Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS woes BitWallet--> BCoiner(!!!)  (Read 118 times)
Epipevots99 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 12:47:12 AM

Howdy, all. I confess to being a royal idiot. I just want to know if what I propose to do is the best sol'n.
If there is some other thread that has dealt w/ this type of tomfoolery, pls supply a link, TIA.

On MacOSX using FireFox. Wanted a iPhone wallet for convenience.
Had (!) 100 US$ and GOOGLEed around for beginners' guide to BTC.
Found buybitcoinworldwide.com and followed their suggestions as I like PayPal. 
They recommend VirWox.com as converting platform
Tried using PayPal-->Virwox-->SLL-->BitCoin-->BreadWallet (iPhone).                            BTW BreadWallet is now Bread
 I'm a new VirWox user, therefore limited to 100$ approx to convert into SLL currency.
Tried logging into new BreadWallet account but forgot my login numerical key.
Panicked, tried deleting Bread, thinking I would create a new user account L8tr.
24h L8tr, VirWox emailed saying my account was high risk and refunded my $$ (less conversion fees) to my PayPal acct.
Topped up Virwox account (15$ fees approx for 2 conversions) and re-submitted.
Rushing like an idiot, Reinstalled Bread but didn't realize I was downloading BCoiner instead of Bread.
Opening iOS app (Bcoiner) smelled a rat when the key was so small I needed to fetch a magnifying glass.
Opened this forum, searched Bcoiner....... OH SH*T.... You all feel Bcoiner is at best shabby/ At worst a scam
Now hoping that Virwox will again refuse and refund my $$ and allow me to do something else.
Reinstalled _Bread_... Curiously, the AppStore did not suggest Bcoiner again this time.
     (After I calmed down, I remembered my PW for Bread).

If VirWox accepts the transaction I'll try to Bcoiner-->Bread and again swallow the fees
If that doesn't work, I'm probably out 100$ and that's over with.

Question: if I cough up another 100$, and I want to use an interface w/double keys (eg Electrum) is there a way to keep the fees to a minimum?
TIA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:24:57 AM

Can you format your post better? Its very hard to read unless you are trolling and doing that on purpose. No one in the forum can completely help you even if they wanted to.
Epipevots99 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:03:12 AM

Reply to PinkFlower:

Sorry, I thought to put it in point form so as to make it easier to follow. I guess you want it in a paragraph. No, I’m definitely not trolling. I really _did_ get scooped by BCoiner. I’ll re-format it into a couple of paragraphs. It’ll take some time though, Thx for pointing out my error.
Epipevots99 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:55:00 AM

Reply to PinkFlower: Sorry, I thought putting it in point form would make it easier to follow. I quess you want it in a paragraph. No, I’m definitely not trolling. I really _did_ get scooped by BCoiner. I’ll re-format it into a couple of paragraphs. It’ll take some time though, Thx for pointing out my error.

I’m on MacOSX using FireFox. I wanted an iPhone wallet for convenience, as I would never invest large amounts of $$.
I figured I had 100 US$ to play with and so I GOOGLEed around for a beginners' guide to BTC.
I found buybitcoinworldwide.com, read about wallets, and followed their suggestions for minuscule investors, as I like using PayPal.  Apparently, PayPal will not let you buy BTC directly, for whatever reasons, so buybitcoinworldwide.com recommend VirWox.com as a converting/intermediary platform.

I  tried depositing my 100$ into my PayPal account and opened a new Virwox account. I bought Second Life Lindens (SLL) and in turn converted them into  BTC, losing a percentage with each conversion. While VirWox was waiting for me to give it a key to transfer the BTC, I put BreadWallet (iPhone wallet app) on the phone and copied in the Bread key into the VirWox page. (BreadWallet is now Bread). Being a new VirWox user, I am limited to 100$ approx to convert into SLL/BTC currency, and the transaction would take up to 48 hrs to complete, especially for a new user. Later, I tried logging into the new BreadWallet account to see if things were progressing but I forgot my login numerical key. There is no way to retrieve it (it’s like losing a real wallet). Panicked, I tried deleting Bread, thinking I could create a new user account later.

About 24h later, VirWox emailed saying my account was “high risk” and refunded my $$ (less conversion fees) to my PayPal acct. In effect, they refused my request, but I didn’t lose all my money. I then topped up the VirWox account (15$ fees approx for 2 conversions) and re-submitted the request.

Rushing like an idiot, I reinstalled Bread but didn't realize I was downloading BCoiner instead of Bread.
Opening the iOS app (Bcoiner), I smelled a rat when this time the key was so small I needed to fetch a magnifying glass to read it. It still took some time for me to realize the app icon wasn’t the same, but the interfaces of BCoiner and Bread are very similar. I found this forum, searched on BCoiner to see if it was a phishing site or a rip-off… You all feel BCoiner is at best shabby and poorly constructed and at worst a scam.

So, now I'm hoping that VirWox will again refuse and refund my $$ and allow me to do something else (Electrum? news.bitcoin.com’s new mobile app?). Later still, I reinstalled _Bread_... Curiously, the AppStore did not suggest Bcoiner again this time. After I calmed down, I remembered my PW for Bread, so if the transaction goes through, and if I’m lucky, I’ll be able to transfer the BTC from Bcoiner to Bread.

Most of this described above is to be as a public service and warning for those novices like myself who want to avoid getting sucked in by sites like BCoiner.

My questions are simply these: Are the fees for other platforms like Electrum prohibitive for minuscule amounts of money? Can we use PayPal?
Has anybody had any luck withdrawing their BTC from BCoiner?

TIA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: