Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:12:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three power supplies (PSU) onto one mining rig  (Read 552 times)
oxyde (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:32:39 PM

Hi,

I'm interested if it's possible to install 3 power supplies (PSU) on one mining rig?

I would use it for 12 1080ti GPUs, but don't know if I can link 3 PSUs? I always see linking 2 PSUs, but that's not enough here.

Thanks!

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:45:24 PM

Absolutley. I run a 13 card build on the ASRock h110 Pro BTC+ with three PSU's. I use the primary 1600 W PSU for the motherboard, all the risers and the VGA power for 3 cards. The other two are just for the VGA power on the rest of the cards. To join all three I use a triple ATX splitter cable to sync all three to come on and off together.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-Pin-20-4Pin-Triple-PSU-ATX-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-18AWG-Wire-For-Mining-L059/32830227023.html?

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 08:40:12 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 09:13:20 PM by Undefined31415

Hi,

I'm interested if it's possible to install 3 power supplies (PSU) on one mining rig?

I would use it for 12 1080ti GPUs, but don't know if I can link 3 PSUs? I always see linking 2 PSUs, but that's not enough here.

Thanks!

You don't even need special adapters. You can just use paper clips to short the green pin to a ground on the 20/24 pin connector (now that most PSUs have solid-color wires, you'd want to look at a pinout diagram), and ensure that the secondary PSUs are powered on first.

(The primary PSU is the one handling the connections to the motherboard, such as the 20/24 pin main power connector, and the 4/8 pin CPU power.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
oxyde (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:34:23 PM

Hi,

I finally received the cable for 3-to-1 connection from Aliexpress as suggested, thanks!

But I have question about note which was written here - first power up secondary PSUs, and then primary. You were talking just about switching them on first, 2x secondary PSU, and then the primary PSU and them turn on the MB (if it's not on automatic start-up setting in BIOS)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:43:50 PM

Hi,

I finally received the cable for 3-to-1 connection from Aliexpress as suggested, thanks!

But I have question about note which was written here - first power up secondary PSUs, and then primary. You were talking just about switching them on first, 2x secondary PSU, and then the primary PSU and them turn on the MB (if it's not on automatic start-up setting in BIOS)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan

Hers the thing. You bought the adapter from Aliexpress so you dont have to care about manually booting up psus in whatever order....

Just hook it up the right way PSU 1 you hook up to the main line on the adapter , then main line into the motherboard aswell as CPU cable from PSU 1  to the motherboard , easiest way to say everything from psu 1 to the motherboard that needs to be on the motherboard.     and the 24 pins with just 2 thin cables to the secondary psus .

Secondary psus just for risers and gpus. Only thing you will need from the second and third psus are the PCIE cables.

When you have set everything up just set all  Power supplys to  ON, and its done.
oxyde (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:20:27 PM

OK, thanks, great!
Batelk

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:40:35 PM

It doesn't run too hot with your rig like that using the 3 psu's right next to eachother??

If they are good quality PSU like gold or higher, it will not be too hot.

ZenCash Conducting Private Transactions Worldwide Completely
Discord -------- ANN Thread -------- Blog -------- Telegram  --------  Forum -------- Twitter
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:44:05 PM

yep you can even get this. to link your 3 power supplies together.  Add2psu works perfectly. 

add2psu

https://www.amazon.com/Add2PSU-Multiple-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B074GQYK1D/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516650206&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=add2psu&psc=1

danoo26

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:23:29 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan

Hers the thing. You bought the adapter from Aliexpress so you dont have to care about manually booting up psus in whatever order....

Just hook it up the right way PSU 1 you hook up to the main line on the adapter , then main line into the motherboard aswell as CPU cable from PSU 1  to the motherboard , easiest way to say everything from psu 1 to the motherboard that needs to be on the motherboard.     and the 24 pins with just 2 thin cables to the secondary psus .

Secondary psus just for risers and gpus. Only thing you will need from the second and third psus are the PCIE cables.

When you have set everything up just set all  Power supplys to  ON, and its done.

Hi,

I tried your solutions but still have the same prob. Have you an other solution ?
I have 3 psu : 850, 850 and 1000
With 13 RX570.

Thanks
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:52:57 PM

add2psu units or paper clip method will both work fine to power more than single psu. On my setup I have two PSUs and I'm planning to expand to third one soon.
danoo26

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:40:57 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2018, 10:30:08 PM by danoo26

add2psu units or paper clip method will both work fine to power more than single psu. On my setup I have two PSUs and I'm planning to expand to third one soon.

I bought the triple ATX splitter cable for 3 psu but I always have the same problem, if I switch ON each PSU and then switch ON the power strip, I have 4 GPU which don't turn ON...

I am forced to switch on manually the PSU which powers the MB at the end.
I don't understand how the main PSU can switch ON at the end with this method.

Can you shed some light on that ?  Huh

thx

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:09:37 AM

I tried your solutions but still have the same prob. Have you an other solution ?
With 13 RX570....

I also use 3 PSU on my R9 Rig (Power Hungry Rig), second and third using jumpstart (paperclip). use this scheme, use the same source PSU to powering cards and riser. Make sure second and third PSU has been turn on before primary PSU (that connected to mobo).
Sometimes we need 5V dummy load to make sure that PSU produce the right 12V.
danoo26

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 06:19:31 PM

I also use 3 PSU on my R9 Rig (Power Hungry Rig), second and third using jumpstart (paperclip). use this scheme, use the same source PSU to powering cards and riser. Make sure second and third PSU has been turn on before primary PSU (that connected to mobo).
Sometimes we need 5V dummy load to make sure that PSU produce the right 12V.

I use the same source for powering cards and riser, in fact I try to turn ON by remote control (SP3s Broadlink) the 3 psu...

Is it your case ? or you turn ON manually each PSU ?
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 06:38:19 PM

This just hurts my brain when I see people paying $400+ each for multiple  ATX power supplies for a single rig when two $50 dollar server PSUs does the same job better. You guys are never going to ROI.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:00:25 PM

This just hurts my brain when I see people paying $400+ each for multiple  ATX power supplies for a single rig when two $50 dollar server PSUs does the same job better. You guys are never going to ROI.

In most countries is very difficult to buy server psus at good prices and most cases you dont find the cheap ones. Just so you to understand, a g3 850w is around $180, a sever psu 2400w is around $700, now if you are in  the US or Europe then yes people are silly to buy anything other than server psus.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:15:56 PM

I use the same source for powering cards and riser, in fact I try to turn ON by remote control (SP3s Broadlink) the 3 psu...
Is it your case ? or you turn ON manually each PSU ?

Yep, I turn it on manually. My second and third PSU always turn on except when I'm doing troubleshoot. Jump-start technic was working well for me, and it's free. If you can reach your rig physically, jump-start would save your cost.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:40:37 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan

Just hook it up the right way PSU 1 you hook up to the main line on the adapter , then main line into the motherboard aswell as CPU cable from PSU 1  to the motherboard , easiest way to say everything from psu 1 to the motherboard that needs to be on the motherboard.     and the 24 pins with just 2 thin cables to the secondary psus .

When you have set everything up just set all  Power supplys to  ON, and its done.

Hi,

With 13 RX570.

Thanks
Use the 1000w as your main before the lower watt PSU is your second and 3rd PSU.

Since you are using 24 pins 20+4 triple PSU cable you must start first to test it in dual PSU then add the 3rd PSU.

If in dual PSU not work maybe it's a cable problem.

Just adding this diagram maybe it can help.

This just hurts my brain when I see people paying $400+ each for multiple  ATX power supplies for a single rig when two $50 dollar server PSUs does the same job better. You guys are never going to ROI.

In most countries is very difficult to buy server psus at good prices and most cases you dont find the cheap ones. Just so you to understand, a g3 850w is around $180, a sever psu 2400w is around $700, now if you are in  the US or Europe then yes people are silly to buy anything other than server psus.

The other reason why I don't use server PSU because it's too noisy than buying ATX PSU's it's really quiet. But here in my country server PSU is really cheap compared to ATX PSU. However, even they are cheap I still choose ATX PSU, because I am mining at my room
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: