Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:47:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the two unregulated "Money Transmitter" states? (USA)  (Read 7940 times)
El Cabron (OP)
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:08:37 AM

"Forty-eight US states regulate money transmitters although the laws vary from one state to the other.[3] Most of the states[4] require a surety bond with widely ranging amounts from as little as $25,000 to over $1 million and maintaining a minimum capital requirement."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_transmitter

What are the two free states?

Thanks

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:59:52 AM

South Carolina and Wyoming

amirite?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:06:57 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 03:23:02 AM by Kluge

"Forty-eight US states regulate money transmitters although the laws vary from one state to the other.[3] Most of the states[4] require a surety bond with widely ranging amounts from as little as $25,000 to over $1 million and maintaining a minimum capital requirement."

Thanks
Did you do that just to direct us to an MSB lawyer with virtual currency know-how? http://moneytransmitterlicense.blogspot.com/  Cheesy

Lot of the links are broken. All 50 states listed, so dunno which two don't have MSB laws... Kansas and NY don't seem to have a pinpoint on the state-by-state map...

https://www.paypal-media.com/licenses
Paypal has licenses for everywhere but South Carolina and NY.

So, looking like definitely NY (which seems really, really unlikely - but I guess possible), and either South Carolina or Kansas.

ETA: http://www.shajlaw.com/newyorkmoneyservicebusinesslicense.html Paypal must have some way to get around MSB in NY, but I'm pretty sure I counted 48 states and 2 non-states in PP's list, which'd indicate there's only one state without MSB license requirements.

From map on first page linked:
South Carolina: Currently no regulation
WY and NY definitely have regulation, though.
ETA2: It looks like KS does have MSB requirements, but are apparently very difficult to find Cheesy
ETA3: SC definitely has something on the books... I'm getting tired of combing through bureaucratic crap at this point, though. Smiley
bradford

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:07:57 PM

Thanks

According to this PDF document prepared by Thomas Brown at UC Berkeley the two free states are South Carolina and Montana.

MSantori

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:25:36 PM

According to this PDF document prepared by Thomas Brown at UC Berkeley the two free states are South Carolina and Montana.

Somebody found my cheat sheet!

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
OgonDark

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 11:02:12 PM

I don't suppose you would be so kind as to share your opinion on what significance (if any) there is in SC and Montana not having these regulations, as it relates specifically to the Bitcoin legal landscape?

Is this more along the lines of an interesting piece of trivia or something that people who are starting up Bitcoin based businesses should possibly consider when choosing where to operate, incorporate, etc...?

I guess, I don't see any evidence of a whole bunch of current fiat-based institutions locating themselves in these states or anything (please correct me if I'm wrong), which tells me that the "free" states are sort of free in name only? 
coin2013

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 04:13:37 AM

I don't suppose you would be so kind as to share your opinion on what significance (if any) there is in SC and Montana not having these regulations, as it relates specifically to the Bitcoin legal landscape?

Is this more along the lines of an interesting piece of trivia or something that people who are starting up Bitcoin based businesses should possibly consider when choosing where to operate, incorporate, etc...?

I guess, I don't see any evidence of a whole bunch of current fiat-based institutions locating themselves in these states or anything (please correct me if I'm wrong), which tells me that the "free" states are sort of free in name only? 

My guess is:

If you are operating as a money transmitter in a state that doesn't require a license; then you would only need to register with FinCEN. But that would be if you are only doing business in that state. With the current guidance of FinCEN (until/if it is further clarified), the advantage I could see; is a miner would then be able to sell units that he/she mined on an exchange such as BTC-E. Again this is only a guess, as I'm not a lawyer.
MSantori

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 04:47:54 AM

The primary significance of those states is for local bitcoin sales or exchanges.  So, miners located in those states that sell their mined coin, for example, might be able to avoid state licensing requirements so long as they are selling those coins to people within the state.

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
coin2013

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 05:24:18 AM

The primary significance of those states is for local bitcoin sales or exchanges.  So, miners located in those states that sell their mined coin, for example, might be able to avoid state licensing requirements so long as they are selling those coins to people within the state.

Wouldn't they also be able to use an exchange located outside of the country?
MSantori

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:33:42 PM

Wouldn't they also be able to use an exchange located outside of the country?

In some cases a foreign exchange could solicit and service customers in those two states without licensing in those states.

marjamrob

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:50:02 PM

So this means if Mt. Gox was in one of those states, they wouldn't of had money seized?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:33:45 PM

My guess is:

If you are operating as a money transmitter in a state that doesn't require a license; then you would only need to register with FinCEN. But that would be if you are only doing business in that state. With the current guidance of FinCEN (until/if it is further clarified), the advantage I could see; is a miner would then be able to sell units that he/she mined on an exchange such as BTC-E. Again this is only a guess, as I'm not a lawyer.
Would South Carolina and Montana then be good places to install Bitcoin ATMs?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MSantori

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:59:12 PM

From a legal perspective, yes.  From a business perspective, probably not.  Most of my clients are targeting NY, CA, TX, FL and IL, in roughly that order.  South Carolina and Montana are not very dense with bitcoiners.

OgonDark

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 05:05:47 PM

From a legal perspective, yes.  From a business perspective, probably not.  Most of my clients are targeting NY, CA, TX, FL and IL, in roughly that order.  South Carolina and Montana are not very dense with bitcoiners.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, as always it helps shed a little light into the grey area we're all in now.

MSantori

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:56:55 PM

Thanks for sharing your opinions, as always it helps shed a little light into the grey area we're all in now.

Happy to help!

BitGo

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

https://bitgo.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 08:35:12 PM

Actually in addition to Montana and South Carolina, there's sort of a third state: in New Mexico there is no money transmission regulation unless involving a negotiable instrument.

Securing the World's Bitcoin https://bitgo.com
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:27:17 AM

Resurrecting this old thread to find out which States have residents who have successfully deposited/withdrawn fiat on Kraken.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 09:14:54 AM

By the way, included in my Magic Bag of Tricks is the ability to provide Montana corporations.

Not spamming; just saying......................................

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:45:28 AM

Thanks

I would not consider them "free" states as they still have federal regulations, just not additional, state level regulations.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:54:37 PM

Thanks

I would not consider them "free" states as they still have federal regulations, just not additional, state level regulations.

Fed rules don't apply until the commerce crosses state lines.  If all activity is done within the state the Fed can't say anything.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: