Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:39:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will segwit2x make another alt coin or people will adopt the new coin?  (Read 77 times)
rremus91 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:30:44 PM

Many exchanges said that they will support and implement segwit2x somewhere in 2018. This will produce another altcoin (like Bcash, Bitcoin Gold, etc) and making the current Bitcoin legacy or it's just an upgrade to the blockchain? If it makes another altcoin, then why Bcash was created? I don't get it.

Is this some type of hard fork like was for ethereum? Etherum did became legacy: Etherum Classic and the new hard fork, simple, Etherum. As I can see people adopted the new coin which hard forked: Etherum. Is this will be the future of bitcoin? What is your thoughts?

If the "new" segwit2x will be adopted and marking Bitcoin as legacy, then will it follow the same path as Etherum classic? I am asking because the Etherum Classic is ~$35 while Etherum is $700.

Is it worth to invest for long term (1 year) in Bitcoin for 2018 - 2019 if the segwit2x hits in?
chukaday

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

⚡ Property-secured P2P lending ⚡

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 09:49:18 PM

Well first yeah it will create a new altcoin that is how the fork functions. But most importantly you should ask yourself why should you or anybody else get on this new altcoin? If it provides something else that Bitcoin Core doesn't then go for it. If it is nearly identical with a different algo then it is essentially useless and basically a money grab. I personally will stick with Bitcoin Core given everything I know at the moment.

aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 10:08:49 PM

Well Ethereum core developers actually made the hard fork and Ethereum Classic was a small team that didn't want it, but still was able to survive on principle that blockchain should not be reorganized. So it wasn't even like the Segwit2x fork would be, it was a fork that wasn't planed before the blocks where mined and was done retroactively to censor certain transactions.

The thing is that unlike Ethereum fork, Segwit2x is not supported by developers nor by users. And Segwit2x organizers know this, which is why the delayed it, in hopes that maybe one day people will change their mind.

Segwit2x would only double the block limit and that increase might not even be necessary with the implementation of Lightning Network as LN will increase the capacity of the network by an order of magnitude (theoretically to infinity if channels do not get closed eventually, which is of course highly unlikely).
So there is no good incentive for Bitcoin users to make a first majority hard fork on the Bitcoin network and unlike Ethereum, Bitcoin is a lot more decentralized, bigger and more stable, so this would not go easy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: