Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:52:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dichotomy Of a Bubble - Why Bitcoin Will Endure  (Read 17443 times)
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:32:31 PM

if you want to get Kurzweil to offer an opinion, ask him about the potential of the network - forget about Bitcoin:  he'll find them on the way.

it's the network that's more up his alley.  and it would - rightfully - fascinate him.

vladimir claims (probably correctly) that Bitcoin is a singularity.  he speaks of financial/economic singularities when he does.

but there are other kinds of singularity...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 04:36:53 AM

I would imagine that a singularity such as what Kurzweil describes would require a new monetary system to exponentially increase the efficiency of trade - by an order of magnitude at least. Bitcoin surely satisfies that criteria.

Hey... maybe Satoshi really was an AI and it created Bitcoin to start the singularity. Like the match in the kindling?!  Oh gosh!!  Grin
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 04:41:27 AM

Satoshi was sent from the future?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:35:01 PM

I would imagine that a singularity such as what Kurzweil describes would require a new monetary system to exponentially increase the efficiency of trade - by an order of magnitude at least. Bitcoin surely satisfies that criteria.

Hey... maybe Satoshi really was an AI and it created Bitcoin to start the singularity. Like the match in the kindling?!  Oh gosh!!  Grin

Smiley  yeah... I have often wondered...

One off NP-Hard.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:15:15 PM

Mt. Gox Bitcoin May to today (late July 2011) vs.
Nasdaq Composite 1994 to 2008

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:50:16 PM

Ray Kurzweil has some nice insights into measuring innovation and growth from a technology perspective.
Ray Kurzweil comes up with impressive-sounding ideas about the future that turn out to be wildly optimistic.

The top super-computer in 2010 is about 500x as powerful as the top one in 2000, if not more. Get in touch with reality.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 09:25:04 PM

Thread update. End of the month! As of August 31st, 2011 last quote is 8.345 on Mt. Gox @ 5:24pm EST

This is greater than 5.00, of course, and barring any 'discontinuous' events, should remain so.

Conclusion: Not a bubble folks, keep your eyes on the ticker for new developments.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 10:27:49 PM

Ray Kurzweil has some nice insights into measuring innovation and growth from a technology perspective.

Yeah how do we get HIM to check out this Bitcoin thing?!  Hopefully he'd see how it will bring about the singularity faster, be making all commerce more efficient. Rumor is he takes like a billion vitamins a day so he has a chance of living until the singularity, but he'd be better served by advocating true free market money.

http://www.singularitysummit.com/

October 15-16, 2011 New York

The Singularity Summit 2011 will be a TED-style two-day event at the historic 92nd Street Y in New York City. The confirmed speakers include futurist Ray Kurzweil, neuroscientist Christof Koch, PayPal founder Peter Thiel, MIT cosmologist Max Tegmark, AI researcher Eliezer Yudkowsky, MIT polymath Alexander Wissner-Gross, DARPA challenge winner Riley Crane, Skype founder Jaan Tallinn, Jeopardy! champion Ken Jennings, economist Tyler Cowen, television personalities Jason Silva and Casey Pieretti, and robotics professors James McLurnkin and Robin Murphy.

I'm quite confident someone from this forum will be there, networking and chatting about Bitcoin.
netrin

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:54:41 AM

Conclusion: Not a bubble folks, keep your eyes on the ticker for new developments.

"Not a bubble now" or "wasn't a bubble in June"? Because Nasdaq 1997 to present looks suspiciously like bitcoin late May to present. Nasdaq may endure just as bitcoin may endure.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 11:42:56 PM

"Not a bubble now" or "wasn't a bubble in June"? Because Nasdaq 1997 to present looks suspiciously like bitcoin late May to present. Nasdaq may endure just as bitcoin may endure.

Fair enough, I'm not in the same league as chodpaba when it comes to making models for forecasts. All I really wanted to prove was based on prior bubbles, bitcoin doesn't behave like one. Now of course, this is the grand experiment and we don't know precisely where it will go - but my confidence is with bitcoin enduring.

The article was written to counter some of the fantastic claims from the run-up to $20 and beyond. A good number of forum participants thought it meant the destruction of bitcoin to come down from those heights. I wanted to prove them wrong, and I believe I have.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 05:21:11 PM

i agree. 2 mo of a ramp does not a bubble make.  while the falloff has been dramatic, it appears to be stabilizing around this 8-10 range.  i keep accumulating on the way down.  just give it time.  they can't stop it.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:00:02 AM

i agree. 2 mo of a ramp does not a bubble make.  while the falloff has been dramatic, it appears to be stabilizing around this 8-10 range.  i keep accumulating on the way down.  just give it time.  they can't stop it.

Lol. Yeah, first it stabilized around 18, then around 15, then around 13, then around 10 and now you say it stabilizes around 8. Which will only last a week or two maybe. But that is good news, because then it will stabilize again at 5, and you can "accumulate" more! And again at 3, at 2, at 1, at 0.5, at 0.01...
Keep accumulating! People like you give the early adopters more time to cash out at as much profit as they can Cheesy Cheesy

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
caston

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 07:05:16 AM

It's moving back to parity. Get your lines of credit ready gentlemen.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:36:56 AM

Yeah how do we get HIM to check out this Bitcoin thing?!  Hopefully he'd see how it will bring about the singularity faster, be making all commerce more efficient. Rumor is he takes like a billion vitamins a day so he has a chance of living until the singularity, but he'd be better served by advocating true free market money.

http://www.singularitysummit.com/

Oh goody! More elites gathered to tell us how humanity "wants" to augment irreversibly with machines and how it is a natural step in evolution. I'm glad they can remind us of how much we all desire their 'futurist' vision - the one that has been beaten into our heads via the culture industry for the last century+.
netrin

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 05:21:08 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2011, 06:42:01 PM by netrin

Fair enough, I'm not in the same league as chodpaba when it comes to making models for forecasts. All I really wanted to prove was based on prior bubbles, bitcoin doesn't behave like one.

...any longer. Bitcoin went parabolic in May and overshot in June. Unlike Nasdaq (though a bit like Gold), bitcoin has done this several times in the past score months, most notably October, November 2010.

TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:49:11 PM

Netrin,
        Exactly - there are long plateaus before we have spikes. Wouldn't be surprised if we just flatten out for a while before the next event, whatever it may be.

netrin

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 10:58:18 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2011, 09:42:46 PM by netrin

What I find fascinating about comparing this bubble/plateau cycle with October and March, is that the May-June bubble was three times longer in duration and I expect that the plateau will be three times longer as well. The trade volumes were 100 times greater. It's also worth noting that the April-July parabolic rise was almost ten times greater than Oct-November, which makes the comparison quite easy to eyeball and estimate. A drop to $3 is not impossible, though if my time-scaled voodoo is predictive, then I also expect a parabolic beyond $100 by Easter.

TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:10:19 AM

Interesting how things work out, eh?

I'm ready to take some medicine as well - I thought it would stabilize around the 5.00 area, but instead it declined to the low above 2.00 around late November 2011.

Things improved off the lows from late Nov. '11 through Jan. '12, finally plateauing at 4.50 - 5.00, where I thought it would end up in the first place.

We've also had a modest rise thanks to other events in the world, most notably the ongoing erosion of the Eurodollar. This sunday June 17th, 2012 should be very interesting, as Greece will be on the threshold of either staying in the Euro or not.

In conclusion, bitcoin is *NOT* a bubble. Smiley

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:13:04 AM

Interesting how things work out, eh?

I'm ready to take some medicine as well - I thought it would stabilize around the 5.00 area, but instead it declined to the low above 2.00 around late November 2011.

Things improved off the lows from late Nov. '11 through Jan. '12, finally plateauing at 4.50 - 5.00, where I thought it would end up in the first place.

We've also had a modest rise thanks to other events in the world, most notably the ongoing erosion of the Eurodollar. This sunday June 17th, 2012 should be very interesting, as Greece will be on the threshold of either staying in the Euro or not.

In conclusion, bitcoin is *NOT* a bubble. Smiley

i'll be d*mned!  looks who's back!  welcome TraderTimm.  we missed you.  glad to see you didn't give up entirely. 

Ponzi's don't bounce and this latest rise is healthy and sustainable.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:41:15 AM

i'll be d*mned!  looks who's back!  welcome TraderTimm.  we missed you.  glad to see you didn't give up entirely. 

Ponzi's don't bounce and this latest rise is healthy and sustainable.

I've been busy Smiley

Good to see ya, cypherdoc. I feel the current monetary problems around the world will be a catalyst for bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: