Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:27:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get passed bios limitations for overclocking a GPU?  (Read 1526 times)
pinjas (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:33:01 PM

Hello,

I have a later model (6xxx) graphics card and I have been struggling to get beyond their bios established voltage and clock ratings.

I tried for about a week to get passed 840mhz for the core in linux distros, but it seems impossible.  I tried a few times to modify the bios in RBE and then flash the card using 'method 2' but both attempts I kept getting instant crashes.  ATI tray tools and msi afterburner both work great, however they both are extremely limited.  Their software ability is robust but how many cards they can handle are not.  As far as I know, ATI tray tools can only handle 2 cards at a time where msi afterburner is only capable of handling 3.

This makes overclocking very difficult if you are using a 4-6 card setup, and impossible in linux.

Does anyone have any knowledge they'd be willing to share on how to get passed the bios rated limit in linux?

I've searched, tried, and yelled this idea to death alone.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sideways

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:39:29 AM

the 11.6 drivers will let you use aticonfig to set clocks outside the normal config range.
pinjas (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 09:51:44 PM

the 11.6 drivers will let you use aticonfig to set clocks outside the normal config range.

I guess I don't understand how.  I've used 11.6 plenty, but I've never had success getting passed the 'normal' range.  Is there a list of commands?  I use things like "aticonfig --od-enable" "aticonfig --odsc=GPU,mem" "aticonfig --odgc" and so on, but I don't seem to be able to get that to work.
BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:08:27 AM

Hello,

I have a later model (6xxx) graphics card and I have been struggling to get beyond their bios established voltage and clock ratings.

I tried for about a week to get passed 840mhz for the core in linux distros, but it seems impossible.  I tried a few times to modify the bios in RBE and then flash the card using 'method 2' but both attempts I kept getting instant crashes.  ATI tray tools and msi afterburner both work great, however they both are extremely limited.  Their software ability is robust but how many cards they can handle are not.  As far as I know, ATI tray tools can only handle 2 cards at a time where msi afterburner is only capable of handling 3.

This makes overclocking very difficult if you are using a 4-6 card setup, and impossible in linux.

Does anyone have any knowledge they'd be willing to share on how to get passed the bios rated limit in linux?

Thanks
Flash bios? Use rbe to change the range
pinjas (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:57:54 PM

Hello,

Thanks

I tried that a few times myself, I got instant bsod, thankfully the cards have that bios switch.  I assume you are talking about method 2 on the additional features tab.
BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:55:55 AM

Hello,

Thanks

I tried that a few times myself, I got instant bsod, thankfully the cards have that bios switch.  I assume you are talking about method 2 on the additional features tab.
Yes, method 2. I tried that on all my 5830(no bios switch) and it worked just fine
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:48:14 PM

I guess I don't understand how.  I've used 11.6 plenty, but I've never had success getting passed the 'normal' range.  Is there a list of commands?  I use things like "aticonfig --od-enable" "aticonfig --odsc=GPU,mem" "aticonfig --odgc" and so on, but I don't seem to be able to get that to work.

I guess it's possible that Catalyst 11.6 only breaks BIOS limits for older cards.  With my two non-reference 5850s Catalyst 11.5 limits me to 900 MHz core clock and 1.0875V.  With Catalyst 11.6 I can go to at least 1140 core clock (not pushed it further) and to a new limit of 1.3V.  I can use 'aticonfig --odsc' to push the core clocks past the BIOS limit and didn't have to do anything special (used AMDOverdriveCtrl for the voltage).  Perhaps it just doesn't work with the HD6xxx cards.
linkme

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:55:31 AM

Code:
aticonfig --od-enable

aticonfig --odsc=900,300 --adapter=all

change 900,300 for what your lookingto change your gpu and mem clocks.

if your running multi cards just choose the adapter instead of all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: