Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: price spike over 16USD/BTC  (Read 1415 times)
kicir (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 02:48:36 PM

now, what was that price spike over 16USD on MtGox??

and why does MtGox display a highest traded value of 15.689???

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 02:57:29 PM

It's just a sign that they are getting ready to crash the market. 

Ok, seriously, these spikes have been there since the reopening and they go a way after a short time.  This is the 15th thread or so on this.
kicir (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 03:22:22 PM

well, umm, I didn't see any threads on this subject on the Trading Discussion firat page, would you mind redirecting me towards any of these?

my second question on this thread is something I've been observing even in the pre-crash times: Mt Gox will peak at a price X but the displayed highest or lowest price on their official site will be lower/higher

what's the reason for this?

thanks for your feedback!
kicir (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 03:46:53 PM

my apologies to anyone who might have felt bothered by me starting a new thread on this..I do check previous posts to make sure I'm not asking the same, this time around I saw no comment on the matter and it makes sense: the google search above shows only one thread from about a week ago (besides mine, of course) with the same question and it does bring some light in that respect (thanks chodba!)

I can understand that if that same past thread was heavily replied to it may have felt as though a zillion forum users were posting the same from anew every time (??)

anyhow, going back to trading-related stuff: I'm puzzled because if the reason for such spikes are dark pool orders making a match and dark pool trades seem disabled on MtGox after the re-opening, how are those dark trades taking place? does anyone else have the capability to place trades on the dark pool? (there used to be a drop-down menu, I don't see it anymore)

thanks!
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:43:55 PM

my apologies to anyone who might have felt bothered by me starting a new thread on this..I do check previous posts to make sure I'm not asking the same, this time around I saw no comment on the matter and it makes sense: the google search above shows only one thread from about a week ago (besides mine, of course) with the same question and it does bring some light in that respect (thanks chodba!)

I can understand that if that same past thread was heavily replied to it may have felt as though a zillion forum users were posting the same from anew every time (??)

anyhow, going back to trading-related stuff: I'm puzzled because if the reason for such spikes are dark pool orders making a match and dark pool trades seem disabled on MtGox after the re-opening, how are those dark trades taking place? does anyone else have the capability to place trades on the dark pool? (there used to be a drop-down menu, I don't see it anymore)

thanks!

Spikes are a bug, probably in reporting.  No real trades are made at that price.  Or even if they did, they are tiny and not representative of the market ( ie buggy code matched an order way the fuck away from the market price).  I think you need to study up on depth of market and also get a better understanding for how trading works.  The market price is the last sale made.  It will reflect the lowest remaining ask or highest remaining bid on the order book immediately before the last portion of the trade was executed.

Go here for a nice graph:
http://mtgoxlive.com/orders?oneaxis;volumeon

vectorvictor

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:37:17 PM

Here... Let me Google that for you.

For future reference, you could have piped that through justfuckinggoogleit.com instead.

kicir (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 05:43:08 PM

hey, let's chill a bit guys

googling it only showed that there was ONE thread from about a week ago

the claims of 15 similar threads were simply not true

again, I looked on the forum before posting and didn't see anything for a reason...

what can I say? my apologies again anyways for not checking beyond the forum's first 50 threads

peace everybody!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: