Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:17:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth getting paid in Bitcoin for freelance work?  (Read 398 times)
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 05:00:34 PM

Well, if you are asking in terms of taxation then is most of the countries, you will be taxed only when you will cash out your funds and hence if you don't want to cash out a certain portion of your earnings then it will remain untaxable as far as you are not cashing out those funds. On the other hand, if you are earning a living from your freelancing work then you will have to pay taxes since you will be cashing our the funds in that case so considering your situation, you can decide that if it is appropriate to charge fees in BTC or not.
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:08:36 PM

Well, if you are asking in terms of taxation then is most of the countries, you will be taxed only when you will cash out your funds and hence if you don't want to cash out a certain portion of your earnings then it will remain untaxable as far as you are not cashing out those funds. On the other hand, if you are earning a living from your freelancing work then you will have to pay taxes since you will be cashing our the funds in that case so considering your situation, you can decide that if it is appropriate to charge fees in BTC or not.

Well in my country, even freelancing is not taxable and traceable as most people work online and get income in dollars or skill and other online payment methods. Bitcoin has made payment through freelancing more easy and now people can easy get their reward of online work though bitcoins.
Skieleton

Activity: 686
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:20:51 PM

I am a graphic artist and as for me it is a payment like any other. However, it is more convenient because we avoid taxes, and as we know it is quite uncomfortable.
Sangkuni

Activity: 392
Merit: 114

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:30:02 PM

I’m a web developer/designer and wondered if it’s worth getting paid in bitcoin? I’m from the UK and not sure how it would work in terms of the end of year tax return.

yes, i think its worth Smiley ...For example, if you get paid $ 500 in bitcoin, then $ 500 could be 1000 $ in the future, due to the rising bitcoin price on fiat money Cheesy
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:46:59 PM

I am a graphic artist and as for me it is a payment like any other. However, it is more convenient because we avoid taxes, and as we know it is quite uncomfortable.

Not for long Wink and don't start telling people that you're taking bitcoins to avoid taxes.. You never know who's listening.

yes, i think its worth Smiley ...For example, if you get paid $ 500 in bitcoin, then $ 500 could be 1000 $ in the future, due to the rising bitcoin price on fiat money Cheesy

Or it could be $250. You never know so don't be overly positive or it may bite you in the ass.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
777asianinvasian

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

🌟 MIRA ICO 🌟

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:48:11 PM

I’m a web developer/designer and wondered if it’s worth getting paid in bitcoin? I’m from the UK and not sure how it would work in terms of the end of year tax return.

Depends if you want to gamble on your livelihood. If you have funds back then I would say yeah take the investment and see what becomes of it. Worst thing happens is you lose a few months work best thing is you gain a few years worth of living. But do know even if you do this you will have to pay tax because you did provide a service that aspect is not negotiable.

dontbefazed

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:53:56 PM

It's good, but I'd do 50/50. Why not? Take the risk and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you're able to trade the Bitcoin into other altcoins. And figure out what the best thing to do is
Baitcoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:54:27 PM

Definitely worth it but kinda risky! I'm a freelancer too but I haven't found any work that pays bitcoin. If ever you get paid in bitcoin and you hodl, as long as the price will continue to rise then that would be great for you.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:55:36 PM

Well in my country, even freelancing is not taxable and traceable as most people work online and get income in dollars or skill and other online payment methods. Bitcoin has made payment through freelancing more easy and now people can easy get their reward of online work though bitcoins.

That's some great country, believe me. I have heard of countries with 0% income tax, like Qatar, but it's among a few extreme cases. 90% of countries have income tax and it doesn't matter if you're employed by a company or running your own business.
I'd say it's worth getting paid in BTC because the chances of losing money on this deal are small, while you can really win a lot by holding. Don't act on my opinions though, I'm a gambler, I have some savings and I like my chances here. It may not be a good idea if the life of your family depends on your income.

Definitely worth it but kinda risky! I'm a freelancer too but I haven't found any work that pays bitcoin. If ever you get paid in bitcoin and you hodl, as long as the price will continue to rise then that would be great for you.

Go to the service section of bitcointalk. Plenty of work for BTC to be found there including graphics, coding, translation, social media management, advertising...

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Swopon
Copper Member

Activity: 700
Merit: 120

Gamdom

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 06:02:05 PM

Yes it is.Actually it's great because bitcoin price is growing day by day and if you got your payment today with btc then suppose you hold them and you can sell them when btc price will grow a very high level.See you got your payment and get a huge amount of profit by holding them

fattyforhire

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:04:26 PM
Merited by Sumo (4)

I think this kind of work and payment will apply to the section of freelancing. Because in this way you will work for yourself and make money more than usual, without taxes and government regulations.
nufeils

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:08:24 PM

It is certainly worth it. Bitcoin allows you to work for anyone, anywhere in the world - and get paid accordingly without having to worry about frauds or scams once the transaction is sent. Its great for freelancers.
GreatOrchid
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:16:16 PM

It depends, if you are on the UK, you will have to pay taxes for all your earnings, only because you are on the UK.

But it only applies if you are looking to make a living from this "freelancer work"

I suggest you to do it, only if you are aware of how your taxes for cryptos works in your country, i do not know how they work at 100% because i am not from there, but in my country it works almost by the same way.

You need to pay 10% over all your earnings
gigatux

Activity: 343
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:29:17 PM

it depends because if you are in other countries they will charge you with taxes (mostly Europe countries).Even in our country, they might implement or consider taxing us if the Bitcoin community continues to spread its influence or trend to my fellow citizen. but currently I'm not facing any problems with bitcoin and I think that it is a very honorable job where we got to see different kinds of people and culture. it is not always about the money but also your experience and interaction with different kinds of people and  how can diversity compliments each and everyone's uniqueness.
LodisMcguire

Activity: 546
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:32:44 PM

If you're a freelancer then it's worth it,just dont sign a long term contract,in case of BTC price crashing
Just do a short term work and save your bitcoin or trade it in the market,you can make profit by just doing that
Sweeet123

Activity: 248

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:37:07 PM

Well it is worth getting paid in BTCs for freelancing,just try to understand the tax rules for cryptocurrency in your country and whether it is gonna favor you or not, if it doesn't, would suggest you to opt for some alternate method to accept the payment that would be conducive to you
DogeMe

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 06:51:24 PM

well , it's way better to be paid in cryptos instead of fiat ,  cause the $ will not triple it's value overnight but cryptos can. Also be very clever what kind of cryptos you will accept tho.
Maheshkumar_Hrangkhawl

Activity: 600
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 07:04:59 PM

I don't care the medium of payments, as long as the salary is decent enough. If I earn somewhere around $10 per hour, it is going to be OK. I don't really care whether my employer pays me using PayPal or Bitcoin.
jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 07:10:56 PM

I think it is worth it, depending on how much and the nature of your other income. The downside is that Bitcoin and other cryptos are very volatile compared to fiat, so if you need them during a bear market (which may last only a few days) you may have to sell at a loss. I would take them provided I have other income.
annoying_tiger1

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 07:19:07 PM

I prefer BTC than paypal, did some 'profitable' translation jobs when btc was around 5k, txn fees were very cheap, however with the actual price converted to an average wage i dont think is worthy
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: