Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:28:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't give coins back  (Read 1830 times)
robwat (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 05:30:59 AM

I just got 0.05 free bitcoins from https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/ and my client says

Date: 04/01/2011 05:20
To: 1NbytvEvCcHPvCXxXvQVrGVhkbeqa3QJnL (yours, label: Your Address)
Credit: 0.05
Net amount: +0.05

When I try to pay 0.01 back to 15VjRaDX9zpbA8LVnbrCAFzrVzN7ixHNsC I get
"Error, Amount exceeds your balance"

Status
1680 khash/s Generating 8 connections 100950 blocks 1 transaction

Whats wrong?

Thanks
Rob

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 05:36:14 AM

Coins can be sent before you get confirmation, but the client is set to disallow it. Wait for a confirmation, shouldn't take too long (10 minutes average).

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 05:39:39 AM

Whats wrong?

Nothing.  The regular client won't let you spend new coins until you have at least one more block as a confirmation that the block with your funds in it is going to stick.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
robwat (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 07:33:14 AM

Ah yes,

I've paid 0.01 now and the payment is now showing 1/confirmed.

Thanks
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 08:50:51 AM

Why doesn't the default client let unconfirmed coins to be sent? It seems an unnecessary limitation to me...
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 09:16:03 AM

Why doesn't the default client let unconfirmed coins to be sent? It seems an unnecessary limitation to me...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Incidents#Micropayment_contamination

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2011, 09:25:33 AM

I think it's nice that it makes spam transactions a little harder so that people can't just do it with virtually no effort. But I can see how it would be annoying if you were in a hurry and were scraping the bottom of your balance. 

Is it easy to get old versions of Bitcoin?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 09:39:40 AM

Wait, but then the correction was not the good one, IMHO...

The best solution would be to change the sending priority. The client would first pick confirmed coins, since unconfirmed ones may remain like that for an indeterminate time. Maybe a warning message when there are only unconfirmed coins to be sent could be useful too. But completely blocking sounds "too authoritarian" to me... it's not up to the software to decide that.

By the way, the wiki section gives the impression that is the network that refuses <0,01 transactions, instead of the default miner. If I mine a block with my custom miner and accept to put <0,01 transactions in it, the default client won't refuse them, right?

Also, one doubt that I once had... can somebody else than the send of a transaction add fees to it? Suppose I'm the receiver of a transaction and I'm in a hurry, but the sender isn't.... so he sends a free transactions, that takes too long to get confirmed... could I add a few bitcents to it in order to get it processed quicker?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
January 04, 2011, 11:48:34 AM

Is it easy to get old versions of Bitcoin?

You wouldn't want to. There have been changes that would tend to give your transactions lower priority. In particular, large transactions will take a long time to be accepted because the allowed size for free transactions has been decreased significantly and now network nodes won't relay transactions that they feel have too-low fees.

It's an easy change to make in the source, though:

Code:
if (!pcoin->IsFinal() || pcoin->fSpent)
(Remove IsConfirmed())

Code:
return (SelectCoinsMinConf(nTargetValue, 1, 6, setCoinsRet) ||
            SelectCoinsMinConf(nTargetValue, 1, 1, setCoinsRet) ||
            SelectCoinsMinConf(nTargetValue, 0, 1, setCoinsRet))||
            SelectCoinsMinConf(nTargetValue, 0, 0, setCoinsRet));
(Add a line that allows 0-confirmation coins)

Transactions using coins with few confirmations have a low priority for generators. Make sure you keep lots of wallet backups if you do this -- you might end up having to double-spend your own invalid transaction.

The best solution would be to change the sending priority. The client would first pick confirmed coins, since unconfirmed ones may remain like that for an indeterminate time. Maybe a warning message when there are only unconfirmed coins to be sent could be useful too. But completely blocking sounds "too authoritarian" to me... it's not up to the software to decide that.

You can change the behavior, as above. That change will prioritize as you described.

If I mine a block with my custom miner and accept to put <0,01 transactions in it, the default client won't refuse them, right?

Right. That's the only way to do it right now -- I've not heard of any major miners accepting sub-cent transactions.

Also, one doubt that I once had... can somebody else than the send of a transaction add fees to it?

No.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: