Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Escrow  (Read 1267 times)
xphyr (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:09:55 PM

Hello all. I'm a noob to the forums but I have read the majority of stickied threads. Despite all this reading, I have not found an explanation of how to use escrow properly. What escrow is used when trading over the forums? How can we trust the service? If anyone could explain how escrow operates or link me to a thread I overlooked explaining the process it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:14:24 PM

John k.'s escrow service
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141672.0

He's most trusted here.

and for escrow process you can see below..

*Merchandise can be anything.
bolasoda

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:06:24 AM

Agreed, JohnK is the best escrow, but there are also a lot of other possible escrow providers with various ups and downs. Also, keep in mind escrow with paypal is kind of pointless (paypal can be charged back unless the escrow is 45 days)
MinerStatus

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:36:42 AM

I hope to be using johnk's escrow when I sell my avalon in a few days.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:19:21 AM

Agreed, JohnK is the best escrow, but there are also a lot of other possible escrow providers with various ups and downs. Also, keep in mind escrow with paypal is kind of pointless (paypal can be charged back unless the escrow is 45 days)

Chargebacks can happen even later than that with PayPal... There's some real horror stories out there.

Tifa1066

Activity: 33

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:33:44 PM

Chargebacks can happen even later than that with PayPal... There's some real horror stories out there.

I'm fairly sure chargebacks can be back as far as 6 months.
choicatn

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:46:54 PM

If it were me, I would just try to avoid paypal in general
xphyr (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:35:58 PM

Can 'gifts' be chargebacked as well? I somewhat recall that they can't but I may be wrong.
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:39:02 PM

Can 'gifts' be chargebacked as well? I somewhat recall that they can't but I may be wrong.

If someone said he didn't done transfer or like his account got hacked etc yes gift payments can get reversed.
Harriet82

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:40:34 PM

Does anybody here know what johnk charges for his escrow service and what the average price is for a typical escrow service? Thanks
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:44:09 PM

Does anybody here know what johnk charges for his escrow service and what the average price is for a typical escrow service? Thanks

I think he just accepts tips and provides free escrow if transaction is not big.
xphyr (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:04:15 PM

Are you supposed to just message the escrow in a PM with details about a transaction?
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:48:13 PM

Are you supposed to just message the escrow in a PM with details about a transaction?

To initiate the process, but there's more to it than that. In the example of John K he will provide a signed contract with an escrow address to send the BTC to while he is escrowing. Once you have the contract you are responsible for verifying the signatures are valid and his. You are also responsible for checking that the contract came directly from him.

Different escrow providers will use different variations on the process, but one of the most important parts is making sure that you are actually working with a trusted escrow provider and not just some Alt of your trading provider pretending to serve as escrow.

Kalshnikov

Activity: 41

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:10:56 PM

Does John K. escrow alts/alts?
RangerTwentyTwo

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:14:42 PM

Check this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0
I don't know if something is changed meanwhile, but i think that it was what are you looking for
Thanks a lot for this post, helped me out a bunch Smiley
iampingu

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:46:18 AM

Think so. It was discussed in the thread I was in earlier.
xphyr (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:12:01 AM

Found this thread while browsing the Marketplace and thought it could help some people in here, myself included Tongue: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=261273.0
'Tis a simple explanation that provides a nice overview of the topic.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:27:49 AM

John K. only escrows alts if one side is BTC. He doesn't have a cold wallet system setup for alts so he can only hold the BTC part of the escrow here.

Ah, and he charges a 1.5% fee in total for escrows > 1BTC, and generally does escrow for free below 1BTC. PM him for anything!

Wink
iampingu

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:05:37 PM

John K. only escrows alts if one side is BTC. He doesn't have a cold wallet system setup for alts so he can only hold the BTC part of the escrow here.

Ah, and he charges a 1.5% fee in total for escrows > 1BTC, and generally does escrow for free below 1BTC. PM him for anything!

Wink

He seems a cool guy. I've only overheard that though. If you ever see him, let him know he's valued!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:44:16 PM

Wink

He seems a cool guy. I've only overheard that though. If you ever see him, let him know he's valued!

I think he appreciates the kind words! Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: