Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:16:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes must be crazy now  (Read 181 times)
claire (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Capitalism rocks my world.

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:03:02 PM

Say I have a bitcoin that was worth $20.00 4 or 5 years ago. Say I cash it in (no idea how) and I get $20K so technically I've made a bigger than huge profit. How much of that would I have to pay in California and Federal taxes?

I Love Bitcoin Smiley 1A5jmQcmZamhTeHaEZvtMEpoqrH2SECcxk
Phone Domination 888-221-0319
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:04:44 PM

Wink
brusnika

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:14:23 PM

Say I have a bitcoin that was worth $20.00 4 or 5 years ago. Say I cash it in (no idea how) and I get $20K so technically I've made a bigger than huge profit. How much of that would I have to pay in California and Federal taxes?

You are the first person i see here , who wants to pay taxes. are you serious with this question?

__                 ☆☆☆ TrustedCar Flex │ Changing Car Ownership Forever ☆☆☆                  __   
‗/l__l\__                                 Token Sale  Sep up to 25% Bonus                               __/l__l\‗
╘Θ═╧═Θ.╛   WhitepaperLightpaperANN ThreadFacebookTwitterTelegram   ╘.Θ═╧═Θ╛
integrap

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:17:54 PM

You are the first person i see here , who wants to pay taxes. are you serious with this question?

As I know in some countries government ask for taxes such as in Germany And also in my country they will start to take taxes from your profit which is called income tax. Some countries do not accept crypto coins as a money. So there is no proper regulation yet.

hndrk10

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

Sharpay - Share Button with Blockchain Profit

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 09:18:04 PM

Why wouldn't he be? I mean, at some point governments will ask for taxes when it comes about Crypto. All the money are gonna be in here. Nations survive on taxes.

Share Button With Blockchain Profit    ●   SHARPAY.io   ●   Globally Top 1 Active ICO on ICObench
██████████████             TOKEN SALE BONUS 40%   BUY NOW  ◄             ██████████████
ANN THREAD      TELEGRAM      FACEBOOK      TWITTER      MEDIUM      REDDIT      WHITEPAPER
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:18:52 PM

It all depends, but there's something like a 50% taxable rate for realized capital gains in Canada, if you made $1 or $10,000 (provided that it is in a taxable range) then you'd still be paying the 50%, either $0.50 or $5,000. It's not like the taxes grow more, the total sum just gets taxed more than what they would have been provided that you had earned less. I don't know what the tax rates are for the United States but I would assume that they're a bit less than those you find in Canada because this country seems determined to push away investors with exorbitant tax rates on everything.
jdeanne92

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:27:41 PM

Yeah they are making easy money on it. These guys doesnt know the hardship we felt to acquire that bitcoin. They dont play equal. Another thing is the fee from sending bitcoin. An app that i use have very large fee. It goes around $40 just to send $5 worth of bitcoin
Faroxx

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:29:04 PM

In theory you don't have to pay taxes. In the jurisdiction of California no such thing as "cryptocurrencies", and have to pay tax on them, you don't have to.
CryptoBeesKnees

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:45:03 PM

a lot ha !  Cool
claire (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:47:34 PM

I'm very serious. I might not like taxes, but I know I'm required to pay them if I earn money somehow. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
<P>

aaronfb

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:59:17 PM

You would probably pay regular income tax on them.  If you cash in 20K in bitcoin, add that to your total annual income and see which tax bracket you are in.
Crypto Bloke

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:01:19 PM

This could also potentially be a problem here in Spain - it is dificult to find reliable information on such a 'new' phenomenon...  Undecided
claire (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:24:20 PM

a lot ha !  Cool

Forums need hahaha and like buttons for these kinds of answers.

TopherB

Activity: 109

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:40:06 PM

The difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for (minus all fees) is capital gains.
The federal capital gains rate varies depending on your income. California has the second highest capital gains tax rate but it also varies depending on income. Cali has 10 brackets and will tax you even if your income was only $1.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: