadn't been arrested, he would have been a millionaire now. If he is somehow able to track the bitcoin price in prison, I'm sure he's pretty angry about it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: