Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:27:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to generate an offline, paper wallet segwit address  (Read 160 times)
b1946ac (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 02:12:05 AM

I would like to give someone bitcoins in the form of a paper wallet, since they do not currently run any wallet software or have an address I can sent to.

I want to make sure the address I give them is completely secure, I also want them to have a segwit address so they aren't too put off by the super high fees, and to push for more segwit adoption.

For this I tried booting up tails and downloading core to generate a secure address. I didn't want to and couldn't download the entire blockchain. (doesn't fit on an 8GB live USB.) So I disabled the network then used the addwitnessaddress command. This gave the error that segwit was not active on the network. I guess since it didn't have any blockchain data it didn't know that it had been activated. Unfortunately It wouldn't let me generate the address.

I then found this website that claims to be secure. I downloaded it to run offline but am super skeptical of any wallet software I do not already use. Even upgrading core makes me really nervous.

How is it best to generate an offline segwit address for a paper wallet, is there a way to force core to use segwit since I feel far safer with that and frankly don't trust anything else with the current upheaval in the bitcoin world. If I only let it download block headers would this work?
pefel

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:43:59 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2017, 04:14:07 PM by pefel

Even if the website for creating Segwit Paper Wallets seems pretty useful, while it's being verified you can do as follows:

1. Use Armory (which I think it is a well known secure wallet) in an offline or airgapped computer.
2. Create a wallet.
3. Once inside the wallet, there is an option to receive bitcoin. There you have a classic address starting with 1 which you can convert into a Segwit Adress (the address starts with 3). You can repeat this step many times, deppending on how many Segwit Adresses you want. But take into account that they are generated from the same public key and exposing one private key may expose your entire wallet, if I'm not mistaken.
4. Use the option to Back-up your wallet and export your private keys. You should be able to see all the addresses starting with 3 you just created with their respective private Key.
5. Use some QR code generator to generate images of both private key and Segwit Address, always on the airgapped computer. You can then use some text or image editor to create your paper wallet inlcuding the QR codes and the keys.

I suppose you can do all of that with an small python script, instead of with Armony, but I haven't tried.

Electrum lets you do something similar but only with bech32 address, starting with bc1, which require the other wallets to be Segwit compatible.

I don't see any problems using this procedure except that the wallet and all files created on the offline computershould be removed, and a non-connnected printer should also be used, but let me know if there are some flaws.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: