Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:38:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Risk of anyone-can-take output  (Read 758 times)
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:46:16 PM

Currently, newly generated coins require 100 confirmations before it could be spent, since reward for orphaned blocks will never come back (if Gavin does not bail them out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156641.0  Grin ). However, any transactions relaying on "anyone-can-take" outputs, such as

OP_TRUE

or

OP_HASH256 <hash> OP_EQUAL

face similar level of risks. In case there is a block re-org, a miner may grab these outputs for themselves. Should we also flag any transactions without using ECDSA signature as generated coins?

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:50:17 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 10:51:11 PM by retep

Miners can already exploit  transaction malleability to screw up transaction chains so I don't see it as a big issue.  It's really not unlike a double-spend frankly.

Ultimately the 100 block rule is there because even without malice without the rule you're going to get a lot of chaos. Anyway the cost to have the rule isn't a big deal, that's less than a day.

edit: I'll also point out, this isn't specific to non-ECDSA transactions either: 1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T

pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:28:21 PM

Yeah, OP_TRUE and the like are the same as a widely-known private key. I don't see what advantage you get from treating them different at the protocol level, though I suppose a smart client could attempt to inform the user if a payment they received was more likely to be attempted to get double-spent than average, but I'm not sure the user would or should do anything different in that case anyway.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:06:59 PM

Yeah, OP_TRUE and the like are the same as a widely-known private key. I don't see what advantage you get from treating them different at the protocol level, though I suppose a smart client could attempt to inform the user if a payment they received was more likely to be attempted to get double-spent than average, but I'm not sure the user would or should do anything different in that case anyway.

No current client will tell the user "hey, I found an anyone-can-spend" nor list that in their balance.

Clients pattern-match output scripts, and only "see" ones with scripts they recognize.

All other transactions are simply invisible without special software to find them and spend them.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: