Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:09:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin for military overseas in Japan?  (Read 100 times)
aetherealis (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 11:49:39 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a U.S. citizen and I am a contractor working for an American entity on a military installation in Japan. I'm trying to get started with investing in Bitcoin but am having trouble getting started. So far, I have tried Coinbase. For the past few weeks, I've tried over and over to verify my identity with NO success whatsoever. What happens is, I upload my ID, front and back, and then submit the selfie. It tells me that verification will take 3-5 minutes. Hours and hours later, I check back into my Coinbase account and it is as if I never submitted my verification at all. I am never given any explanation as to why my verification failed. I have gone to the Coinbase support pages and know that they are experiencing heavy traffic... So maybe there's hope? In the meantime, does anyone know where else I can buy bitcoin from a legitimate exchange similar to Coinbase?

I cannot use my driver's license since I never bothered to update my name on it. It's not expired, it's just under my maiden name. So the only valid IDs I have are my passport and military ID. I've also looked into Japan-based bitcoin exchanges like Bitflyer and Coincheck, but I have reached dead ends. For example, Coincheck requires that I submit a proof of residency which I do not possess since I am SOFA sponsored. Our apartment, bills, etc, are all under my husband who is a Japanese citizen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:23:49 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a U.S. citizen and I am a contractor working for an American entity on a military installation in Japan. I'm trying to get started with investing in Bitcoin but am having trouble getting started. So far, I have tried Coinbase. For the past few weeks, I've tried over and over to verify my identity with NO success whatsoever. What happens is, I upload my ID, front and back, and then submit the selfie. It tells me that verification will take 3-5 minutes. Hours and hours later, I check back into my Coinbase account and it is as if I never submitted my verification at all. I am never given any explanation as to why my verification failed. I have gone to the Coinbase support pages and know that they are experiencing heavy traffic... So maybe there's hope? In the meantime, does anyone know where else I can buy bitcoin from a legitimate exchange similar to Coinbase?

I cannot use my driver's license since I never bothered to update my name on it. It's not expired, it's just under my maiden name. So the only valid IDs I have are my passport and military ID. I've also looked into Japan-based bitcoin exchanges like Bitflyer and Coincheck, but I have reached dead ends. For example, Coincheck requires that I submit a proof of residency which I do not possess since I am SOFA sponsored. Our apartment, bills, etc, are all under my husband who is a Japanese citizen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Your questions are mainly dependant not on bitcoin itself but on services offered by exchanges.
If Coinbase verification don't work for you, try bitstamp, try bitfinex, try kraken, try gemini.
There is a lot to choose from, don't hesitate to try other services.
One of them should work for you Smiley
Dirkson

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:57:32 PM

You can try to exchange money to bitcoin on special sites. Find best course and do it!) DO you necessarily need account on exchange platform?
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:47:01 PM

Yeah don't be afraid to try different exchanges Coinbase may be #1 in terms of interface and accessibility by no means is #1. Also if you can't get an exchange to take you on you can for sure get a reputable member of the community to transfer you bitcoin in exchange for funds. This is obviously more risky and depending on the amount you may want to get a reputable person for escrow too good luck pal.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: