Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:10:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If so, what region is BitMessage.org most important to?
China - 14 (28%)
Russia - 3 (6%)
USA - 16 (32%)
Australia - 1 (2%)
Europe - 5 (10%)
Other - 5 (10%)
It's not important - 6 (12%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is BitMessage.org important for freedom of speach?  (Read 1161 times)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:59:56 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 11:34:53 AM by Viscera

I'm wondering how important this Bitmessage system really is. I imagine this is amazing new technology that will revolutionize business contacts and we can suddenly all be 007.

Am I crazy? what do you think?

https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://bitchirp.org

http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.china-test.html

I'd like to see some discussion of how Bitcoin can improve this Bitchirp thing too

Does anyone remember the site that you could upload video's for free into the cloud anonymously, then they would disappear after a time limit if something was not donated to the video. completely anonymous.

I've searched as best i can but just keep finding cloudhosting things and nothing that allows you to simply upload a video. Would be cool to see if we could combine these things

Instead of PM'ing me, try BM'ing me, my address is in my signiture
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 12:43:41 PM

I don't think it's that important by itself but the idea certainly is, a bit like with Bitcoin, as I always maintain these kind of ideas are best implemented open source and once that happens it's impossible for anyone to shut them down because all people need to do is copy and paste the source code everywhere. Our governments have undeniably shown that they're so paranoid and irrational that they're willing to arrest someone and put them in jail over a comment or joke, so why give them the opportunity to spy on us any longer if they can't exercise some self-restraint?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:44:40 PM

A free and easy to use securely encrypted communications platform is important for freedom of speech. BitMessage is unsuitable, as while it is free and securely encrypted on the client side, it's not easy to use and will never reach market adoption. It's like gopher. Sure, it's cool, but chunky to use and performs badly - the real innovations will be what comes after BitMessage.
Viscera (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:12:44 PM

I think it's easy to use... and I'm no computer geek... plus as far as I know it's the first and ONLY peer to peer messaging service... I'm not sure how to take you comments trade fortress. Do you think it's unimportant or an important step on the road to innovation?
marjamrob

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:27:12 PM

I think it's easy to use... and I'm no computer geek... plus as far as I know it's the first and ONLY peer to peer messaging service... I'm not sure how to take you comments trade fortress. Do you think it's unimportant or an important step on the road to innovation?

TorChat has been around for much longer, and it is more secure.
trilightzone.org

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 09:52:43 PM

TorChat has been around for much longer, and it is more secure.

Both aim to achieve the same goals but with some differences. Torchat as the name says relies on the Tor network and the Tor software to make it work. Bitmessage doesn't require the Tor network although you can configure it to use the Tor network too. On top of that Bitmessage has "proof of work" and "acknowlege delivery" implemented while Torchat doesn't have those specific security related features. There are more differences but in general both use end to end encryption although i'm leaning more towards Bitmessage.

Viscera (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:46:26 AM

I have to agree that I like the BitMessage system better. I like the notification of delivery and the P2P security arrangements... is TorChat also P2P?
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:21:08 AM

I have to agree that I like the BitMessage system better. I like the notification of delivery and the P2P security arrangements... is TorChat also P2P?

It uses Tor hidden services (see https://www.torproject.org/), and in my opinion, I think Tor can be seen as P2P.  I think it uses hard-coded central servers for discovery of nodes, but so does Bitcoin and probably also Bitmessage.  Don't nail me down on those statements though, I'm no expert on the low-level details of all those services.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
exapted

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:34:22 AM

Bitmessage is especially useful if it is not blocked in mainland China. Tor doesn't work there without relays.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: