Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:00:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Corrupted blkindex.dat  (Read 1553 times)
MilagrosMarriner (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 11:58:01 PM

When my Windows is turned off by a power loss, my blkindex.dat gets corrupted, I have to delete it (otherwise the client won't start) and wait hours to regenerate it.

Is there a faster solution?

Where can I post a feature request for the Bitcoin developers to handle this problem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:51:19 AM

Trust me, they're working on it. No need to bother them with that.

It is not their problem, anyways.

Like you said, your power shut off.

There are many programs who can be severely affected by an instant power shut off. The windows operating system itself being one of them. And that is a multi-billion-dollar software engineering project. So don't get your hopes up for bitcoin any time soon.

Simply delete the block chain, re-download it, and invest $100 in a UPS (Un-interruptable Power Supply) so you have time to shut off your computer the next time your power goes out.

You shouldn't really be running the bitcoin client 24/7 open on a machine anyways. What happens when somebody decides to use your computer for a minute? They could transfer all of your funds away in a second.
MilagrosMarriner (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 10:20:19 AM

Trust me, they're working on it.

Not very helpful. Can you provide a link to the feature request so I can upvote it?
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 06:07:14 PM

You could try downloading the blockchain here, and every time you need to delete the blockchain, simply copy those files over:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/
I know it says not to use it with an existing wallet, but I think you should be fine if you run the client with -rescan (I can't make any guarantees, though). Should save some time.

Edit: You can view/submit feature requests here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
MilagrosMarriner (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:57:16 AM

You could try downloading the blockchain here, and every time you need to delete the blockchain, simply copy those files over:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/
I know it says not to use it with an existing wallet, but I think you should be fine if you run the client with -rescan (I can't make any guarantees, though). Should save some time.

Edit: You can view/submit feature requests here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

Very helpful! Thanks!
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:07:30 AM

invest $100 in a UPS (Un-interruptable Power Supply)

i'm the kind of person who always has a thousand windows open and a thousand tabs in each window... my recent ups purchase has been one of the best investments ever and has saved me at least once since i got it a few weeks ago. lightning storms are no longer much of an issue.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:29:42 AM

My blockchain corrupted some weeks ago too. Had to redownload it all

And no, i didn't power off the computer with the bitcoin client open

And no, Windows doesn't really suffer from a power loss... (at least, since XP)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: