Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:32:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My earlier google trend correlation still holding strong, crash predictable  (Read 7918 times)
DamienBlack (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 10:58:27 PM

Earlier I started a tread (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17318.0) about how price and bitcoin's google trend numbers are highly correlated. The only big price drop in the past was paired with a drop in the trend. I decided to see how well the current "crash" matches up with bitcoin's google trend numbers. It turns out, that the correlation still exists very strongly.

Image Below:

The blue line is the google trend line for bitcoin, roughly scaled to match price. You can see that if we assume bitcoins popularity is the main factor driving price, that the current price is justified, and in fact, (I have to say it) lower prices might be seen.

I know that correlation is not causation, but clearly there is a correlation here. It seems intuitive to me, since bitcoin is a lot like a commodity, that the number one factor driving prices is demand. Demand seems like it can be roughly estimated by getting an indication of interest, which is what google trends gives us. I think that assuming at least some causation is prudent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:02:20 PM

Sure looks flat to me.

Just like the trading price.
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:04:45 PM

Sure looks flat to me.

Just like the trading price.

You are looking at the last 30 days while the OP is looking at the last 12 months.  Google does relative data scaling pertaining to the selected time frame.  In the last 30 days they take the average of the data and set the average to 1.  In the last 12 months they take the average over 12 months and set it to 1.  Since nobody gave a shit about bitcoins until recently, the first 9 months of the 12 month graph bring the average way down.

I drink it up!
Mr. E

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:07:32 PM

Looks like the peak was mid June (the 11th, 12th, 20th) and trending down since then.  
haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:11:10 PM

OP your graph doesnt appear to actually predict anything (ie show something before it happens) it changes when the price changes. correlation but not prediction.

and the reason it is below near the end is that there is no price line to mach it against due to trading freeze, and then your graph ends.

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
DamienBlack (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:14:32 PM

OP your graph doesnt appear to actually predict anything (ie show something before it happens) it changes when the price changes. correlation but not prediction.

and the reason it is below near the end is that there is no price line to mach it against due to trading freeze, and then your graph ends.

That is because google trends 12 month chart has a delay. Perhaps I should have used the term, justified, or expected, instead of predictable.
DamienBlack (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:16:48 PM

Is there tabular data for that index?

I would like to take a closer look at it and quantify that correlation a little more precisely.

http://www.google.com/trends/viz?q=bitcoin&date=ytd&geo=all&graph=all_csv&sort=0&sa=N

I'd love you to take a look at it, your statistical analysis is always very good.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:17:08 PM

I agree I dont think that crash at 32 had anything to do with lack of interest..
DamienBlack (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:18:50 PM

I agree I dont think that crash at 32 had anything to do with lack of interest..

When it was at 32, interest was at its peak. You can decide which way it relates. There is a case both ways. I think the price got to 32 because there was so much interest, but interest died down, and so did the price.
Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:19:38 PM

I think it's more of a feedback loop than just search volume -> price.

Up price = news = speculators = up price = news, repeat, until speculators bail.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
DamienBlack (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:21:25 PM

Up price = news = speculators = up price = news, repeat, until speculators bail.

Why wouldn't the correlation break at that point? A huge drop in prices should generate news, which should lead to a higher trend then price. Or are you arguing that speculators haven't bailed yet?
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:24:35 PM

When it was at 32, interest was at its peak. You can decide which way it relates. There is a case both ways. I think the price got to 32 because there was so much interest, but interest died down, and so did the price.

Yeah who knows.. its a paradox marty. 
Man From The Future

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:27:36 PM

Why wouldn't the correlation break at that point? A huge drop in prices should generate news, which should lead to a higher trend then price. Or are you arguing that speculators haven't bailed yet?
I guess more detail: It generates news, but investors don't want have as much incentive to invset from this news, which is bad news. It's liek teh difference from a micropone being newar enouhg to a speaker for a feedback loop, or near enough fro an echo.

(Above theory is probably wrong Smiley)

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Man From The Future

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:28:04 PM

Is there tabular data for that index?

I would like to take a closer look at it and quantify that correlation a little more precisely.

http://www.google.com/trends/viz?q=bitcoin&graph=all_csv&sa=N

I'd love you to take a look at it, your statistical analysis is always very good.

All I got from that is a bunch of weird characters

Code:
⁙⁵†⁵⁳⁴†⁢⁥†⁳⁩⁧⁥⁤†⁩†⁴†⁥⁸⁰⁲⁴†⁤⁡⁴⁡†⁦⁲†⁇⁧⁥†⁔⁲⁥⁤⁳

How do you make Google give you the list?
Your browser's a screwing up the compression.

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:31:41 PM

It works if you import it into Excel.
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 01:34:52 AM

How do you make Google give you the list?

You kidnap their children for ransom. Works every time. Just be sure to use a voice scrambler when you call or they will track you down.

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
Hook^

Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:22:25 AM

I guess more detail: It generates news, but investors don't want have as much incentive to invset from this news, which is bad news. It's liek teh difference from a micropone being newar enouhg to a speaker for a feedback loop, or near enough fro an echo.

(Above theory is probably wrong Smiley)
Above theory is impossible to read.  Wink
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:41:50 AM

This is very interesting.

I wonder, have you considered if the Google Trend line should in fact be 3-5 days behind the exchange traded price of bitcoins?

Once someone finds about bitcoins via Google, it does take quite a few days to get setup, funded and trading on those BTC exchanges.  So there would be a delayed effect, assuming there is a causal effect between Google Trend and the exchange price of bitcoins.

Just a thought.

SJ
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:05:59 AM

I wonder, have you considered if the Google Trend line should in fact be 3-5 days behind the exchange traded price of bitcoins?

Once someone finds about bitcoins via Google, it does take quite a few days to get setup, funded and trading on those BTC exchanges.  So there would be a delayed effect, assuming there is a causal effect between Google Trend and the exchange price of bitcoins.

Just a thought.

SJ

Actually, I meant the reverse effect, regarding the delay... Google Trend line should be 3-5 days AHEAD of the exchange-traded price of bitcoins.
DamienBlack (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:10:46 AM

Just a thought.

SJ

Actually, I meant the reverse effect, regarding the delay... Google Trend line should be 3-5 days AHEAD of the exchange-traded price of bitcoins.

It would be ahead/behind if the google trend line only represented the first time a user looked up bitcoins. In reality, someone thinking about investing in bitcoins is probably making lots of bitcoin related searches throughout the whole process. And people who own bitcoins probably search most of all. In the end, the "first search" that helps a user find out about bitcoins for the first time is probably only a small portion of the entire search volume.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: