Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:43:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recover BitCoins from an old IDE hard drive  (Read 310 times)
Sara Smit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:15:32 PM

Hi to all !

Back in 2010 (or 2011) I bought (or purchased) a BitCoins. I don't remember anymore from where and from whom I bought it and how much I paid for it ...
I remember that I have downloaded what I should download (I don't remember anymore what I have done then back in the time) and I remember that I have deleted from my e-mail account all data and traces of my purchase and I remember that I saved it on one of my IDE hard drive which I wanted to use as offline BitCoins storage. I have disconected that HD and I forgot for this HD until now when I see that I maybe have on one of my old hard drives a little bit of some values, let's say money ...
But ...
I have one old PC which is disconnected from internet with "Ubuntu 16.04" on the USB drive and I start it from USB and I want to connect and to check all my old IDE HD drives that I have but I don't know what should I look for and how should I do it with in "Ubuntu" ? I have no "Windows machine" to try it in "Windows"...
I read something about "private keys" and "wallet.dat" files and some "...52 long characters of something..." or something what I don't understand what is this...
Could someone help me with that to find out if I still have those BitCoins somewhere on some of my old IDE HDD's ? Where shoul I begin and what are the steps... ?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Sara.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoPlay

Activity: 202
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 09:32:16 PM

if you think you used Bitcoin in the early days with a client program, search your hard drive for a file named “wallet.dat.”

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
ccie38216

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:45:03 AM

If you believe that this wallet is that old than chances are it does not have any encryption on it in which case private keys are displayed unencrypted in the wallet.dat file.

On Windows XP you can find the old bitcoin-qt wallet in C:\Documents and Settings\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin

On Windows Vista and 7 the wallet will be in C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin

Once you find the old wallet, extract the private keys and add them onto electrum and then transfer the funds to a hardware wallet if you have one Wink
techniumunlimited

Activity: 214
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:41:19 AM

Best chance is to use a hard drive recovery software -- a common win7 used one is Recuva
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16620

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 06:57:24 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2017, 10:39:29 AM by LoyceV

Back in 2010 (or 2011) I bought (or purchased) a BitCoins. I don't remember anymore from where and from whom I bought it and how much I paid for it ...
I see threads like this a lot lately, but usually it turns out they bought the Bitcoins later than they thought. If it's really 2010-2011, you could have turned every dollar you spent into a million dollars now.

I have one old PC which is disconnected from internet with "Ubuntu 16.04" on the USB drive and I start it from USB and I want to connect and to check all my old IDE HD drives that I have but I don't know what should I look for and how should I do it with in "Ubuntu" ? I have no "Windows machine" to try it in "Windows"...
I read something about "private keys" and "wallet.dat" files and some "...52 long characters of something..." or something what I don't understand what is this...
Could someone help me with that to find out if I still have those BitCoins somewhere on some of my old IDE HDD's ? Where shoul I begin and what are the steps... ?
Go through the files, search for a wallet or anything that looks like it. It could even be a text-file. When you find it, before doing anything else, create a backup on a USB-stick. Then, create another backup!
Keep your wallet offline, don't copy it to an online computer, until you've figured out what to do with it. Good luck treasure hunting!

Best chance is to use a hard drive recovery software -- a common win7 used one is Recuva
You don't need to recover anything when it hasn't been deleted.

Sara Smit (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:48:06 AM

Thank all of you for a tips... I checked few old HD drives already but I didn't find anything, yet ... Sad I have to check also old CD's if I maybe have back it up somwhere and somehow ... And it will take a long time to do this ...  And if I find it I know it could be a fortune but am I lucky one ... ?! Well, we'll find that out very soon ... Greetings from Sara !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: