Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:58:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Utter newbie .. Mycelium won't let me access all my funds. Help?  (Read 158 times)
Myrr (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:14:10 AM

I have had a tiny percentage of Bitcoin as an experiment for the past 6/7 months. Initial investment was 24 dollars. It has grown to just over 200 bucks, which is awesome, but it will only let me access 80 of it. The Miner fee I understand (it's 17.00) but why can't I access all the money?

I've googled this to try to sort it out myself and have seen others with this issue but I can never decipher the solution. I'm just too inexperienced.

I have only dealt with my Bitcoin through my iPhone so far. I've never spent or withdrawn any of it but I haven't wanted to add more because I noticed this problem months ago so I've been afraid to invest more money. But now it's Christmas and I thought it would be great if I could withdraw some of it haha.

What can I do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:18:45 AM

So, when you try to send bitcoins from your Mycelium, you can't access your entire balance. The most probable thing is that the chosen tx fee is expensive either you are aware of it or not. When you send bitcoins, the spendable amount is the total amount of bitcoins minus the tx fee you're paying. Though you said you understand the miner fee and is 17 as you said so there's another possibility.

The second one is that the other balance is on different hd account(s). You might have had looked the total balance of your Mycelium but the balance of that particular account you're sending from is just a portion.
Myrr (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 11:01:28 PM

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the miner fee is listed as 17 dollars, which leaves over a hundred dollars inaccessible and unaccounted for. If those funds are in another hd (does that stand for hard drive?) how would I know? I've only had one account and I've never taken any money out or touched the account in any way, other than to watch it grow.

I read that there was some problem with a blockchain thing that caused funds on certain accounts to be frozen and the fix was to switch wallets but it involved transferring keys or something and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, which is what led me here to ask for help.
dillpicklechips

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:39:49 AM

If those funds are in another hd (does that stand for hard drive?) how would I know?
No. What I mean by HD is Hierarchical Deterministic. Read more here.

I read that there was some problem with a blockchain thing that caused funds on certain accounts to be frozen and the fix was to switch wallets but it involved transferring keys or something and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, which is what led me here to ask for help.
Now that you mentioned it, try to import your seeds to other wallets. Back up your wallet first and they will give you 12 words to list down which you can use to import your wallet.

A follow up question, there's no pending transactions? I mean unconfirmed transactions?
Myrr (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:21:48 AM

What I mean by HD is Hierarchical Deterministic. Read more here.

Thank you!

Now that you mentioned it, try to import your seeds to other wallets. Back up your wallet first and they will give you 12 words to list down which you can use to import your wallet.

I do have a twelve word back up of the wallet. I use mycelium. Not sure how to import my seeds but I will Google it. That's where I get confused because I don't understand how it works enough ..

A follow up question, there's no pending transactions? I mean unconfirmed transactions?

There have only been two transactions ever to the account and it was when the initial money was deposited. Since it's been an experiment, until now I was just watching it but with Christmas looming, I was hoping to take some of it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/myrrmaiden/D545BC21-BD5C-439A-A825-DBA12B45DF53.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/myrrmaiden/565072E7-57AE-4E81-B241-41BAF26550A7.png

These images are snapshots of my wallet .. total funds and then available funds with the miner fee listed. As you can see, over 100 dollars is not available.
dillpicklechips

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:53:52 PM

Have you tried clicking "use all the funds" or just input the desired number? What version of Mycelium are you using? Better upgradeit to the newest. Been sending and receiving hundreds of transactions in Mycelium and never experienced any issues.

Its easy to import. Just find a wallet like Coinomi for example and there's an option there where you can import your 12-word seed.
Myrr (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:28:22 AM

The amount available is what shows up after I click the 'use all funds' link.

I will try exporting to another wallet. I'm nervous that the funds I can't access will disappear but I guess I have no other choice at this point ..

Thank you for trying to help.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 10:24:36 AM

Exporting seems to be the easiest solution to this strange behaviour.
You can export your xprv-key by clicking on your account -> "export" from menu and then write the xpriv key down by hand (xpriv, not xpub).
Afterwards you could download electrum[1] for example, which allows to import xpriv keys.
But be careful with your xpriv-key. Everyone who has access to it has access to your bitcoins. Don't import it into an infected/public pc.

[1] https://electrum.org/#home

Myrr (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:25:56 AM

I'll try this. Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: