Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:57:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Normal symbols in my wallet.dat?  (Read 218 times)
Henke79 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:55:31 PM

I cannot open  my wallet.dat... Is these normal symbols when i open it with wordpad?
the wallet is from 2011....

Tº¥À«ènÉ«Ó
ÓPÂ@¿h8̈c­Yh‘Ý:‡ð™ñŸ  
 poolP       N ~  š®¾L    A³   òx³p0‘œqLªæJß©ç…˜ù@\ÎÄäã\´ïÁ;™£7ÄtàšÚ ôûŠÍQ!a€UÐ/ç  
 poolO       N ~  š®¾L    AƒP‘!” î¹Ý‰jä Ï[@'R8ï4M0šf“Íõ5f0ZÇ‚U©&#<{„<ˆ7“$¥sb  
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:38:28 PM

To import your wallet.dat into Bitcoin Core, you'll need to copy it into the data directory, see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory.

And yes, that is completely normal (the format of the wallet file is binary, with ASCII field names).

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 07:07:37 AM

The wallet.dat file is not a text file, it is a binary file. If you want to see what data it contains, you will need to open it in a hex editor. To actually figure out what the data is, you will need to use Berkeley DB's database tools (specifically db_dump). Otherwise the data will not be in any recognizable form.

tomasooz

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:27:32 AM

Henke93,

Do you still need assistance recovering your wallet?
Let us know please, will be glad to help.

Thanks!
Reefdogg

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 02:03:50 PM

About the wallet.dat file , there are keywords like "pool" , "name" , mkey,  key! , ckey! , keymeta! and after the keywords is encoded data ..... I have tried to cut and past keyword sections of the file into another and it does not work.  I would try to replace a "pool" section from one file to another and that basically just breaks your wallet.  I think the keyword sections are linked in a way I don't understand.  Maybe someone here can point to a page that explains that in detail.
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 04:40:30 PM

About the wallet.dat file , there are keywords like "pool" , "name" , mkey,  key! , ckey! , keymeta! and after the keywords is encoded data ..... I have tried to cut and past keyword sections of the file into another and it does not work.  I would try to replace a "pool" section from one file to another and that basically just breaks your wallet.  I think the keyword sections are linked in a way I don't understand.  Maybe someone here can point to a page that explains that in detail.

The wallet file is actually a Berkeley database.
The keywords are the keys of the key-value pairs stored there, and some encoded data follows each key and value.

To decode them, a tool such as pywallet would be needed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: