Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:22:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does reusing addresses lower fees?  (Read 194 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:49:10 PM

Example, you use a certain address to receive payments which are pretty small (example, a signature campaign). In order to improve your privacy, you use a different address to receive the payments each time, or at least on every different campaign you participate in. This would leave you with different small amounts sitting on different addresses.

Say I get 0.01 in A, 0.02 in B, 0.002 in C.

I want to send the total of A+B+C so I select these with Coin Control in Core for a total of 0.032 BTC

If instead of using 3 different addreses, I used the same address A for the 3 different payments (so A=0.032), would this "A to some other address" transaction cost less fees? or the fees would be exactly the same because it would still count as 3 transactions within A? I hope this makes sense.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16316

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 05:58:30 PM

If instead of using 3 different addreses, I used the same address A for the 3 different payments (so A=0.032), would this "A to some other address" transaction cost less fees?
No.

or the fees would be exactly the same because it would still count as 3 transactions within A?
The fee is based on the transaction size (in bytes). Two inputs from two different addresses are the same size as two inputs from the same size.
Check my transaction: 3 inputs from the same (uncompressed) address produces a 583 bytes transaction.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:39:59 AM

If instead of using 3 different addreses, I used the same address A for the 3 different payments (so A=0.032), would this "A to some other address" transaction cost less fees?
No.

or the fees would be exactly the same because it would still count as 3 transactions within A?
The fee is based on the transaction size (in bytes). Two inputs from two different addresses are the same size as two inputs from the same size.
Check my transaction: 3 inputs from the same (uncompressed) address produces a 583 bytes transaction.

So if I understood correctly, it's like I said, the same thing.

A = 0.01         tx1
B = 0.02         ----->     D = 0.032
C =  0.002

E = 0.01        tx2
E = 0.02        ----->      F = 0.032
E = 0.002

In transaction 1, you received a total 0.032 in 3 different addresses, then you sent it to address D.

In transaction 2, you received the same amount of BTC in 3 different transactions of the same amounts to the same address (E), then you sent it to address F.

Transaction size of tx1 and tx2 are the same, is this correct?

Also, would this be correct irrespective of the amounts being sent because what matters is the number of inputs on a transaction?

I still don't quite get how size and therefore fees are calculated, and I don't get what you tried to show me there with your blockchain link to be honest.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 03:48:40 AM

I grabbed this quote from another thread which also link to bitcoin.stackexchange
So if your transaction has in inputs and out outputs, the transaction size, in bytes will be:
in*180 + out*34 + 10 plus or minus 'in'

For example, this transaction has 40 inputs and 16 outputs. That gives us a transaction size of
40*180 + 16*34 + 10 +- 40
i.e. 7754 +- 40 bytes. The actual size is 7761 bytes.

If the inputs are from "pay to pubkey" transactions then the inputs are smaller than for "pay to address" transactions. And this will be different also for "pay to script hash" inputs too, depending on how/if that's implemented.

Edit2: Now that compressed public keys are commonplace, each input is 32 bytes shorter and so the transaction size is now:
in*148 + out*34 + 10 plus or minus 'in'
whether all inputs from the same address or multiple address doesn't make any different
what matter is the input address whether compressed or uncompressed,
each unspent from compressed address will contribute 148 bytes while uncompressed 180 bytes
whatever the destination/output address (compressed or uncompressed) will add 34 bytes per output
miners will pick the txs included in a block based in the order of highest to lowest rate tx fee queued in the mempool

I still don't quite get how size and therefore fees are calculated, and I don't get what you tried to show me there with your blockchain link to be honest.
He's trying to show this: 3*180 + 1*34 + 10 +- 3 = 584  +- 3
as you can see his actual tx size is "Size 583 (bytes)"

In transaction 1, you received a total 0.032 in 3 different addresses, then you sent it to address D.
In transaction 2, you received the same amount of BTC in 3 different transactions of the same amounts to the same address (E), then you sent it to address F.
Yes, exactly!

Also, would this be correct irrespective of the amounts being sent because what matters is the number of inputs on a transaction?
Yes, amount being transacted doesn't matter now. It used to for tx prioritize, but no longer.

HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:49:57 PM

Yes... BUT, only if addresses A, B, C and E were all compressed or uncompressed. If some are compressed and others are uncompressed, then the sizes will be different (not by much, by they will be different).

Number of inputs AND number of outputs (but to a lesser extent as they're smaller) affect the data size of a transaction. You are correct that the "value" of BTC has NO affect on the "data" size of the transaction though... so a transaction for $1,000,000.00 could theoretically be "smaller" than a transaction for $10.00 Wink

The simple formula for compressed addresses is this:
Transaction size = (Number of Inputs * 148 bytes) + (Number of Outputs * 34 bytes) + 10 bytes

The simple formula for (older) uncompressed addresses is this:
Transaction size = (Number of Inputs * 180 bytes) + (Number of Outputs * 34 bytes) + 10 bytes

These formulas, will generally calculate the transaction size within an error margin of a few bytes as long as the number of inputs is less than 10 Wink It's basically an +/- margin of about 2 bytes per input. They are also only valid for transactions from "1"-type addresses.

So, in the end, it comes down to some pretty simple maths... work out how many inputs you have, in your example we have 3... and how many outputs... again, using your example we have 1. Let's pretend your wallet is using compressed addresses (most newer wallets tend to use compressed addresses)... so now, we can see:

Transaction Size = (3 * 148) + (1 * 34) + 10
=> 444 + 34 + 10
=> 488 bytes

It might be maybe 6 bytes off... but should be valid for "estimating" a good fee... bitcoinfees.earn.com is saying that "recommended" is 410 sats/byte for "next block" confirmation... Shocked Shocked Shocked

So, 488 * 410 = 200,080 sats => 0.00200080 BTC for a fee... which is about USD$37... I hope you're transacting $1mil and not $10 Tongue

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 11:07:07 PM

Transaction size = (Number of Inputs * 148 bytes) + (Number of Outputs * 34 bytes) + 10 bytes

Transaction size = (Number of Inputs * 180 bytes) + (Number of Outputs * 34 bytes) + 10 bytes
-snip-

I also want to add that you should switch to SegWit (either native or P2SH nested) if you want to save on fees. Their transaction sizes have a lower weight then legacy transactions (compress/uncompressed), giving them a smaller virtual transaction size. A SegWit transaction with 1 input and 2 outputs has a virtual size of 140 bytes, which is significantly lower than transacting with legacy. SegWit is also a lot smaller if you have a large number of inputs. For instance, I just made this SegWit transaction, which has 39 inputs and 1 output (I was consolidating my inputs). That transaction has a virtual size of 2538 bytes, compared to 5816 bytes if I was using compressed addresses, or 7064 bytes if I was using uncompressed. I'm using P2WPKH (nested SegWit addresses) as there's better support for them, but I believe bech32 (native) is even smaller than P2WPKH.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
waldshmidt7

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:14:36 AM

No it will not lower your fees because the only thing that matters really is that the fee is based on the transaction size in terms of bytes.
showlar

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:54:16 PM

No
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:06:15 PM

Thanks, this will be handy. What are the differences between compressed and uncompressed addresses, since when did Core implement this change? Also is it wallet dependent, or address dependent?

For example, a 2011 address will be sent as a compressed one in the latest version of Core, or it will be sent as uncompressed because it was created as uncompresed?

-snip-

I also want to add that you should switch to SegWit (either native or P2SH nested) if you want to save on fees. Their transaction sizes have a lower weight then legacy transactions (compress/uncompressed), giving them a smaller virtual transaction size. A SegWit transaction with 1 input and 2 outputs has a virtual size of 140 bytes, which is significantly lower than transacting with legacy. SegWit is also a lot smaller if you have a large number of inputs. For instance, I just made this SegWit transaction, which has 39 inputs and 1 output (I was consolidating my inputs). That transaction has a virtual size of 2538 bytes, compared to 5816 bytes if I was using compressed addresses, or 7064 bytes if I was using uncompressed. I'm using P2WPKH (nested SegWit addresses) as there's better support for them, but I believe bech32 (native) is even smaller than P2WPKH.

I have my cold storage on legacy addresses, due the "anyone can spend" exploit possibility of funds being stolen. Call me crazy paranoid if you want.
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 4127

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:41:53 PM

Thanks, this will be handy. What are the differences between compressed and uncompressed addresses, since when did Core implement this change? Also is it wallet dependent, or address dependent?

For example, a 2011 address will be sent as a compressed one in the latest version of Core, or it will be sent as uncompressed because it was created as uncompresed?
The public key of the compressed will be smaller, 33 bytes and 65 bytes respectively. Bitcoin Core implemented this change really long ago, 4 or 5 years ago, IIRC. Your client probably has the compressed generated for you, WIF for compressed address starts with K and L while the uncompressed starts with K.

Uncompressed. The private key of the two keys would remain the same, compressed or uncompressed. However, the public key would be different and after the encoding process, it would result in an entirely different address. The prefix of the WIP would tell the wallet what kind of key it is and the wallet would generate it accordingly.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████