Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:12:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complicated issue; 12 words seed generated non-matching address and private key  (Read 158 times)
homescape (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

Hi there everyone,

I'll try to keep this short as there's a lot of stuff thats not as relevant which i've already tried.

I installed Jaxx wallet. I was given an address by the app. I send aprox 0.1 bitcoin to the address, the transaction got received in the app and confirmed.
When i attempted to spend anything from this address it would give me an transaction failed.

I looked up the private key linked to the address and entered this into a different wallet. This wallet linked the private address to a different (public) address, one that was empty.

I used my 12 words in a generator to generate addresses and private keys. The private key showed up as first generated private key; the address linked to it was the one that was empty.

At this point i have 0.1 bitcoins on an address of which i dont have the private key.

-----

I re-installed Jaxx, cleaned the cache. It now doesn't even mention the address with 0.1 bitcoins at all. When putting back the old cache it again mentions the 0.1 bitcoins, but i cant use them.

I then hit this website https://vxlabs.com/2017/06/10/extracting-the-jaxx-12-word-wallet-backup-phrase/

The website has instructions on how to extract 12 words from an jaxx cache.

My logic behind this is that the address that was given to me has to be generated based on something, maybe a different 12 words. By extracting it from my cache i could check if it matches my current 12 words. If it doesn't match it's bingo and i can generate the private key with the 12 words that don't match the ones i currently have.

However this is where it stops for me, when using the sqlitebrowser app and importing my database, it returns no value in said line. I want to try the other method but i lack knolledge to do so. Is there anyone who could help me out here with a guide for dummies?

Thanks a bunch,

Tim

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 04:48:46 PM

Did you download the wallet from their official website.
Have you run antivirus scans on your device often? It's possible you may have fallen for a phishing or Trojan/virus attempt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaxx+private+key+address+mismatch&oq=jaxx+private+key+address+mismatch&aqs=chrome..69i57.15538j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
This may be helpful reference to check. Jaxx have a contact link on the reddit site so you may be able to contact them from there however they don't seem to be too fast at replying.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 06:59:31 AM

You are probably just using the wrong BIP 32 derivation path. What derivation path were you using? Jaxx probably follows the BIP 44 standard so it uses m/44'/0'/0'/0/i, You might be looking at m/i or m/0/i.

aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:11:15 AM

There are 2 ways to generate an address from a private key. Compressed and uncompressed.

You can check both addresses that a private key generates from www.bitaddress.org
in the wallet details tab you can enter your private key and it will show both your addresses related to that key.

And do not enter your private key to the webpage!! download the bitaddress page to your machine first and then examine your keys when you are offline.

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 12:01:42 PM

There are 2 ways to generate an address from a private key. Compressed and uncompressed.

There is only 1 way to generate an address out of a public key: address = ripemd160(sha256(public_key)))
The public key (composed of: prefix, x-coordinate, y-coordinate) can be either compressed or uncompressed.
Which doesn't matter in this case because the second multiplier (y) can be derived from the first multiplier and the prefix.

The problem is most likely the wrong derivation path used while trying to recover the correct keys.
m/44'/0'/0' should be the right path for JAXX wallets to restore. Depending on the client you use to generate your keys m/44H/0H/0H may be another accepted format.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 12:19:38 PM

There is only 1 way to generate an address out of a public key: address = ripemd160(sha256(public_key)))
The public key (composed of: prefix, x-coordinate, y-coordinate) can be either compressed or uncompressed.
Which doesn't matter in this case because the second multiplier (y) can be derived from the first multiplier and the prefix.

The problem is most likely the wrong derivation path used while trying to recover the correct keys.
m/44'/0'/0' should be the right path for JAXX wallets to restore. Depending on the client you use to generate your keys m/44H/0H/0H may be another accepted format.

You are correct in what you said, but that was not what aplistir said. There are two ways to generate an address from a private key, meaning two addresses.  Perhaps op’s software is checking the ‘other’ one.  Likewise it could be the wrong derivation path as you state.  Best to try all possibilities.

See, e.g.: https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/wiki/Converting-between-Compressed-and-Uncompressed-Addresses-and-Private-Keys

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 12:21:48 PM

OP, what are the first characters of the addresses?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: