Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:01:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What’s Better, Changelly or Shift; or should I avoid both?  (Read 117 times)
Nathan047 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:34:23 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2017, 07:54:56 PM by Nathan047

So, I know that the fees of a “normal” exchange would probably be best, however on occasion I may want to use one of them because of the speed/simplicity (and because they are both built into the Coinomi mobile wallet).

According to changelly.com they charge a 0.5% fee and shapeshift.io charges only the miner fee. However, A) are there any hidden fees that I should be aware of (like several transaction fees or an inaccurate exchange rate), and B) have you ever run into any trouble using them?

*Update: Thanks for the info everyone. I know the miner fees for BTC will be a bit high (although I'd have to pay at least of portion of that when I withdraw for a normal exchange). This was a lot of a "curiosity" as I usually use regular exchanges, but I figured that an exchange like this would be nice to have in my metaphorical back pocket. Also, I'd never risk any large amounts in an exchange like that.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 08:51:53 PM

Yeah but you know how expensive are the miner fees at the moment?

I know that maybe you are not interested in this, but miner fees for bitcoin are aprox $18, and you need to pay that plus a 0.50% for every transaction on shapeshift.

You need to put a bunch of money in order to receive some weirdy tokens.

According to changelly.com they charge a 0.5% fee and shapeshift.io charges only the miner fee. 

But if you are just trading or buying/selling other altcoins then it is fine, because the fees are usually low.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:05:28 PM

So, I know that the fees of a “normal” exchange would probably be best, however on occasion I may want to use one of them because of the speed/simplicity (and because they are both built into the Coinomi mobile wallet).

According to changelly.com they charge a 0.5% fee and shapeshift.io charges only the miner fee. However, A) are there any hidden fees that I should be aware of (like several transaction fees or an inaccurate exchange rate), and B) have you ever run into any trouble using them?

Okay, first you need to know that shapeshift charges high mining fees, higher than average. For BTC it is currently around $50 worth of mining fees if you want your payout to be in the form of bitcoins, that is a bit lower for altcoins right now.

Changelly has got some accusations against it, i wouldn't really use them. They basically take your btc and use it on an exchange, and you should be able to do the same thing without the 0.5%. You're still going to wait for the confirmations so it doesn't really help.

Shapeshift is different, it has lower limits but i think is a lot reliable. I'd steer clear of changelly and use shapeshift, but still keep in mind that shapeshift may give you wores than market rates and cahrge high mining fees.

Smiley
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:54:10 PM

I've been using shapeshift.io several times. The rates on their website are almost the same as on preev (even a bit more). Their rates are almost the same as the original rates (even if they charge any fee then it is pretty small). Right now the Bitcoin Miner Fee: 0.001 BTC. My experience with shapeshift was smooth but I've seens several accusations in the internet saying that they selectively scam people for big amounts so you better be carefull while dealing with them. Also I've seen reports about phishing sites so check the web address several times before sending your coins.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:58:22 PM

I haven't used Changelly since I heard a few horror stories and Shapeshift had everything I needed. I don't think the fees are that bad. They tend to reflect the taker fee on exchanges (which is worth it for the convenience and lack of KYC). Maybe there was a slight markup beyond that, but I had multiple order books open last time and the fees were reasonable.

People complain about the outgoing transaction fees on Shapeshift (mainly when exchanging to BTC), but it's just like withdrawing from an exchange. Granted, some exchanges (like Poloniex) and brokers have better withdrawal fees for BTC.

Fees have been very high (0.003-0.006 BTC) to withdraw from Bitmex lately, for comparison. I've used Shapeshift five or six times, no complaints. I feel better using them than Poloniex or Bittrex, where I'm constantly worried about getting my account locked.

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 03:15:17 AM

Both are good if you want a quick trade without the nuisance. If you are willing to pay for the fees then use one. Dont be under the impression that fees of Shapeshift, under normal circumstances, differs so much with Changelly or vice versa that it would influence you to use one over the other.

Having said that, use one and go.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 03:32:54 AM

As you mentioned using an normal exchange would be the best, if you have time just do that. But between shapeshift and changelly, I think both are almost identical sometimes it could feel that changelly rate is better than shapeshift or the other way around but their rate is almost same. So it wouldn't matter you can use either one of them.
Nathan047 (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 07:55:11 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I know the miner fees for BTC will be a bit high (although I'd have to pay at least of portion of that when I withdraw for a normal exchange). This was a lot of a "curiosity" as I usually use regular exchanges, but I figured that an exchange like this would be nice to have in my metaphorical back pocket. Also, I'd never risk any large amounts in an exchange like that.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Fidemoga

Activity: 302

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:24:48 PM

I used both often on coinomi, but have mixed experiences on both. Good and really bad. On shapeshift I had good experiences, until I clicked to fast for exchange without last view on the fees and lost half of my dogecoins because a fee (don't know what fee) ate half of fund. Ok, it was a little amount, around 16$. Changelly changes suddenly the exchange minimums, so that I sit on my shitcoin.
But at result, I think, both are fair and have the big advantage, that exchanges can be done in an easy way and without registration. Shapeshift has a fast support.
But you must pay transfer fees for each trade, so it is only smart to exchange cryptocurrencies with low transfer fees with changelly and shapeshift.
namjar

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:25:38 PM

Changelly has a different rate from Shapeshift, i have been using changelly for the last few weeks and they are much more faster than shapeshift in the time that they send you the exchanged alts.

I have been using this to buy PIVX, the last time that i exchanged btc -> PIVX, it tooked more than two hours to complete (it is still faster than shapeshift, with btc deposits it is taking longer)

are there any hidden fees that I should be aware of (like several transaction fees or an inaccurate exchange rate), and B) have you ever run into any trouble using them?

They are almost the same, the same interface, the same registration form, they both are the same only that with different rates.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄