Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:43:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $197 airline credit - 500 BTC  (Read 1162 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2011, 10:40:05 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 02:02:20 AM by casascius

EDIT: offer closed

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 04:13:18 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2011, 04:24:44 AM by casascius

I have one other thing that I can offer - mainly out of curiosity to see if anyone would actually care about this.

If someone is interested, then I would be willing to produce a digitally signed offer, which basically says, "I agree to provide (described goods) in exchange for 500 BTC paid to (address) by (date-time) UTC".

By digitally signed, I mean a PDF file with an embedded "Adobe CDS" digital signature recognizable by all recent versions of Adobe Acrobat (i.e. it has a valid trust chain to Adobe's root certificate, it's associated with my real life identity and could well be considered a valid contract).  It would be a contract whose existence and performance could easily and positively be ascertained by a third party.

I had to pay for that certificate - a lot in fact - though it costs me nothing to sign files now that I have it.  This also leaves me lingering with a random thought.  Of all the ideas people have circulated (like "Bit DNS")... someone could do well to invent one that might do well as a block-chained peer-to-peer network... an anonymous reputational system.  Sorta like eBay feedback - but where all the participants are not named but merely defined by who possesses their private keys and what business they have done in the past with those keys.  Where if 1ABCxyz wanted to do business, he issued his trading partner a digitally signed invitation to leave feedback.  Where later, address 1ABCxyz could be looked up in the block chain, and one might find 208 positive feedback, totalling 50kBTC over 2 years, plus perhaps comments from anyone who gave negative feedback etc. just like on eBay.  Where the system could give a score which assigned more weight to established and diverse transactors.  (Clarification: this is not a suggestion to pollute the bitcoin block chain - it's an idea that would merit its own chain).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: