Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:24:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: mIRC TOR Script (that works) + Documentation + More [Total: 30 BTC]  (Read 17507 times)
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 01:55:33 AM

well good work so far! I think that I can send you some coins for your work so-far  Grin  The Tor wiki page is starting to look like on of the best ones so far!

One off NP-Hard.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 07:35:16 AM

well good work so far! I think that I can send you some coins for your work so-far  Grin  The Tor wiki page is starting to look like on of the best ones so far!

Wait when it's finished Smiley seems that also sawzall is working on an article about Tor
you might want to check out his progress at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Sawzall/Tor
i'll continue on weekend again.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2011, 02:09:36 AM

Wow I am glad I don't do Windows.

How is this project coming along? I am not much judge of whether guides / manuals are usable by Windows users because I tend to way over-estimate people's ability to make sense of guides / manuals. (If they can't make sense of unix style man pages well sheesh what would it take to make sense to them?)

I am bumping this because I might have an interest in keeping track of it which will be easier if it isn't way down deep out of sight. This way I can at least find it again by checking what threads I have actually written in.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Binford 6100

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 06:43:18 AM

How is this project coming along?

1) the sasl script for mirc is actually good & working so it is usable with tor + mirc for freenode

2) the tor setup is easy and changing configuration per application is easy but it is risky to rely on tor without understanding how it works.
there is/was a discussion on the talk page of the wiki article
I might add something during weekend, I was really busy at work

da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 06:07:01 AM

my mirc keeps on forgetting it's sasl information... I wonder what I'm doing wrong.  Angry

Overall good work... the Bitcoins are all good to send, you have done lots of good work!  When I have time, I'll go through it all and try and check everything.

One off NP-Hard.
Binford 6100

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 08:54:47 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2011, 08:37:17 AM by ptmhd

my mirc keeps on forgetting it's sasl information...

ok, i will go through both my mirc installations and make detailed notes
to troubleshoot where our configurations differ.

i should be here all night today

at home lots of work, barely make it to pc lately Sad

Psychoactive

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 03:46:30 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2011, 02:59:45 PM by btc

You should check the freenode sasl [1] section again. There is an updated version of sasl.mrc (Mar 2 2011 14:00) that does not need the dll for plain auth. It also has some bug fixes (ie. settings saving).

[1]: http://freenode.net/sasl/
mothra

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 04:52:59 AM

For anyone interested, I am working on a X-Chat version of this how-to as well, currently it will be just for windows but I will gladly do a Linux writeup later. 

I did want to point out one thing that is really bugging me about using Tor + Freenode.  This threat really depends on what level of anonymity you want out of this setup but with the current how-to, Freenode will have information about your original IP.  While other users might not get this data it is still logged with Freenode.

Because you have to register a nick with nickserv before using Tor to connect to the server you will be giving away a non Tor endpoint IP address to Freenode.  So if you want full anonymity out of using Tor + Freenode I would recommend registering your nick with nickserv from a public wifi or through a nonpublic proxy (I would not recommend this either).

Also make sure and check that you are not leaking any personal info when you register your nick, just run this nickserv command to check and see what kinda data you might be leaking about yourself through your nick: (when connected to Freenode of course)

/msg NickServ info YOURNICKNAME

While this might not include your full home IP address, small bits and pieces of data can be collected and quickly build up to a full profile.

And if you ever login to Freenode, and identify with the same nick that you use with Tor, someone keeping tabs on your with the 'info' command could identify your home IP.  So make sure to stay watchful of what data you are giving away. 

Just my 2 cents,
- Lurking resident tinfoil hat security guy.

Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2011, 03:24:56 AM

Wait when it's finished Smiley seems that also sawzall is working on an article about Tor
you might want to check out his progress at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Sawzall/Tor
i'll continue on weekend again.
Yeah, at this point your guide looks much more detailed. The only thing I see is that the Tor install guide is just a link to the Tor website, and the Portable Tor options are not mentioned.
mothra

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 02:46:27 AM

I am covering the portable version install of tor in the x-chat guide.
Binford 6100

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 07:52:53 AM

please note that the bounty is probably -50 BTC that i already got for my mixed contribution

mothra

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 04:36:09 AM

Yeah, no problem, 50 btc is still cool.

I am curious if anyone else shares my opinion on the possible attack vector with the nickserv server.  Or am I just way too 'tin foil hat'?

Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 04:54:16 AM

In reality, it's unlikely that someone would do that.
HOWEVER, law enforcement has done that sort of thing, gathering little bits of identifying information to track someone down. See this article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/03/illegal-tv-streamers-heres-how-the-feds-will-hunt-you-down.ars
Binford 6100

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

i'm more worried about invalid ssl certificates on bitcoin.org site
using tor & receiving the warning i have no idea to check if the site is legit
any man in the middle attack possible if tor exit node not honest

I am curious if anyone else shares my opinion on the possible attack vector with the nickserv server.
you mean nickserv operator logging ip of user who registered a particular nick?
can do that from a library or whatever other place, !home

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:21:10 AM

honk-honk is down, does anyone have the updated SASL files that can put up a mirror?

Binford 6100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:02:03 PM

honk-honk is down, does anyone have the updated SASL files that can put up a mirror?

What howto are you following? If the bitcoin.it wiki, it's slightly outdated.
I did not rewrite it (my bad) since freenode came up with it's own script, much simplified the whole thing.
you might see their manual, not using the old script

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:29:11 PM

What howto are you following? If the bitcoin.it wiki, it's slightly outdated.
I did not rewrite it (my bad) since freenode came up with it's own script, much simplified the whole thing.
you might see their manual, not using the old script

New script is sans-dll, I think I am going to try to make a screencast or something then update the Wiki myself, since I have it working now.

coinonymous

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:28:34 AM

So nobody has claimed the "going under-ground" guide?

I'm an anonymous entrepreneur -- by which I mean, to be clear, that I am doing non-anonymity-related entrepreneurial stuff behind a veil of anonymity -- and as such, I have found myself effectively taking a never-ending crash-course in how to effectively use various technologies, social techniques and common-sense measures to protect my anonymity while also permitting me to actually get stuff done.

I am planning on doing a write-up about this -- a kind of how-to guide, but not of the laundry-list-of-unexplained-instructions variety -- because, going forward, I will need an anonymity training regimen in place so that I can bring new staffers up to speed on how to protect their own identities and that of my enterprise and avoid some of the pitfalls that I learned the hard way.  Plus, I could definitely find some ways to put 10BTC to use Smiley

So, not sure what the original vision for this was but I'd certainly be keen to take a very serious look at the possibility of taking this on.  Can someone let me know, whose bounty is this exactly?  Yours, da2ce7?

@whomever-is-offering-the-bounty: can you please elaborate re: what sort of guide you are envisioning (medium?  topical emphasis?  tone?)... I need a get a better idea as to what you are looking for because the description in OP is rather general / vague (even if my write-up plans are not perfectly synergistic, I still very well might be able to adapt/expand my plans to stay consistent with your vision once I understand a little better)?

Thanks!  Post or PM is fine.
Binford 6100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:26:01 PM

So nobody has claimed the "going under-ground" guide?

please read the history of this thread if you did not already, i write somewhere that i got 50+ bitcoins for partial answers to some of the bounties. it might be a good idea to check with the thread owner

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: