Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up Network when Mining with 20+ Devices  (Read 392 times)
Zizoo244 (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:49:01 AM

Hi guys, just 1 quick question.

If i want to assign for each Antminer S9 a Static IP like for example 192.168.0.101 for Antminer Nr.1 and so on, can i just connect them on 1 single Network and then get them online with 1 single modem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:46:53 PM

Yes as long as you have a router that can run the network for you. It acts as the gateway and all of the miners connect through it.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Zizoo244 (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:37:33 PM

So just 1 20+ Port HUB, getting the WAN Connection from the Router and the Router is connected to the Internet via Cable, 4G or Fiber?
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:00:34 AM

Most routers will except whatever manual IP address you assign to each miner or you can enable each miner to use DHCP then inside the router assign the static IP address based on the miner's MAC address. Either way will allow you to know exactly what IP address is going to what machine.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
eleceng1979

Activity: 44
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:44:16 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 12:58:34 AM by eleceng1979

You need...

1.  24 Port SWITCH (don't buy a hub) from eBay for less than $50.  Any base 100 is more than enough.  Gigabit is stupid unless you plan on using this switch/connection for video streaming/file transfers.  I am partial to netgear prosafe gear.  Like this...  this is the bottom of the barrel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-JFS524-24-PORT-10-100-MBPS-FAST-ETHERNET-SWITCH-RACK-MOUNT/272985695841?hash=item3f8f372661:g:RzgAAOSwfVhaNYz8

2. Buy pre made cables unless you have made your own prior.  Avoid the headaches and rookie mistakes if you don't have the tools and testers/know how.

3. Use any router your comfortable with that IS STABLE!  Personally I would buy a ddwrt/openwrt compatible unit, dump the oem junk firmware and put an open source setup on it...but this is a bit advanced.  Main point here is stability due to a single point failure taking down the setup.  You invested some serious coin in miners, the network must be robust to avoid issues.  I would either buy a new residential grade unit or a good used business unit.  I would steer clear of used cheap residential units from ebay.

4.  Set router to DHCP (automatic address), set router IP to 192.168.0.1.  Set DHCP range to 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 (or whatever max you wish).  Number miner 1 as 192.168.0.101 (so you know ip 101 = miner 1, 102 = 2 and so on.  I prefer to use the highest ip for the pc, then smash the ip range down so no spares are left.

5. Set all miner ip's manually prior to connecting via a laptop/desktop or only plugging one in at a time after step 6 (you can do it after all plugged in but not sure if miner default ip is inside the router's range, prior to plugging in is foolproof but tedious)

6.  Plug it all in to your internet modem or whatever, turn on router & switch... and behold the magic

This is BS...
Most routers will except whatever manual IP address you assign to each miner  WRONG! If miner ip is outside router range...not possible.  All residential routers default to the smallest subnet mask, requiring the first 3 sections of the ip address to be exact.  If you plug in a virgin, default miner that is outside the range your screwed.  If you don't know the miner default address it is more work.  If all miners are virgin, default plug only one in at a time as all default to the same address.  20 virgins being turned on at the same time will result in ip collisions and failure or a really good time if your mind is in the gutter.

This works but will be no fun...
you can enable each miner to use DHCP then inside the router assign the static IP address based on the miner's MAC address. Either way will allow you to know exactly what IP address is going to what machine.  Routers using DHCP can make address reservations, not assign static addresses to hardware.  This method is not foolproof, requires all miner MAC to be documented/figured out after the fact, and is not permenant.  Imagine a pile of spaghetti and seperating it out to individual strands.  If the router firmware updates, the DHCP table is corrupted, etc... your setup is toast.  FYI... some routers do auto updates and wipe these settings without end users knowledge... and you be like WTF happened?

Closing thoughts...
Dedicated hardware requires dedicated power and network IP's to effectively manage it.  Set static IP's if you want to keep it straight.  Use DHCP if you don't care.  Both work but one is easier to service.  Make an excel document or download an ip template from the web to keep track of it.  Goto a hardware store and get labels/#'s for your cables... life is much easier when this is done.  Also properly color coded wires is a plus...yes there are codes, follow them.  I know without a shadow of a doubt where every cable goes (due to #) and purpose (due to color) in my setup by looking at only the switch.

If you are USA based and want field service I charge fair rates and can send my T&C's across.  Any pro should be able to take 20 miners from cardboard boxes to the network setup in less than 3 hours providing your power, cables, etc... are all done, long enough and ready.  If you had your pool, credentials, etc.. ready they would be ready for individual baseline testing in no time.

If you have questions I give 3 for free, PM me.
big al

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:16:00 AM

Good topic not enough of this.

I've played around a lot with DDWRT and would never run a router without it.  That being said it isn't for noobs. The absolute best setup is a manually configured firewall that only allows the miners to communicate to whatever pool you have assigned. Bitmain is rumored to have a backdoor and I wouldn't want anyone else being able to get in there.

You can even take this further by having only local access to the miners only through a vpn. That way the miner network is completely separate from any computers or printers attached to the LAN.  Then you can log in to your miner LAN from anywhere.

But we are getting a wee bit advanced.
Zizoo244 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:53:56 AM

You need...

1.  24 Port SWITCH (don't buy a hub) from eBay for less than $50.  Any base 100 is more than enough.  Gigabit is stupid unless you plan on using this switch/connection for video streaming/file transfers.  I am partial to netgear prosafe gear.  Like this...  this is the bottom of the barrel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-JFS524-24-PORT-10-100-MBPS-FAST-ETHERNET-SWITCH-RACK-MOUNT/272985695841?hash=item3f8f372661:g:RzgAAOSwfVhaNYz8

2. Buy pre made cables unless you have made your own prior.  Avoid the headaches and rookie mistakes if you don't have the tools and testers/know how.

3. Use any router your comfortable with that IS STABLE!  Personally I would buy a ddwrt/openwrt compatible unit, dump the oem junk firmware and put an open source setup on it...but this is a bit advanced.  Main point here is stability due to a single point failure taking down the setup.  You invested some serious coin in miners, the network must be robust to avoid issues.  I would either buy a new residential grade unit or a good used business unit.  I would steer clear of used cheap residential units from ebay.

4.  Set router to DHCP (automatic address), set router IP to 192.168.0.1.  Set DHCP range to 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 (or whatever max you wish).  Number miner 1 as 192.168.0.101 (so you know ip 101 = miner 1, 102 = 2 and so on.  I prefer to use the highest ip for the pc, then smash the ip range down so no spares are left.

5. Set all miner ip's manually prior to connecting via a laptop/desktop or only plugging one in at a time after step 6 (you can do it after all plugged in but not sure if miner default ip is inside the router's range, prior to plugging in is foolproof but tedious)

6.  Plug it all in to your internet modem or whatever, turn on router & switch... and behold the magic

This is BS...
Most routers will except whatever manual IP address you assign to each miner  WRONG! If miner ip is outside router range...not possible.  All residential routers default to the smallest subnet mask, requiring the first 3 sections of the ip address to be exact.  If you plug in a virgin, default miner that is outside the range your screwed.  If you don't know the miner default address it is more work.  If all miners are virgin, default plug only one in at a time as all default to the same address.  20 virgins being turned on at the same time will result in ip collisions and failure or a really good time if your mind is in the gutter.

This works but will be no fun...
you can enable each miner to use DHCP then inside the router assign the static IP address based on the miner's MAC address. Either way will allow you to know exactly what IP address is going to what machine.  Routers using DHCP can make address reservations, not assign static addresses to hardware.  This method is not foolproof, requires all miner MAC to be documented/figured out after the fact, and is not permenant.  Imagine a pile of spaghetti and seperating it out to individual strands.  If the router firmware updates, the DHCP table is corrupted, etc... your setup is toast.  FYI... some routers do auto updates and wipe these settings without end users knowledge... and you be like WTF happened?

Closing thoughts...
Dedicated hardware requires dedicated power and network IP's to effectively manage it.  Set static IP's if you want to keep it straight.  Use DHCP if you don't care.  Both work but one is easier to service.  Make an excel document or download an ip template from the web to keep track of it.  Goto a hardware store and get labels/#'s for your cables... life is much easier when this is done.  Also properly color coded wires is a plus...yes there are codes, follow them.  I know without a shadow of a doubt where every cable goes (due to #) and purpose (due to color) in my setup by looking at only the switch.

If you are USA based and want field service I charge fair rates and can send my T&C's across.  Any pro should be able to take 20 miners from cardboard boxes to the network setup in less than 3 hours providing your power, cables, etc... are all done, long enough and ready.  If you had your pool, credentials, etc.. ready they would be ready for individual baseline testing in no time.

If you have questions I give 3 for free, PM me.

amazing work, thank you very much.
Zizoo244 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:00:30 AM

I live in Lebanon, the house i live in is 25 years old and was built in a Village by my Father what now is a big city. We where the first House to get Electricity and Water Installation so we run the Main Lines, what means Free Water and Electricity. (I pay like 50$ a month open KwH and Water). I am waiting for the next S9 batch to come online so i can buy my first 20 Miners and start mining. Im gathering Information for like 3 Months about everything and hope my research and work will be worth Cheesy
eleceng1979

Activity: 44
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:18:44 AM

Good topic not enough of this.

I've played around a lot with DDWRT and would never run a router without it.  That being said it isn't for noobs. The absolute best setup is a manually configured firewall that only allows the miners to communicate to whatever pool you have assigned. Bitmain is rumored to have a backdoor and I wouldn't want anyone else being able to get in there.

You can even take this further by having only local access to the miners only through a vpn. That way the miner network is completely separate from any computers or printers attached to the LAN.  Then you can log in to your miner LAN from anywhere.

But we are getting a wee bit advanced.

There are confirmed bitmain and and ebit/ebang backdoors in their firmwares.  People on this forum have seen and confirmed these facts.  IMHO... I would leave NOTHING to chance on the firewall protections and deploy a full blown simulated port probe to ensure safety.  I also sure as hell would stay away from bitmain's pool and block every port possible.  Miners are just a bunch of hardware that can easily have their poorly written firmwares updated remotely to burn them to the ground or simply just be shutoff.  Foreign countries and the good ole USA hack each other's infrastructure which uses sophisticated hardware e.g. nuclear power plants, airports, etc...  A person has easily gained access to these miner's firmwares in an evening with beer involved and saw the BS remote shutdown code to highlight how easy it was, it surely isnt hard or complex like a power plant...  Bitmain has significant power and influence and I woudnt underestimate them or any other miner oem for the record.

We are talking about more advaced, off topic issues...but it is worth mentioning.

To the OP.  Use Google & youtube.  Search for static IP home network.  Understand the concept, then Google DHCP ranges, etc...  Eat the elephant one bite at a time via such tools/searches.  Understand the building blocks of every aspect of your problem and learn/manage it this way.  Garbage in = garbage out.  Start with good hardware (used is just fine) and quality cabling.  It isn't hard, it just seems overwelming at first.
Zizoo244 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:25:54 AM

I understand, i will have a Friend helping me with Connecting everything he studied Network and System Administration, i could also connect my Network to a Local VPN which is at the same moment a ISP, they are forced from the Goverment to have High Security and Data Encryption about their Users and Data flow.

One other point, i can get a 4G+ Router with 100GB Data Volume for 80$ a Month or a simple 4MB unlimited Cable connection. Do the miners need fast internet or do they have a high data consumption?
big al

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:53:23 AM

If you're going to do a VPN make sure the LAN ip pool is very far from standard or you may run into ip address conflicts.

Personally I would do a firewall rule (iptables) that discards everything to and from the miners and logs it. Except for the ip address of the pool.

Bandwidth isn't that much at all. Make sure your wiring is up to snuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: