Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:36:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [FLX] Flexcoin Development Thread  (Read 2263 times)
neuromancer56 (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:05:14 PM

This is a thread dedicated to discussing Flexcoin development ideas and planning.

The main Flexcoin thread is here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=260234.msg2776110#msg2776110

If you are interested in helping.  Please post here and let the team know what you'd like to start working on.   One of the main things is developing the Vault, and also Denominated Addresses.

For developing the Vault, we need someone to identify the code in another coin that does Public Address/Private key generation. 

It has been suggested that we also look into Novacoin for energy efficiency because it does both POW and POS.  I like the idea.  I also like perhaps looking into PPCoin for its energy efficiency.   I do like the idea of POS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neuromancer56 (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:29:19 AM

Flexcoin is absolutely going to need a mobile app for it's wallet.    I searched on google play and only found mobile wallets for Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Feathercoin.   Since I think it would be a lot of work to create a mobile wallet from scratch, that might suggest that we want to branch Litecoin instead of some other coin.   I don't know all the difficulties of taking one of these wallets and porting them to some other coin like Novacoin, PPcoin or Primecoin,  but I'm guessing it's not trivial.    I do know that Andreas Schildbach's popular Bitcoin wallet is based on bitcoinj (A Java implementation of a Bitcoin client-only node) https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/   So that could mean in order to create a Primecoin or other non-litecoin based wallet, a port of the client to java is necessary, as that is the native android language.   Another question would be do we want to go cross platform, but if so, a lot of these crossplatform alternatives (like PhoneGap) are potentially less secure because they are not compiled.  I'm not sure if it makes sense to try to do c++ on android and iOS.    I know a little about android development, and nothing about iOS development.
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:38:19 AM

Flexcoin is absolutely going to need a mobile app for it's wallet.    I searched on google play and only found mobile wallets for Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Feathercoin.   Since I think it would be a lot of work to create a mobile wallet from scratch, that might suggest that we want to branch Litecoin instead of some other coin.   I'm don't know all the difficulties of taking one of these wallets and porting them to some other coin like Novacoin, PPcoin or Primecoin,  but I'm guessing it's not trivial.    I do know that Andreas Schildbach's popular Bitcoin wallet is based on bitcoinj (A Java implementation of a Bitcoin client-only node) https://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/   So that could mean in order to create a Primecoin or other non-litecoin based wallet, a port of the client to java is necessary, as that is the native android language.   Another question would be do we want to go cross platform, but if so, a lot of these crossplatform alternatives (like PhoneGap) are potentially less secure because they are not compiled.  I'm not sure if it makes sense to try to do c++ on android and iOS.    I know a little about android development, and nothing about iOS development.

Since most of these coins use the same JSON-RPC interface, it shouldn't be a deciding factor in which coin to clone. It's no more complicated to communicate with a satoshi-type wallet than any other web-service or API.

It's what you have to do with the data that's harder.

Contrary to you, I know nothing about android or iOS dev. But it would be crazy to program any core functionalty of your app into client-side code.

Look to a web wallet with that does feed data (API) to your android app and you can handle the money in a more secure layer of the stack. That way if anyone tries to clone the phone app and do some funky stuff it should just trigger errors at the server side. And you get the added benefit of being able to code your mobile apps in whatever language is handy.
neuromancer56 (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:01:37 AM

I'd guess that is what blockchain.info is doing, since they have both a web wallet and a mobile one.   However since a mobile wallet is a core feature of Flexcoin, I'd be afraid of a centralized solution where a website/web service controls the core logic.  This website would be a prime target for being hacked, hit with a DDOS attack, or possibly shut down by some regulatory agency.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: