Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 11:57:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating profit for mining with multi-coins pools???  (Read 124 times)
Severos (OP)

Activity: 268
Merit: 119

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:24:58 AM

I'm trying to figure out the math to get estimations on which is more profitable, buying GPU and mine alt-coins with multi coin pools? or buying Antminer S9 and mining BTC.
I've did some math for the BTC part, but I'm struggling on finding a formula to calculate GPU mining earnings.
Anyone knows how to get rough estimations for it??
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:27:03 AM

Rought real world est - Use WTM subtract roughly 20%
Severos (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:41:14 AM

Rought real world est - Use WTM subtract roughly 20%

noob question... what's WTM ??
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 07:42:46 AM

I'm trying to figure out the math to get estimations on which is more profitable, buying GPU and mine alt-coins with multi coin pools? or buying Antminer S9 and mining BTC.
I've did some math for the BTC part, but I'm struggling on finding a formula to calculate GPU mining earnings.

Profit-switching techniques often use lead to mining coins that are too volatile for justifiable estimates to be made, even after fudge factoring some percentage off.

I would suggest calculating your GPU estimate with something *relatively* stable, such as ZEC or ETH (depending on your GPU selections), then if your BTC ASIC estimate still comes out as possibly more profitable, then come back. (If anything, profit-switching should be slightly more profitable than the projection provided by ZEC/ETH, so if the S9 can't beat that, the GPUs may be a better bet.)

I assume you've also considered other aspects of the GPU vs. ASIC debate (resale value, availability, maintenance, etc.), so I won't get into the details of that here.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Severos (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:03:03 AM

Profit-switching techniques often use lead to mining coins that are too volatile for justifiable estimates to be made, even after fudge factoring some percentage off.

I would suggest calculating your GPU estimate with something *relatively* stable, such as ZEC or ETH (depending on your GPU selections), then if your BTC ASIC estimate still comes out as possibly more profitable, then come back. (If anything, profit-switching should be slightly more profitable than the projection provided by ZEC/ETH, so if the S9 can't beat that, the GPUs may be a better bet.)

I assume you've also considered other aspects of the GPU vs. ASIC debate (resale value, availability, maintenance, etc.), so I won't get into the details of that here.

I've actually considered resale and availability, but what about maintenance?? will I need to replace GPUs or something?? or just cleaning and cooling?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 08:09:38 AM

I've actually considered resale and availability, but what about maintenance?? will I need to replace GPUs or something?? or just cleaning and cooling?

If you buy an S9 and end up needing repairs, you're going to have a hard time. With graphics cards, especially for those purchased new, you can appeal to a retailer or the company for warranty services, and companies such as MSI, ASUS, etc. are more likely to have facilities in your country. (Domestic shipping sure beats international.) Although big tech companies don't always have a good reputation as far as customer service goes, they are far ahead of Bitmain and other mining ASIC companies.

I am not certain about ASIC failure rates, but I highly doubt they are any lower than that of graphics cards.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Severos (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:41:44 AM

If you buy an S9 and end up needing repairs, you're going to have a hard time. With graphics cards, especially for those purchased new, you can appeal to a retailer or the company for warranty services, and companies such as MSI, ASUS, etc. are more likely to have facilities in your country. (Domestic shipping sure beats international.) Although big tech companies don't always have a good reputation as far as customer service goes, they are far ahead of Bitmain and other mining ASIC companies.

I am not certain about ASIC failure rates, but I highly doubt they are any lower than that of graphics cards.

I wouldn't really worry about warranty services here, they don't even offer them =,="  But thanks for the note.
Do you have other notes before deciding to start mining??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: