Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:58:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone had a fire in his rigs?  (Read 4304 times)
kuusj98 (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 09:43:32 PM

Well, I do actually wonder about that, seeing how some setups are, the probability of a GPU/ASIC catching fire seems pretty high..

Please post if you actually ever had a fire in one of your rigs!
kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:17:45 PM

Haha, I thought there would be much more people with burning plastic Tongue
Im going to catch some sleep now, maybe in 8 hours someone responded and I can read it while drinking some coffee....
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:58:24 PM

Happens more often that you think.  Not necessarily fires, but burnt circuitry and what not, especially overclocking video cards.  I mostly see it in LTC mining as the extra push for VRAM overclocking seems to be what causes most of the problems.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:19:11 AM

Had video card fan die on a 10 year old computer and the video card caught on fire (smoke and all). Replaced the video card and it was back up and running like champ. Just some crappy system for remote use, not related to mining at all. But I can definitely see if the fan dies when someone is mining the GPU will be toast. I doubt it would start a real fire unless there was some kindling on top of the card. Just avoid putting kindling on your rigs and you should be fine Smiley

kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:57:36 PM

I had a 6990 shoot out flames. It was about 3 inches high. Crazy.
Woot!
Do you think your house would catch on fire if you wherent near it?
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 04:34:35 PM

Not from mining but I had a desktop I had been using and no changes made it for some months and no issues with it until one night it froze.
I press reset and it froze again on bios screen and then as it had a side window i noticed "red" glow, look at it noticed one of the molex wires to the fan was starting glowing brighter, then plastic melted and huge amount of black smoke started to blow out of it thru the PSU fan, I pulled the plug it and had to open a window just to clear that nasty burnt plastic smell out (I'm sure my cancer chances hav increased as a result of that :| ).

I think it may have been a wire crossed but could have just been age or insect got into it, as it seemed only one part was actually burnt and damaged -  was a splitter that had 2 fans connected to it.  One of the fans had it connector slightly melted but was probably usable but I still threw it out with the splitter as the whole experience had me freaked out at the time.

All this happened over a period of seconds, and I'm still not exactly sure why it happened but the experience left me convinced of always using the better quality components after that as prior to that i would use the cheapest brands/unbranded and to minimize my use of splitters.

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
ChaosFox

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

Certified fox posing as a cat posing as a human

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:44:57 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 05:04:35 PM by ChaosFox

Yes. Not inside the rig per se, but one of my UPS got damaged and burst into fire one night after a blackout. The cracking and the smoke woke me up, since my room can get quite cold and my rigs are fairly well ventilated for the most part, sometimes I keep them on after I go to sleep. Oh gods, that smell... I unplugged it off immediately, though I realized it wouldn't really do much, then unplugged my PC off it and ended up having to toss it outside the window as I didn't really have anything handy to put out the fire and I wasn't really thinking straight at that moment. The plastic part in the front of my PC case ended up melting off partly and there was some charring on the metallic part but works just fine. I've wised up and now I keep a small dry chemical fire extinguisher next to my bed.

Look! An ad-free signature!
dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:02:19 PM

I've had one short flame from a motherboard when a VRM or a cap burned out.  It was hard to tell which went first.

Surprisingly, never any flames from video cards over 2+ years.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:07:21 PM

Woot!

no, my house is made of stone.
+1
Mine is too, but I mean like the interior and such Tongue

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:24:17 PM

Woot!

There was a guy last year whose rig burned down his house.

Bitcoiners promptly started a charity drive which resulted in a glorious 2 $.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 05:35:23 PM

Woot!

Bitcoiners are Jewish, exhibit A. the prosecution rests

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Woot!

Wow link?

http://buttcoin.org/bitcoin-house-fire

I was slightly wrong, it's 1.2 BTC by now.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:17:16 PM

His rig did not catch fire.

That's the "official" version, yes.
Bluestreak66

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:55:13 AM

I had mine catch fire the other day! I guess a power supply rated for 550 watts continuous actually means temporarily!  Roll Eyes I had 2 560ti's and a redeon card in it, mining and gaming at the same time.  Shocked My kill-a-watt was reading ~540watts and had been that way for a while. The computer just shut off, I hit the power button and nothing, then there was a loud pop, a flash and lots of smoke! Good thing the psu was under warranty! Thats the first time I've had an issue with an antec. I put a 1200watt in there now. Sorry i don't have a picture of the carnage, I was too concerned about getting the smoking psu out. But here's the after
kuusj98 (OP)

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:53:30 PM

I had mine catch fire the other day! I guess a power supply rated for 550 watts continuous actually means temporarily!  Roll Eyes I had 2 560ti's and a redeon card in it, mining and gaming at the same time.  Shocked My kill-a-watt was reading ~540watts and had been that way for a while. The computer just shut off, I hit the power button and nothing, then there was a loud pop, a flash and lots of smoke! Good thing the psu was under warranty! Thats the first time I've had an issue with an antec. I put a 1200watt in there now. Sorry i don't have a picture of the carnage, I was too concerned about getting the smoking psu out. But here's the after

Holy shit!
Well, I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620w Bronze, and if everything is under load (unrealistic) the system pulls 560w and I was not comfortable with that as I have a Antec 900 case which are known for not having a hole in the bottom to supply the Power Supply some air so it's essentially suicide.
monte572

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:27:17 PM

I was sitting there one day a couple weeks ago, Just put in new cards in my system. Was mining and playing CSS and some nice blue flames came from my case, pc shut down and started right back up. Ran fine for a couple weeks and died.
miningatnight

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:34:57 PM

His rig did not catch fire.

That's the "official" version, yes.

Never heard of a house fire from it.  Don't want his electrician.
wblabla4

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:41:35 PM

One time I needed some free space on my PC so I connected the USB-IDE converter to the HDD, connected the USB cable to the converter, (this is where the magic begins) and plugged the molex cable in. As expected, my dumbness resulted in my PC shutting down. I thought "oh you dumb shit its not sata lol youre so dumb now lets connect the cable and turn on the pc lololo" and secured the molex cable and pressed the power button.

Apparently, the spark that happened when I first stupidly connected the power cable while the PC was on caused a cap to fry, resulting in a flame that was more than 17 inches high that came from a cap on the HDD.
So I pressed the PC's power button for 4 seconds instead of plugging out the power cable and the PCB already turned black by the time the PC turned off.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:22:36 PM

One of my rigs stopped working one day. The power was off, so I turned the power on from the Mobo and instantly sparks started shooting out of the power cable, close to where it was connected to the PSU. It looked like one of those fountain fireworks, but on a smaller scale. It surprised the crap out of me.

Moral of the story: don't buy low gauge cheap Ebay c13 to c14 cables from China
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:19:37 PM

I burned down my mobo few years ago out of stupidity. PC was on and I needed to remove an unplugged drive from the rig, so I started unscrewing it and one of the screws dropped right onto some pins. Mobo sparked a bit and died, fortunately the rest survived. Play it safe people Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: