Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:25:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Donations... really?  (Read 4863 times)
bb (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:37:16 PM

Hi,

I really don't get how everyone is putting a "liked my post? donate!" in their signature. I mean, come on, wtf? Now you expect me to pay you because you voluntarily decided to express an opinion and it wasn't total crap?

What's with the greed, dude...

Seriously, how much do people expect to make this way? A dollar a week? 1.20$?

I propose an unconditional, unlimited ban for everbody having a bitcoin address in their signature!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xtoro

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:41:43 PM

I totally agree!  If you agree with my agreement, please send a donation to the address in my sig  Grin
bitebitebite

Activity: 95

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:20:06 PM

I totally agree!  If you agree with my agreement, please send a donation to the address in my sig  Grin

lol
Nivco

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:20:36 PM

If I read of useful comment that solved my problem, then do I wish to show gratitude ?
False debate.
Need 5 post I guess  Roll Eyes
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 10:00:10 PM

Hi,

I really don't get how everyone is putting a "liked my post? donate!" in their signature. I mean, come on, wtf? Now you expect me to pay you because you voluntarily decided to express an opinion and it wasn't total crap?

I propose an unconditional, unlimited ban for everbody having a bitcoin address in their signature!

Some people have legit advice they give to people, some people have services and some people just would like a little starter. Personally I don't find it malicious at all, it's when it gets to the begging for it point that I would draw the line.

What else could I say?
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 10:16:31 PM

Maybe some people do heavy work on their post - especially cited ones

It looks pretty funny seeing donation sigs under posts containing nothing more than 'lol' though
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 10:21:09 PM

Personally it's not like I honestly expect anyone to donate anything to me, it's mostly novelty having my address there just in case anyone is feeling the need, I'm so overwhelmed by all of this bitcoin business right now that I can't make heads or tails of anything.

Anyways I really wouldn't take it all that seriously, unless someone can prove to me that they've been donated to plenty of times via a sig message.

What else could I say?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 10:32:06 PM

Anyways I really wouldn't take it all that seriously, unless someone can prove to me that they've been donated to plenty of times via a sig message.
I have received 13.112 BTC in the past week to the address in my sig, not counting some transfers that weren't really donations because the person agreed to pay me a specific amount for a specific thing. You can see it in blockexplorer. These are mostly from people who want to fund my work on patching bitcoind for better operation with massive mining pools.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
AnnihilaT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 10:35:18 PM

I have received 13.112 BTC in the past week to the address in my sig, not counting some transfers that weren't really donations because the person agreed to pay me a specific amount for a specific thing. You can see it in blockexplorer. These are mostly from people who want to fund my work on patching bitcoind for better operation with massive mining pools.

Well deserved!  Excellent work you have done on bitcoind so far! Smiley
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 12:09:25 AM

i got donated full 0,01 for beein cool from somebody here.

yolo
iyj

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 12:19:05 AM

Hi,

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, it's not like someone's forcing you to contribute or read their sig and occasionally you do come across a post that has good info which merits a donation...even if it's only .001 BTC
markusw

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 12:57:11 AM

It might be interesting to see if anyone pitches-pennies on non-bitcoin related forums.
shakezillaMT

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:27:46 AM

I don't see any issue with this. It's better than the "1 bajillion Mhash/s on deepbit" sigs.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:28:11 AM

I got 0.5 BTC once for insulting a guy.  Oddly enough none of my posts that were actually helpful have caused donations yet.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
iyj

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 06:02:40 AM

I got 0.5 BTC once for insulting a guy.  Oddly enough none of my posts that were actually helpful have caused donations yet.
Wow, go figure.
JONW2012

Activity: 13

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 06:55:26 AM

Took me a minute to understand this... if you use different address for each post, then you can easily track which comment the donor was responding to.  Very clever!

I think there is a way for advertisers to exploit that feature for some serious market intel...  of course they would first have to learn what bitcoin is Wink
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:20:47 AM

No, the sig is the same every time.  The guy that gave me the half coin said so in the thread.  The only other traffic on that address was a tenth of a coin for linking the Bitcoin Sun.

Oh, and it looks like someone is now sending 0.03429043 coins, and I have no idea why.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 09:05:56 AM

I don't have a problem with it In the sig. I don't see it as begging.

Now If you started a topic. Please give me coins as my hampster broke his leg, My gf needs a dress etc

then I would consider that begging.

I have donated to peoples sigs before that's helped me out. Why well I was 2 lazy to spend 2hrs on google and RTFM to fix my issue.

so far the total amount I have got that I cannot explain is .0015
whenhowwho

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 09:11:45 AM

I do not understand why it would make you mad that people have a donation address in their sig. Perhaps some people feel inspired by what someone else says and choose to show their appreciation. The operative term being choose. As for me I have an addy in my sig and I have yet to receive one of these mythical donations but i don't really expect to. I just think it would be a neat surprise. I think people take things way too seriously in the world but at the same time fail to take important things seriously enough.

1HUy7T9SyNLTJCVX3p8KzftApYdWgcsRqD
KenJackson

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 11:14:22 AM

... if you use different address for each post, then you can easily track which comment the donor was responding to.  Very clever!

I think there is a way for advertisers to exploit that feature for some serious market intel... 

Whoa! 
That's a bigger idea than it seems at first. 
It reveals some of the potentials and pitfalls of bitcoin. 
It chips away at the anonymity it offers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: