Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 10:47:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ethOS crashes as soon as I plug in a single gpu  (Read 108 times)
twistedbelly (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:21:31 AM

Just built a new rig (not first), but I’m having trouble with ethos. Normally ethos has been pretty straightforward but this time I’m having trouble getting it running.
Ethos runs fine without any gpu plugged in, then I will shut it down, plug in a single gpu, and reboot, it will start the miner but then it will instantly ramp up the fan really high and the monitor screen will shut down.
The monitor is plugged into the gpu and will not work with the dvi slot on the mb

biostar tb 250 btc pro
Nvidia 1070 founders edition
Psu: evga 1000w g3

Thanks for the help
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:11:07 AM

I assume you have updated your BIOS to the latest version and made necessary changes such as changing the lane speed of X1 and X16 slots to GEN1?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:19:19 AM

Just built a new rig (not first), but I’m having trouble with ethos. Normally ethos has been pretty straightforward but this time I’m having trouble getting it running.
Ethos runs fine without any gpu plugged in, then I will shut it down, plug in a single gpu, and reboot, it will start the miner but then it will instantly ramp up the fan really high and the monitor screen will shut down.
The monitor is plugged into the gpu and will not work with the dvi slot on the mb

biostar tb 250 btc pro

Thanks for the help

Try another OS to see if the problem is with your hardware or software.  You can download SMOS, nvoc, sniffdog, and plenty more.  If the card works fine in those, then you know the problem is with ethOS.  If the new OS is also failing, you probably have a problem with your hardware, or a BIOS setting that is awry.  Let us know how you get along and then we can help you further.
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 5763

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:26:26 AM

biostar tb 250 btc pro

Thanks for the help
I have seen a lot of this issue and it must be your PowerSupply (PSU itself or your connectors)
Although EVGA 1000w g3 is a good powersupply, you can't tell if the one you have is defective.

A bad PSU can work with a system that consumes a little juice from it (Your System without GPU) but become unstable at stress (like Starting the Miner)

You can monitor the Voltages at stress using HWinfo or other monitoring software. Start with a resource-heavy game/app (windowed) to monitor the voltages, next if it is ok (+-5%), start your miner. A camera pointed at the monitor will do.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:48:42 AM

I assume you have updated your BIOS to the latest version and made necessary changes such as changing the lane speed of X1 and X16 slots to GEN1?

I did have them switched to gen 1, above 4g is enabled and the current bios that is B25DF710.bss
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:58:16 AM

biostar tb 250 btc pro

Thanks for the help
I have seen a lot of this issue and it must be your PowerSupply (PSU itself or your connectors)
Although EVGA 1000w g3 is a good powersupply, you can't tell if the one you have is defective.

A bad PSU can work with a system that consumes a little juice from it (Your System without GPU) but become unstable at stress (like Starting the Miner)

You can monitor the Voltages at stress using HWinfo or other monitoring software. Start with a resource-heavy game/app (windowed) to monitor the voltages, next if it is ok (+-5%), start your miner. A camera pointed at the monitor will do.

I will give that a shot about monitoring the voltage. However, I had the same problem with a Corsair RMI 1000.

Since I originally posted this, I also tried two other boards (for other builds), biostar tb85 and an Asus z170, both also had the same problem
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 12:10:31 PM

Try another OS to see if the problem is with your hardware or software.  You can download SMOS, nvoc, sniffdog, and plenty more.  If the card works fine in those, then you know the problem is with ethOS.  If the new OS is also failing, you probably have a problem with your hardware, or a BIOS setting that is awry.  Let us know how you get along and then we can help you further.

I will give one of those a shot.  Since I posted this I tried 2 other boards, a biostar tb 85 and Asus z170, and both were leading to the same problem.
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 01:44:55 PM

I also tried command
Lga1151-flasher

Detected motherboard: tb250-btc pro
Current motherboard firmware: 5.12

Update aborted: no motherboard bios found - log has been posted to support staff.

Any idea of what to do with this?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:00:39 PM

I will give one of those a shot.  Since I posted this I tried 2 other boards, a biostar tb 85 and Asus z170, and both were leading to the same problem.

Do you have another GPU you can try?  If the same GPU is not working on 3 different motherboards, then that may be your issue.  Are you plugging the GPU directly into the x16 PCIe slot, or using a riser?
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:53:05 PM

Do you have another GPU you can try?  If the same GPU is not working on 3 different motherboards, then that may be your issue.  Are you plugging the GPU directly into the x16 PCIe slot, or using a riser?

I am using risers, and I have tried it with several different gpus
They are all the same nvidia GeForce gtx 1070 founders edition though
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:05:20 PM

I just reset everything to default on both ethos and mb (also cleared mb pins) and still the same problem.
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:25:21 PM

Is it normal for a gpu to work directly in a 16x slot but not with a riser?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: