Bitcoin Forum
September 06, 2024, 04:15:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's exact definition  (Read 1138 times)
eladkr85 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:41:05 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to build bitcoin's exact definition, which will include legal status, regulation, and the whole mining thing.

Right now, the official definition is:a peer to peer decentralized crypto-currency.
This definition says nothing about regulation, and creation.
My (prototype) definition is:a peer to peer decentralized crypto-currency which isn't regulated by a country, and anyone can create it.
I'll happy to suggestions,for the new definition, which is supposed to say anything you need to completely understand the whole thing.

~|~|~|~|~|~|
EladK
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:50:51 PM

How about that:

Bitcoin: a P2P decentralized, non-governmental user minted crypto-currency.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:52:24 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to build bitcoin's exact definition, which will include legal status, regulation, and the whole mining thing.

Right now, the official definition is:a peer to peer decentralized crypto-currency.
My (prototype) definition is:a peer to peer decentralized crypto-currency which isn't regulated by a country, and anyone can create it.
I'll happy to suggestions,for the new definition, which is supposed to say anything you need to completely understand the whole thing.

~|~|~|~|~|~|
EladK

Usually, the less you say in a definition, the better.

I try to be respectful and informed.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:30:28 PM

you should never define something like that in a way, where you negate something. in the same way as when you say "which isn't regulated by a country", you also have to include a pletora of other things, e.g. "which is not edible", "which isn't flying", "which isn't tangible", "which isn't …".

only equivalence relations with proper "filters" or "transformations" are valid. e.g. "ice is water, but frozen"
eladkr85 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:03:39 AM

Hi,

~|~|~|~|~|~|
EladK

Usually, the less you say in a definition, the better.

Some pepole won't understand the WHOLE bitcoin thing with this definition.
El Extranjero

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:19:50 AM

How about that:

I like this definition but I wouln't include "non-governmental" since the term "decentralized" pretty much already explains that imo.

Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 09:08:44 AM

How about that:

I like this definition but I wouln't include "non-governmental" since the term "decentralized" pretty much already explains that imo.

Try this one (I think it's more accessible for the uninitiated):

a decentralized internet crypto-currency minted, authenticated and exchanged by its users.

El Extranjero

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

How about that:

Try this one (I think it's more accessible for the uninitiated):

a decentralized internet crypto-currency minted, authenticated and exchanged by its users.

That definition is beautiful! The only issue now is that the currency's price is still tied to USD, and so, imo that demonstrates it as dependant and not completely sovereign.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:49:16 PM

Bitcoin (n.):

1. A decentralized internet crypto-commodity minted, authenticated and exchanged by its users.

2. The distributed, freely accessible internet ledger with the bitcoin(1) (or the satoshi) as the unit of account.

3. The community of Bitcoin(2) miners, node operators, developers, users, merchants, and exchanges. The Bitcoin(2) ecosystem.
Vycid

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:19:10 PM

Bitcoin (n.):

1. A decentralized internet crypto-commodity minted, authenticated and exchanged by its users.

2. The distributed, freely accessible internet ledger with the bitcoin(1) (or the satoshi) as the unit of account.

3. The community of Bitcoin(2) miners, node operators, developers, users, merchants, and exchanges. The Bitcoin(2) ecosystem.

This is a good point - "Bitcoin" means more than one thing. Actually, I believe def. 1 is small-b "bitcoin".

eladkr85 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:24:17 PM

Bitcoin (n.):

This is a good point - "Bitcoin" means more than one thing. Actually, I believe def. 1 is small-b "bitcoin".
Bitcoin is the protocol,
bitcoin is the unit used by the protocol.
Vycid

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:27:52 PM

Bitcoin (n.):

Bitcoin is the protocol,

That'd be definition 1 then, since we're talking about the commodity.

Would we need 2 separate definitions here, one for "Bitcoin" and one for "bitcoin"? Usually the separate meanings are all listed under the same word.

eladkr85 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:30:26 PM

Bitcoin (n.):

Bitcoin is the protocol,

That'd be definition 1 then, since we're talking about the commodity.

Would we need 2 separate definitions here, one for "Bitcoin" and one for "bitcoin"? Usually the separate meanings are all listed under the same word.
This post was posted at general talks, so generally, in this board, the definition is Bitcoin, because we're not talking about exchanges, or the bitcoin's value.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 10:35:15 PM

Trying to define bitcoin in a single sentence is not going to work, unless you terms related to bitcoin.

Like: "Bitcoin: the first P2P, mined, blockchain based crypto-currency" - that tells you everything you need to know, but you have not know what mining and a blockchain are, in which case you almost certainly already know what bitcoin is to begin with.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: