Bitcoin Forum
July 30, 2024, 08:14:01 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin used to run, now crashes on launch even after re-install  (Read 1128 times)
gjbloom (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:25:35 PM

My bitcoin client no longer launches.  Instead, it throws an exception dialog that reads:

EXCEPTION: NSt8ios_base7failureE
ReadCompactSize() : size too large
D:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe in AppInit()

This is unacceptable.  Can anyone tell me what I can do to access my bitcoins now?  Does anyone of any authority even read the newbie forum?
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 05:28:50 PM

when you deinstalled the client, did you also make sure all registry files were deleted properly? by rescanning with regedit of regcleaner?

Perhaps its just a registry error.

Not too sure tho, but its the first thing that came to mind.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Did you try deleting Bitcoin's application data folder?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Dolphin

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:14:01 PM

Hope you backuped you wallet.dat file before trying to fix the problem. I read a thread about someone who accidently killed his wallet.dat and lost all his BTCs this way not too long ago.
My first guess for the cause of the problem would be that a bitcoin client data file got damaged and causes this error.

A fast search revealed the following thread, maybe it can help you out: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21739.0

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:30:02 PM

I would second the suggestion that you check your registry files and clean out your app data. And, yes start by backing up your wallet.DAT file.
It is also very helpful if you tell us your OS; i.e. Windows Vista.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: