Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:45:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DZCoin: Bringing the Algerian Dinar online  (Read 112 times)
smassy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 05:37:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a coin that aims to bring the Algerian Dinar online. DZcoin is not really an alternative to bitcoin in the sense that it is not global and the supply generation is not fixed by the algorithm. Instead, DZCoin is meant to be transparently controlled by the Algerian central bank by fixing the exchange rate and controlling the supply, just like the DZD.

The main motivation is that only a tiny number of Algerians are banked and a even smaller number benefit from a decent banking service (my intuition is that 90 percent of the economy is cash based).

Moreover, many governments are expressing desire to make their own national cryptocurrencies, which they should not be allowed to do because most probably these currencies won't be transparent. This kind of national currencies must be created by the public and deployed in a bitcoin-like public open transparent manner where everyone can monitor it. For example, the public can detect dishonest currency manipulations and malicious financial transactions made by the government (and anyone else) and decide how to react to them.

I think we have to be the ones who implement such coins before governments do. At least we can gain momentum and adaption before they get in with their closed non-transparent coins.

Thoughts?

Salim Massinissa
hadiaz

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 05:42:09 PM

Two questions:

- Why would anybody use your coin instead of bitcoin for local transactions?

- Bootstrapping your coin will most likely be extremely challenging since cryptocurrencies will be illegal in Algeria by jan 2018 hence opening a DZD/DZCoin, DZD/BTC or other CC/DZCoin exchange will not be possible. Any plan for that?

smassy (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 04:51:36 PM

To briefly answer your 1st question: why not?

To the best of my knowledge, buying bitcoin or any other cryptocoin is very inconvenient in Algeria since most people don't have debit/credit cards. Cash solutions are laborious and provide poor liquidity. If we can solve the access-to-market problem than people will use our coin instead of any other hard-to-get coin.

As for bootstrapping the coin, I'm still thinking of an efficient way while coding the coin. Will launch a community website pretty soon where everyone is welcome to contribute an idea.

Salim Massinissa
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: