Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:02:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do receiving addresses keep on rotating or are they never re-used?  (Read 146 times)
TeePee (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:26:04 AM

My question is this:

I have an Electrum wallet and I have a list of 16 receiving addresses. I think everyone has that obviously. But my question is, are these 16 the same forever? Whenever there is a new receiving address appearing in my Electrum then will it just be one of those 16 always (in turn one by one and after that get back to the first one and start the row all over)?

Or are these 16 continually new never used before addresses and did I just not notice that they were different each time?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 06:53:44 AM

No, new ones will be generated when one is used.

TeePee (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:52:47 PM

No, new ones will be generated when one is used.

Ah okay so this list of 16 addresses will never have an earlier used address back in it?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 12:36:45 AM

Ah okay so this list of 16 addresses will never have an earlier used address back in it?
It shouldn't, although the definition of "used" is a bit ambiguous.

Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:09:57 PM

Remember that those receiving addresses are ALWAYS still good if someone happens to send you coins to one of those addresses again.  Electrum will use them once and move to the next one just to help you remain "private".  There is no security risk at all to using any address multiple times.  Privacy may be impacted if an address gets used repeatedly, but it doesn't mean anyone can get to your coins in any way.  That is the logic behind the software!

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
TeePee (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:24:51 PM

Remember that those receiving addresses are ALWAYS still good if someone happens to send you coins to one of those addresses again.  Electrum will use them once and move to the next one just to help you remain "private".  There is no security risk at all to using any address multiple times.  Privacy may be impacted if an address gets used repeatedly, but it doesn't mean anyone can get to your coins in any way.  That is the logic behind the software!

Thanks! Good explanation!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:53:47 AM

Thanks! Good explanation!

One reason to use an address repeatedly is during testing and verification of a system.

This may be developmental, or it may just be you - trying out a new piece of software. Like ....

0.001 btc --> address X,wait until it clears.
0.010 btc --> address X, wait until it clears.
1.000 btc ---> address X, wait until it clears.

You get the idea. minimize risk.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: