Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:49:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: account banned - sorry for another one of these posts  (Read 233 times)
500thtimesthecharm (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 09:01:11 PM

I did not break any rules.  I have emailed the address provided several times.  All my messages were deleted, my status downgraded, and I cannot post. 

I did not spam, I did not copy/paste, I did not use a proxy or anything.  I would really like my account back, and I want to know why this happened. 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1108202

Any help would be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
500thtimesthecharm (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:01:27 AM

OK, I've done more reading on other people's posts and I see that I may have been banned for participating in airdrop threads?  But, if this is the case why are hundreds of other people in those same threads not banned?  All my messages were deleted, so if the same thing was being done to everyone none of the threads I posted in should have any comments at all.  And also why are the thread creators not banned if posting in these threads is not allowed? 

This is very confusing to me, as airdrops seem to be a great way to distribute an altcoin fairly, and the initial ann is not deleted from the forum, but forum members are punished for participating?

Looking for further clarification on this rule.
vergel24official

Activity: 154
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:51:42 PM

My first acount here are banned it is my first time to have an account but, I log in my account I think more than five times because I forgot my password I don't know why my account is banned I guess in my lot incorrect input of password.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:55:28 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2017, 10:09:58 PM by Welsh

OK, I've done more reading on other people's posts and I see that I may have been banned for participating in airdrop threads?  But, if this is the case why are hundreds of other people in those same threads not banned?  All my messages were deleted, so if the same thing was being done to everyone none of the threads I posted in should have any comments at all.  And also why are the thread creators not banned if posting in these threads is not allowed?  

This is very confusing to me, as airdrops seem to be a great way to distribute an altcoin fairly, and the initial ann is not deleted from the forum, but forum members are punished for participating?

There's hundreds/thousands/∞ accounts which are posting the exact same messages, and it's difficult for the moderators to catch them all. I assure you they are being dealt with. Take a look at the modlog: https://bitcointalk.org/modlog.php
A lot of them are deleted, but if the user is caught spamming multiple times, then they will be banned. Especially the accounts which are spamming "Joined" etc. [1]

Those are the accounts which are spamming the types of messages you did, and they are being dealt with. The ANN thread will be deleted if they are offering an incentive to the user to reply/spam their thread and the member who created it will be banned. [2]

In your particular case, you obviously spammed multiple times. For a definite answer, you'll have to wait for a staff member to respond, but It's very unlikely you'll be unbanned.

[1]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2284373.0
[2]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2559282.0
otrkid70

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:11:33 AM

I did not break any rules.  I have emailed the address provided several times.  All my messages were deleted, my status downgraded, and I cannot post. 

I did not spam, I did not copy/paste, I did not use a proxy or anything.  I would really like my account back, and I want to know why this happened. 

You BROKE the rules and you got NUKED! Stop crying about it you won't get your account back. You should have read the rules.

Does this info. Help? as you Requested.
500thtimesthecharm (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:58:09 PM

You BROKE the rules and you got NUKED! Stop crying about it you won't get your account back. You should have read the rules.

Does this info. Help? as you Requested.

Umm, no it doesn't.  I did read the rules.  Nowhere does it say that replying to airdrops is against the rules.  None of my responses to any airdrop thread was less than a full sentence.  They may not have been the most thought provoking sentences, but they were very often longer and more "interesting" than some of the other replies I have seen throughout this board. 

Here are the examples for rule number 1 (no pointless posts):

1. Such posts like "SELL SELL SELL", "I agree", "+1", "Support", "Watching", "Interesting", "LOL", "SCAM", "LEGIT", "FAKE", other one word posts, posts consisting mostly of swearing, quote pyramids,useless introduction threads, threads about a topic already recently discussed in several other threads.

None of my posts were close to as pointless as the above examples.

It seems very draconian to outright ban a person who is new to posting on a forum for an extremely subjective rule (no pointless, boring etc. posts).  Why is a warning or a temporary ban not sufficient to get the point across?

I am sure staff members are very busy, but I would like their perspective if one has the time.
500thtimesthecharm (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

OK, I've done more reading on other people's posts and I see that I may have been banned for participating in airdrop threads?  But, if this is the case why are hundreds of other people in those same threads not banned?  All my messages were deleted, so if the same thing was being done to everyone none of the threads I posted in should have any comments at all.  And also why are the thread creators not banned if posting in these threads is not allowed?  

There's hundreds/thousands/∞ accounts which are posting the exact same messages, and it's difficult for the moderators to catch them all. I assure you they are being dealt with. Take a look at the modlog: https://bitcointalk.org/modlog.php
A lot of them are deleted, but if the user is caught spamming multiple times, then they will be banned. Especially the accounts which are spamming "Joined" etc. [1]

Those are the accounts which are spamming the types of messages you did, and they are being dealt with. The ANN thread will be deleted if they are offering an incentive to the user to reply/spam their thread and the member who created it will be banned. [2]

In your particular case, you obviously spammed multiple times. For a definite answer, you'll have to wait for a staff member to respond, but It's very unlikely you'll be unbanned.

[1]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2284373.0
[2]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2559282.0

So, the first link:

"Anyone posting info from their bounty application (usernames, addresses, etc.) or anything alongside the lines of "joined X", "looking forward to getting X", "thanks for the opportunity", "filled out form", "signed up for X", "applied", "following / liked / retweeted X" when such data is not required or the requirement is against the forum's rules risk having their account banned. These are extremely low quality posts generate massive amounts of spam, drowning out any legitimate discussion these threads may posses."

It says when data is not required, many airdrop anns request you post in the thread, thereby it is required it seems.  This rule is not clear.  Furthermore, none of my responses were similar to the examples.  If a response was required I generally said something specific about the project, and sometimes asked a question.  Maybe a couple times I was more generic but geez I only had like 15 posts.

Second link:

"Quote from: theymos on January 27, 2014, 06:11:50 AM
You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread, but you can't give people any bonus for replying to your thread."

This was pinned to the top of the ann board on Dec. 10, I was banned on December 8.  On top of that, the thread it is linked from came from the Alt Discussion board.  So even if I had read it before it was pinned, how would I know a rule that was posted in a different board applied to the ANN board?  The ANN board is filled with airdrops, I thought that was where they were supposed to be.  If the airdrop was not allowed I assumed it would be deleted.  Many of my posts were on threads that were days old, not freshly created.  If they were against the rules why were they still there and not deleted or locked?

I am taking a lot of time over this because I think this is site is a great resource, and even though I joined a few months ago, I only really began using it recently.  But, the rules are pretty confusing, and the bans seem to be quite unfair when as I said in a previous response a warning or temporary ban/suspension would seem to suffice, especially for newer users.  I also think the rules could be made much clearer.

500thtimesthecharm (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:22:29 AM

Well I guess that's it.  Pretty crappy way to treat someone who did indeed read the rules, believed they were operating within them, and quoted examples from said rules that showed they were not broken as they are currently written.

My time with bitcointalk is at it's end, but jeesh, if you are going to be so hardcore with these rules perhaps they should be clearer, and enforced at a level that is equal to the infraction.  I had a grand total of 15 messages on my account, spread out over two weeks or so, and I get the same punishment as someone who creates multiple accounts to actually spam hundreds of times a day.

Can't wait for the message board flippening, at some point you will be beat out by a website that is better organized and operated in a more straightforward manner than this mess.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: